Old 15-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Chas

Default Advice please on Hanging Baskets

We've been watering our hanging baskets daily.
Then all of a sudden the compost is bone dry.

We do not have ware retaining capsules in the pot .

I do remember r my mother telling me that you should immerse the
basket in water every 10 days or so - does anyone have any advise
on how we can keep the soil moist.

Thanks

Charles

Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Cat

"Chas" wrote in message
We've been watering our hanging baskets daily.
Then all of a sudden the compost is bone dry.

We do not have ware retaining capsules in the pot .

I do remember r my mother telling me that you should immerse the
basket in water every 10 days or so - does anyone have any advise
on how we can keep the soil moist.

Thanks

Charles

You can get some gel stuff from garden centres, too, which you just mix with
the compost when you plant up your baskets. The crystals load up with
water, then release it slowly into the compost.
Cat(h)

Old 15-06-2003, 06:56 PM
JennyC

"Chas" wrote in message
We've been watering our hanging baskets daily.
Then all of a sudden the compost is bone dry.

We do not have ware retaining capsules in the pot .

I do remember r my mother telling me that you should immerse the
basket in water every 10 days or so - does anyone have any advise
on how we can keep the soil moist.

Thanks Charles

Emergency treatment :
Dunk in a bucket / bath / shower tub until soaked though
Don't let it dry out again :~))
Water twice a day - early morning and again in the evening

You can also saw the bottom of a clear plastic drink bottle - upend it
in the basket and fill with water. it will slowly release water and
help keep the soil moist.

Jenny

Old 16-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Chas
writes
We've been watering our hanging baskets daily.
Then all of a sudden the compost is bone dry.

We do not have ware retaining capsules in the pot .

I do remember r my mother telling me that you should immerse the
basket in water every 10 days or so - does anyone have any advise
on how we can keep the soil moist.

As other have said they can need watering more than once a day. Warm and
windy weather is the worst.

An automatic watering system is the only way we could manage to keep
ours going all summer sooner or later they would get too dry and they
never seemed to recover properly after that.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 16-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:42:58 +0100, Chas wrote:

We've been watering our hanging baskets daily.
Then all of a sudden the compost is bone dry.

We do not have ware retaining capsules in the pot .

I do remember r my mother telling me that you should immerse the
basket in water every 10 days or so - does anyone have any advise
on how we can keep the soil moist.

When you water, water *three* times, letting the basket drain
each time.

This ensures that the soil is thoroughly saturated and
incidentally washes out any salts from fertilizer build-up.

You should apply a liquid fertilizer weekly *after* watering.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 16-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Chas

Thank you for all your help

Will try the feeder bottle for a while.

To the rest of you greenfingers - thank you for your help

Regards

Charles - Bonnie Scotland