Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Colin Davidson

Default New Allotment, part two...

Thanks for all of the suggestions in response to my request for advice on
the new allotment. Here's an update on what I found when I went to pick a
plot on Friday, and what I've done since.

There were several empty plots, and it came down to a choice of two. Both
had sheds, were right next to each other, but one had a well established
rhubarb patch and a little bit of horseradish so I plumped for that one.
Other than the rhubarb and horseradish it's got some nettles by the end,
which looked good and healthy, so I figured that this was the one. The rest
of the plot was rotivated maybe a month ago, so there are a few little
annual weeds to dig in and a wee bit of bindweed, grass and some little
thistles that'll need pulling out.

The little shop on site had some seed spuds left, and I figured that I might
get away with planting some this late. Of the available varieties desiree
was probably the best, and as it's fairly resistant to slug damage I went
for that one. I planted five rows of those, and then went on to plant some
carrot seeds (an 'early' or fast growing variety), spring onions, leaf
radish, chard and large leaved sorrel. That patch is essentially where I'm
putting the things that aren't too fussy (with the onions to ward off carrot
fly from their neighbouring carrots, the chard and sorrel being
indestructable once they get going).

The organic content of the soil ain't bad; I guess the stuff rotivated in
has helped. At one end I'm saving a patch for leaf veg next year, and I
thought I might begin with some green manure followed by some more
traditional manure in winter (as soon as I can find a good supply of that).
Fenugreek makes a good green manure, or so I'm told, and has the advantage
of smelling and tasting great.

I've got lots of stuff in the garden to go into the plot now too. Sprouting
broccoli that needs more space, chard that's too tightly packed, red cabbage
thinnings that can go in, and more lettuce seedlings than I've got room for.
I'll dig in what compost I can find to make a nice patch for those. I've
also got some cuttings of red and white currants, which ought to be happy
wherever they're put. Sitting at home are also some more peas and dwarf
runner beans, planted and waiting to sprout. Quick growing varieties that
should give me a harvest to extend into autumn the summer crop I'm beginning
to harvest in the garden.

On order are a whole load of seeds for summer and autumn planting; thanks
for the suggestions, I've followed many of them up and gone to Nickys
Nursery website to see what looked interesting. Amongst other things I've
got turnips, kale, kohl-rabi and winter cabbages on their way.

My only real problem now is sourcing as much horse manure as I can find, and
getting it to my plot. That and the fact that with only about a fifth of my
own plot dug over, the empty patch next to it is also looking tempting, and
if I don't take that and want more space in future it'll be hard to get an
adjoining one... And they're so cheap to rent...