Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Bob Hoath

Default Concrete lawn edgeing

Hi all

I want to put lawn edging in, and have seen suitable moulded 1/2 round
concrete edging (650mm*150mm) at the local DIY superstore. Is it simply a
case of digging a slot and dropping the blocks in, or is more work required
to do the job properly. I know this is not plant related, but would
appreciate guidance.

TIA

BobH

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
david

As the saying goes, it all depends ... If you want to mow "over" the edge,
it must be level with the grass or just lower; if there is a path on one
side, how high is the revealed edge? If very high (say 6" or more), you may
be best blocking the edging with mortar.
I use blocked concrete edging for path to lawn edges, or drive to raised
lawn, and plastic (green, snake effect) for flower bed to lawn. |The latter
has the advantage you can do as you say, dig a slot, and drop it in.
David

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Paul Kelly

In ,
david typed:
As the saying goes, it all depends ... If you want to mow "over" the
edge, it must be level with the grass or just lower;

The edge should be just above SOIL level. that way the grass does not
overgrow the edge as quickly but the mowere will mow over.

pk

Old 25-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Mike Lyle

"Bob Hoath" wrote in message ...
Hi all

I want to put lawn edging in, and have seen suitable moulded 1/2 round
concrete edging (650mm*150mm) at the local DIY superstore. Is it simply a
case of digging a slot and dropping the blocks in, or is more work required
to do the job properly. I know this is not plant related, but would
appreciate guidance.

If you can get some old bricks, consider using them instead: you may
find they look more natural with plants, and they may even be free
(mine were!) I laid them on the flat not on edge, frog down, a bit
lower than the grass. Half-bricks mixed in are fine, and help make
nice curves. Mine aren't all the same colour, and not even all exactly
the same size; once they're in the variation is quite subtle, and for
me just adds to the mature-looking effect. They certainly improve the
look of my rather horrid crushed-limestone paths (I've never been able
to afford a top layer of gravel).

Mike.
Old 25-06-2003, 10:56 PM
ned

david wrote:

snip
I use ..........
plastic (green, snake effect) for flower bed to
lawn. |The latter has the advantage you can do as you say, dig a
slot, and drop it in.

How I hate the plastic edging! I've had it in two gardens - one I
installed (yes, its easy to install) and one I inherited.
When it ages it goes brittle and is susceptible to cracking and
splitting which leaves razor sharp edges just waiting to slice weeding
fingers.

I much prefer brick edging for curves and concrete edging for straight
runs (neither of which should need foundations if they do not see a
lot of 'traffic' - and if it does sink, its easy enough to pack it up
again).

--
ned

Old 04-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Jeff Coles

Hi, to do the job correctly you should "bed" concrete edging in a trench
filled with a wet concrete mix.
If you don't do this you will find that wet conditions and frost will move
your edgings out of alignment over a period of time.

Jeff

Concrete under lawn DaveJ86 Lawns 1 09-04-2011 04:47 PM
Replace Concrete with a Lawn In a WET area With Poor Drainage pookey United Kingdom 14 09-08-2006 01:12 PM
Concrete lawn edgeing Bob Hoath United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 11:44 AM
lawn on concrete.. please advise cerealtrader Lawns 2 29-05-2003 11:44 PM
Lawn bordering concrete patio Mike Lawns 4 01-05-2003 02:44 AM