Old 26-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Ophelia

Default Composting Tea Bags

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY.

thankew thankew...I knew there would be at least one kind person here)

Old 26-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Tim

Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet
(?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

I found this on Google, unfortunaltely it's just gossip, as there are no
links or hint at an actual reference.
Tim.
Old 26-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"andrewpreece" writes:

| Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet (?)
| of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
| criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
| It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
| ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
| the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
| easy on you!!!

Don't accept the propaganda of the Little England fanatics as
truth - most of it is VERY far from that!

In the UK, 95% of what is blamed on EU rules and bureaucracy is
due to Whitehall, which is damn good at finding excuses to do what
they want to do and passing the blame onto someone else. After
many years of the practice, I am glad that even the Torygraph has
FINALLY realised that the practice of 'gold plating'[*] is the
norm, even though it still publishes mainly anti-EU propaganda.

There is also the fact that these directives and other regulations
usually start off by being proposed and even pushed by countries'
bureaucrats on the EU committees. At least once or twice, and I
believe many more times than that, the UK has demanded some that
were not wanted by almost anyone else, only to then claim in public
that they were all the fault of the EU!
[*] Taking an EU directive, such as a requirement to control an
area to avoid cross-border crime or health problems, and building
it up into a total ban or extreme bureaucratic requirement.

Give credit where credit is due. And do the same for blame.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Brian Watson

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrc6gxqhwxhha1@localhost...
Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet
(?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

I found this on Google, unfortunaltely it's just gossip, as there are no
links or hint at an actual reference.

Try Daily Mail/Telegraphs archives. Both are famous for this sort of "silly
season" EU stuff.

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, Winner of the English and Welsh Village of the Year

Old 26-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Brian Watson" writes:

| Try Daily Mail/Telegraphs archives. Both are famous for this sort of "silly
| season" EU stuff.

Don't forget the Sun. Unfortunately, despite the complete drivel
they publish, they are used by the majority of the UK as the main
source of their political viewpoints. We are not yet as bad as
the USA in this respect, but are getting there.

Cocaine only rots your nose - those papers rot your mind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Tim

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:44:47 +0200, Tim
wrote:

Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet
(?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

I found this on Google, unfortunaltely it's just gossip, as there are no
links or hint at an actual reference.
Tim.

all I could find were these:
National Compose Week - no you don't need a licence.
http://www.environment-
agency.gov.uk/yourenv/289595/?lang=_e&region=&projectstatus=&theme=&subject=&se archfor=compost&topic=&area=&month=

and :
Q4. Do I need a License to compost at home?

No. Householders are excluded from the requirement to have a waste
management license for a composting site. This requirement only applies to
"establishments and undertakings". The amended Animal By-products Order
will also exempt domestic households from the need to be licensed by the
State Veterinary Service to compost catering/kitchen waste.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

I can find no hints at all that this might be true. I can conceivably see
the reg. being applied to commercial composting companies.

Tim.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Pickle

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Don't forget the Sun. Unfortunately, despite the complete drivel
they publish, they are used by the majority of the UK as the main
source of their political viewpoints. We are not yet as bad as
the USA in this respect, but are getting there.

You mean if I read it in the Sun it might not be true???? (world falls
apart)
That might mean Eastenders isn't real!

Old 26-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Pickle" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
|
| Don't forget the Sun. Unfortunately, despite the complete drivel
| they publish, they are used by the majority of the UK as the main
| source of their political viewpoints. We are not yet as bad as
| the USA in this respect, but are getting there.
|
| You mean if I read it in the Sun it might not be true???? (world falls
| apart)

I am afraid that almost everything printed in the Sun is artificially
enhanced.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article oprrc8yshiwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:

| and :
| Q4. Do I need a License to compost at home?
|
| No. Householders are excluded from the requirement to have a waste
| management license for a composting site. This requirement only applies to
| "establishments and undertakings". The amended Animal By-products Order
| will also exempt domestic households from the need to be licensed by the
| State Veterinary Service to compost catering/kitchen waste.

In a word, "crap". The 1999 order makes composting of any animal
products illegal - the correct answer to the question is "yes". The
correct question to which the answer is "no" is "Will I need ...".

| http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

It isn't a major point, but this document attempts to hide the fact
that the Animal Byproducts Order 1999 was a balls-up.

| I can find no hints at all that this might be true. I can conceivably see
| the reg. being applied to commercial composting companies.

Look at the actual Statutory Instrument - I found it quickly using
Google. From 1999 onwards, the situation was as I described.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:50:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:40:19 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

no and yes

Fank goodness *giggle*

You'll be needing one of these then
http://www.nettrader.co.uk/custom/lambswoolduster/

Why?

Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Ophelia

"Pickle" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Don't forget the Sun. Unfortunately, despite the complete drivel
they publish, they are used by the majority of the UK as the main
source of their political viewpoints. We are not yet as bad as
the USA in this respect, but are getting there.

You mean if I read it in the Sun it might not be true???? (world falls
apart)
That might mean Eastenders isn't real!

It is not! Only Coronations Street is real

Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Tim

Tim writes:
| | and :
| Q4. Do I need a License to compost at home?
| | No. Householders are excluded from the requirement to have a waste
| management license for a composting site. This requirement only
applies to | "establishments and undertakings". The amended Animal By-
products Order | will also exempt domestic households from the need to
be licensed by the | State Veterinary Service to compost
catering/kitchen waste.

In a word, "crap". The 1999 order makes composting of any animal
products illegal - the correct answer to the question is "yes". The
correct question to which the answer is "no" is "Will I need ...".

It says in the link this refers to the 2001 amendment of the 1999 order, so
I'm sure it's in effect now.

| http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

It isn't a major point, but this document attempts to hide the fact
that the Animal Byproducts Order 1999 was a balls-up.

| I can find no hints at all that this might be true. I can conceivably
see | the reg. being applied to commercial composting companies.

Look at the actual Statutory Instrument - I found it quickly using
Google. From 1999 onwards, the situation was as I described.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hang on, what are we talking about here? I was looking for info about how
far the compost heap should be placed, and to the part of the quote that
suggested we might need a licence. My comment "I can find no hints at all
that this might be true....." was not meant to apply to the defra link, but
the link from the article that I thought I'd put in my post but obviously
didn't....oops.

Tim.

Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Tim

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:23:17 +0100, Ophelia
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:50:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory

that
some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags

into
the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

no and yes

Fank goodness *giggle*

You'll be needing one of these then
http://www.nettrader.co.uk/custom/lambswoolduster/

Why?

Because you're a loony. :-)
Tim.
Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Essjay001

paul pettet wrote:
I've recently started to begin recycling everything I can at home,
and was wondering if I can put tea bags on my compost heap. Will the
bags rot down or do I just rip them and compost the actual tea. We
tend to use a hell of a lot of tea bags in our house.

From the Telegraph

Compost could be a heap of trouble
By Charles Clover, Environment Editor
(Filed: 02/05/2002)

THE ubiquitous television gardener Alan Titchmarsh advocates composting and
the Government, it was thought, was all for it.

But in the middle of National Compost Week, it has been discovered that
throwing potato peelings, teabags or cauliflower leaves on your heap can be
illegal.

Composting kitchen waste, as good gardeners have done through the ages, can
violate regulations designed to prevent the spread of animal disease.

In 1999 the Government drew up new rules to prevent the spread of highly
contagious diseases, such as swine fever and foot and mouth, by scraps of
meat - a real fear since the last outbreak of swine fever was blamed on a
rambler's ham sandwich.

The regulations forbid the spreading of compost made from materials prepared
in the same premises as meat on land where livestock are likely to graze.

Livestock, for the purposes of the regulations, include wild birds. So any
gardener who spreads compost made from kitchen waste on land accessible to
birds is theoretically guilty of an offence if he or she does not dig it in.

The implications of the Animal By-Products Order 1999 have been discovered
by the National Trust, which has been trying to find out what it needs to do
to make its many compost heaps comply with the law.

Yesterday the trust announced that it had had to stop using "green"
vegetable waste from its catering outlets as a result of the 1999 Order.

Tamzin Phillips said: "It presents us with some interesting challenges. We
cannot compost the leaves off the cauliflowers, the teabags or the coffee
grounds."

Only vegan households would not be acting illegally in composting their
kitchen waste under the trust's interpretation of the law.

An embarrassed spokesman at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural
Affairs said the regulations were never intended to cover compost. A "risk
assessment" was being carried out on compost this month, after which the
department would look at the regulations again.

Peter Ainsworth, the Tory environment spokesman, said: "This is another
story of staggering incompetence. My advice is to carry on composting. It is
good for the environment."

Old 26-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Ophelia

newsprrdbugggwxhha1@localhost...
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:50:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory
that
some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags
into
the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

no and yes

Fank goodness *giggle*

You'll be needing one of these then
http://www.nettrader.co.uk/custom/lambswoolduster/

Why?

Because you're a loony. :-)

sigh.. I suppose so Careful though 'cos I am a loony with a
loooooooonggggggggg reach

home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Composting tea bags MPost Lawns 5 13-09-2005 01:14 PM
tea bags gramgill United Kingdom 57 04-02-2005 01:06 PM
Tea bags and coffee grains. GaryM Gardening 7 25-10-2003 04:22 AM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 03:20 PM