Old 13-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Mike Roscoe

Default Butterflies

The glorious weather is bringing a few interesting butterflies into my edge
of town garden. I now have a resident Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, Holly Blue
and the usual Small Whites. Today I was surprised to see a Comma taking an
interest in my pelargonium flowers, I haven't seen a Comma butterfly in my
garden for quite a few years, things are looking up!

Mike Roscoe

Old 13-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Pickle

"Mike Roscoe" wrote in message
. Today I was surprised to see a Comma taking an
interest in my pelargonium flowers, I haven't seen a Comma butterfly in my
garden for quite a few years, things are looking up!

Mike Roscoe

Must be a good year for Commas Mike, we have seen several in and around our
garden this year. Normally we might just see one.

Old 15-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Andy Spragg

Warwick pushed briefly to the front
of the queue on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:20:53 +0100, and nailed this to
the shed door:

^ In article ,
^ says...

^ "Mike Roscoe" wrote in message
^ ...

^ . Today I was surprised to see a Comma taking an
^ interest in my pelargonium flowers, I haven't seen a Comma butterfly in my
^ garden for quite a few years, things are looking up!

^ Must be a good year for Commas Mike, we have seen several in and around our
^ garden this year. Normally we might just see one.

^ Since someone brought up the topic....
^ Does anyone know what this one is.
^
^
http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/urg/flutterby1.jpg
^ http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/urg/flutterby2.jpg
^
^ There isn't anything that quite matches it in our wildlife book, but
^ that only has 5 pages of butterfly pics.

Great picturs. Against all the odds, it appears to be a Comma ...

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."

Old 16-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
[...]

*chuckle*

Having been told that. A google with the keywords "Comma butterfly UK"
confirms it.

I don't know if there's any conservation society tracking sightings of
what appears to be a recovering population, but this one turned up in
Leicester.

As to the pictures, I tend to have the camera near to hand around the
house and garden most of the time and that Comma was courteous enough to
stay still while I crept in gradually, although it wouldn't listen to me
willing it to turn around a bit.

For a photo of wildlife complying with the 'turn around you bugger'
willpower I need to go back to March and..

http://www.affordable-afpers.co.uk/m...frog3small.jpg

Wariwck

Old 16-07-2003, 08:06 AM
Aileen Howard

We have a large Buddleia which is flowering profusely, and which doesn't
appear to attract butterflies at all. Bees love it, but since it's common
name is 'butterfly bush' - I am wondering why this is? Can anyone tell me
please?

Aileen

Old 16-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Malcolm

In article , Aileen
Howard writes
[...]

It's called the butterfly bush because butterflies love it! However,
there are many different kinds and some seem to have more nectar that
butterflies like than others. We've got two different ones and one is
much more popular with butterflies than the other, while bees use them
both.

--
Malcolm
Old 16-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Aileen Howard

Thanks Malcolm, I obviously have the wrong one! Never mind, I'm happy that
it makes the bees happy.

Regards, Aileen

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Aileen
Howard writes

Old 16-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Andy Spragg

Malcolm pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:23:45 +0100, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ In article , Aileen
^ Howard writes

^ We have a large Buddleia which is flowering profusely, and which doesn't
^ appear to attract butterflies at all. Bees love it, but since it's common
^ name is 'butterfly bush' - I am wondering why this is? Can anyone tell me
^ please?
^
^ It's called the butterfly bush because butterflies love it! However,
^ there are many different kinds and some seem to have more nectar that
^ butterflies like than others. We've got two different ones and one is
^ much more popular with butterflies than the other, while bees use them
^ both.

I'd bet yours is the light mauvey version rather than the dark purple
version. We had one of each in our garden when I was a lad and I
always noticed that the dark purple version was much more popular.

Andy

Old 16-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Malcolm

In article , Andy Spragg
writes
[...]

Have you been spying on my garden??

We have one of each :-)

--
Malcolm

Old 16-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Aileen Howard

Actually mine is quite a deep purple:-( I'm not sad because of the colour -
it's good - but it lacks butterflies.

Regards, Aileen

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Andy Spragg
writes

Old 20-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Lee and Kath

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:02:36 +0100, "Aileen Howard" wrote:

Actually mine is quite a deep purple:-( I'm not sad because of the colour -
it's good - but it lacks butterflies.

Regards, Aileen

'Our' butterfies pefer the flowers on the prvet hedge. If you don't cut it too often (for those who
like a slightly wilder garden) it flowers well and the bee love it too.
Incidently do Small Coppers migrate? We have dozens of them in the garden but they only appeared in
the last few days.

Kath
Old 21-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Andy Spragg

Lee and Kath pushed briefly to the front of the
queue on Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:51:52 +0100, and nailed this to the shed
door:

^ On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:02:36 +0100, "Aileen Howard" wrote:
^
^ Actually mine is quite a deep purple:-( I'm not sad because of the colour -
^ it's good - but it lacks butterflies.
^
^ Regards, Aileen
^ 'Our' butterfies pefer the flowers on the prvet hedge. If you don't cut it too often (for those who
^ like a slightly wilder garden) it flowers well and the bee love it too.
^ Incidently do Small Coppers migrate? We have dozens of them in the garden but they only appeared in
^ the last few days.

/Dozens/? Oooh, you lucky so-and-sos. I don't think I've seen that
many in my entire life - and they're one of my favourites. Tell you
what I /have/ seen just today, though - several Peacocks in the
garden. Big deal, you might say - well, yes, except they are the first
I have seen this year. And they were all rich and lustrous and
scale-perfect, so like your Small Coppers, I reckon my Peacocks must
be freshly-hatched. I wish I knew where from - I've never managed to
find Peacock caterpillars in the wild, despite over 30 years of
looking (not non-stop, you understand).

So fear not Aileen, your buddleia may yet produce the goods - it does
seem to have been a very late year for the species that really get off
on buddleia this year. And I still haven't seen a single Painted Lady
this year yet - weren't we supposed to have been inundated with them a
week or three ago?

Andy

Old 21-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Aileen Howard

Thanks to you all for the replies - I live in hope!

Regards, Aileen

wrote:
^
[...]

Gaura Whirling Butterflies Natty_Dread Gardening 3 26-04-2003 07:56 PM
Attracting Butterflies Luke Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
White Butterflies Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Caterpillars and Butterflies Jack United Kingdom 5 28-03-2003 08:44 PM
Attracting Butterflies Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:13 AM