Old 19-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Roy Gillett

Default Electric strimmer

I've aquired, second hand, a hefty electric strimmer/brushcutter. It's a
GMESS, it says on the casing. It originally came from Screwfix, I think.
It's supposed to have an interchangeable head, either a strimmer head (which
really does make short work of grass) or a four pointed blade for more
troublesome undergrowth. But I can't get the strimmer head off to put the
blade on. The instruction manual is less than helpful, being just a
succession of obscure drawings.

Has anyone got any experience of this model who can help?

Old 19-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Amanda Pope

Be very careful with brushcutters. Make sure you wear steel toe capped boots
and full face visor.

These things are lethal
I will not allow my staff to use them without full training.

I suggest you go on a course see local agricultural or horticultural
college or ask groundsmaintenance dept of local council.

It is very important.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Oliver Critchley

"Roy Gillett" wrote in message ...
I've aquired, second hand, a hefty electric strimmer/brushcutter. It's a
GMESS, it says on the casing. It originally came from Screwfix, I think.
It's supposed to have an interchangeable head, either a strimmer head (which
really does make short work of grass) or a four pointed blade for more
troublesome undergrowth. But I can't get the strimmer head off to put the
blade on. The instruction manual is less than helpful, being just a
succession of obscure drawings.

Has anyone got any experience of this model who can help?

I recently bought one of these from Screwfix and have been well
impressed with it. I haven't tried the brushcutter blade yet, but I
seem to remember that the strimmer head simply screwed onto the drive
shaft. Presumably the thread is such that the action of the drive
shaft tightens the screw. So I guess you ought to be able to remove
the strimmer head with a bit of brute force.

Oliver
Old 05-08-2003, 12:02 PM

Roy Gillett wrote:
I've aquired, second hand, a hefty electric strimmer/brushcutter. It's a
GMESS, it says on the casing. It originally came from Screwfix, I think.
It's supposed to have an interchangeable head, either a strimmer head (which
really does make short work of grass) or a four pointed blade for more
troublesome undergrowth. But I can't get the strimmer head off to put the
blade on. The instruction manual is less than helpful, being just a
succession of obscure drawings.

Has anyone got any experience of this model who can help?

My McCullogh has an anti-clockwise thread holding the strimmer head or
brushcutter balde onto it. Try 'unscrewing' it the other way! :-)

I actually wrote a letter to McCullogh complaining about the poor
ergonomics and isntructions because, while it's fine as a strimmer, it
does do its best to be awkward in all sorts of ways.

--
Chris Green )