Old 27-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Pam Moore

Default HDRA Competition; printing error

Did anyone see the dreadful, multiple misprint in the HDRA magazine in
a competition, connected with Duchy Originals to win a day at
Sandringham?
I read; "Which glasshouse pest would you be trying to control if you
introduced ENCARCIO FORMULA BIOCENTRE?"

I could see what it was meant to be but only when I looked on the HDRA
web site did I find the correction to say that it should say ENCARSIA
FORMOSA BIOCONTROL.

How could anyone get it so wrong! It gave me a good laugh, which is
likely to be all I'll get from the competition!

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-07-2003, 12:23 AM
mandy thomas

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did anyone see the dreadful, multiple misprint in the HDRA magazine in
a competition, connected with Duchy Originals to win a day at
Sandringham?
I read; "Which glasshouse pest would you be trying to control if you
introduced ENCARCIO FORMULA BIOCENTRE?"

I could see what it was meant to be but only when I looked on the HDRA
web site did I find the correction to say that it should say ENCARSIA
FORMOSA BIOCONTROL.

How could anyone get it so wrong! It gave me a good laugh, which is
likely to be all I'll get from the competition!

Pam in Bristol

Sounds like someone ran it through a spell-checker and accepted all the
alternative spellings without realising they were doing so.

Old 28-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:04:00 +0100, "mandy thomas"
wrote:

Sounds like someone ran it through a spell-checker and accepted all the
alternative spellings without realising they were doing so.

Mandy, you could be right. I heard on radio yesterday a discussion
about Lewis Caroll's Jabberwocky. Apparently someone tried a spell
checker on the poem and came up with something very different!

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Sounds like someone ran it through a spell-checker and accepted all the
alternative spellings without realising they were doing so.

Mandy, you could be right. I heard on radio yesterday a discussion
about Lewis Caroll's Jabberwocky. Apparently someone tried a spell
checker on the poem and came up with something very different!

Apparently it's also been translated in to several languages, including
French, German and Clingon. How you 'translate' something in which every
verb, adverb, noun and adjective of note is a made-up word is beyond me!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 28-07-2003, 02:12 PM
martin

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:43:25 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Sounds like someone ran it through a spell-checker and accepted all the
alternative spellings without realising they were doing so.

Mandy, you could be right. I heard on radio yesterday a discussion
about Lewis Caroll's Jabberwocky. Apparently someone tried a spell
checker on the poem and came up with something very different!

Apparently it's also been translated in to several languages, including
French, German and Clingon. How you 'translate' something in which every
verb, adverb, noun and adjective of note is a made-up word is beyond me!

like this? :-)
and 57 other languages http://www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/

Il brilgue: les tôves lubricilleux
Se gyrent en vrillant dans le guave.
Enmîmés sont les gougebosqueux
Et le mômerade horsgrave.

Garde-toi du Jaseroque, mon fils!
La gueule qui mord; la griffe qui prend!
Garde-toi de l'oiseau Jube, évite
Le frumieux Band-à-prend!

Son glaive vorpal en main, il va-
T-à la recherche du fauve manscant;
Puis arrivé à l'ambre Té-té,
Il y reste, réfléchussant.

Pendant qu'il pense, tout uffusé,
Le Jaseroque, à l'oeil flambant,
Vient siblant par le bois tullegeais,
Et burbule en venant.

Un deux, un deux, par le milieu,
Le glaive vorpal fait pat-à-pan!
La bête défaite, avec sa tête,
Il rentre gallomphant.

As-tu tué le Jaseroque?
Viens à mon coeur, fils rayonnais!
Ô jour frabbejais! Calleau! Callai!
Il cortule dans sa joie.

Il briligue: les tôves lubricilleux
Se gyrent en vrillant dans le guave.
Enmîmés sont les gougebosqueux
Et le mômerade horsgave.

--
Martin

Old 28-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim W

mandy thomas wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did anyone see the dreadful, multiple misprint in the HDRA magazine in
a competition, connected with Duchy Originals to win a day at
Sandringham?
I read; "Which glasshouse pest would you be trying to control if you
introduced ENCARCIO FORMULA BIOCENTRE?"

I could see what it was meant to be but only when I looked on the HDRA
web site did I find the correction to say that it should say ENCARSIA
FORMOSA BIOCONTROL.

How could anyone get it so wrong! It gave me a good laugh, which is
likely to be all I'll get from the competition!

Pam in Bristol

Sounds like someone ran it through a spell-checker and accepted all the
alternative spellings without realising they were doing so.

Yes indeed... Also shows that it was not adeqeately proofread by
someone knowledgeable about Horticulture. Otherwise it would have been
spotted.

Even more fun if you run them through an automated thesaurus. Did this
with a fire notice once.. Great fun
Old 30-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered User

Apparently it's also been translated in to several languages, including
French, German and Clingon. How you 'translate' something in which every
verb, adverb, noun and adjective of note is a made-up word is beyond me!

HDRA adopt-a-veg scheme-But Cheaper? Wane Smooth United Kingdom 0 23-06-2007 04:04 PM
plant label printing Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 9 29-08-2006 08:33 PM
HDRA Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 27-08-2005 01:25 PM
Potato varieties and a trip to the HDRA jane United Kingdom 21 05-02-2004 08:06 PM
Daily Telegraph error! sacha United Kingdom 0 08-02-2003 06:04 PM