Old 27-08-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant label printing

Has anyone tried using those new Dymo or Brother labellers? Some I know
are on laminated or paper tape but I am sure there are some tapes that
are plastic. I recently saw a labelled plant with that type of label
stuck onto a normal white label and it looked really quite legible and
professional.
Has anyone got a labelling machine that can do plastic labels that will
withstand outdoor use?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-08-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Has anyone tried using those new Dymo or Brother labellers? Some I know
are on laminated or paper tape but I am sure there are some tapes that are
plastic. I recently saw a labelled plant with that type of label stuck
onto a normal white label and it looked really quite legible and
professional.
Has anyone got a labelling machine that can do plastic labels that will
withstand outdoor use?

We use the "old fashioned" dymo tape ( the embossed type) stuck onto large
plastic labels to label our allotment. Lasts years.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-08-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Has anyone got a labelling machine that can do plastic labels that will
withstand outdoor use?

There are two types. some hotfoil the print onto the outside of the
plastic substrate, others transfer it to the middle of a
clear-print-background sandwich.

I have used the second type, a Dymo 4500, to label subsea equipment
towed through the ocean at up to 6 knots. If it can survive that it
can survive anything.

That said, the only really indestructable labels appear to be embossed
metal. I have used stainless and aluminium strip - the stainless has
sharp edges.

Old 28-08-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet,
I have been using a Brother machine with produces a laminated adhesive
tape. I have stuck this onto 4" plastic labels and the text remains
perfectly ledgible. The main issue is the spapping of the plastic
label itself. However seems to keep hold if directly affixed to the
plant pot itself
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 29-08-2006, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

We use the "old fashioned" dymo tape ( the embossed type) stuck onto large
plastic labels to label our allotment. Lasts years.

I wondered if the new printers might be better. I have am old Dymo
wotsit but some letters don't always come out as clear unless you press
REALLY hard.

Janet

Old 29-08-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from "cliff_the_gardener" contains
these words:

Janet,
I have been using a Brother machine with produces a laminated adhesive
tape. I have stuck this onto 4" plastic labels and the text remains
perfectly ledgible. The main issue is the spapping of the plastic
label itself. However seems to keep hold if directly affixed to the
plant pot itself
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

I too have one of these Brother labellers and the tape does last very well.

There are a couple of slight disadvantages. Firstly it is slower than
you might think to cut the tape, peel off the backing and stick them on
and secondly it wastes quite a lot of the tape which is in fact rather
expensive.
Janet G
Old 29-08-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

spapping

Is this a technical term or another
Super Pointless Annoying Post
Old 29-08-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote after Bob Hobden waffled on

We use the "old fashioned" dymo tape ( the embossed type) stuck onto large
plastic labels to label our allotment. Lasts years.

I wondered if the new printers might be better. I have am old Dymo wotsit
but some letters don't always come out as clear unless you press REALLY
hard.

Yes, the "old" type do wear out quickly IME.
We have looked at the new label printers, Dymo, Brother etc and just don't
know if their labels work as well/last as long. They are rather expensive to
buy just to see.
We stick them on the 10 inch plastic labels you can get mail order.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 29-08-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Yes, the "old" type do wear out quickly IME.
We have looked at the new label printers, Dymo, Brother etc and just don't
know if their labels work as well/last as long. They are rather expensive to
buy just to see.
We stick them on the 10 inch plastic labels you can get mail order.

Oh good idea. I have seeds that have now got "brown bag, sown august
2006 looks interesting" on the label as the name wore off
I do give away a lot of cuttings and if people can't read the names
properly it does get interesting.

Thanks Bob and everyone else.

Janet

Old 29-08-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Galpin
writes

There are a couple of slight disadvantages. Firstly it is slower than
you might think to cut the tape, peel off the backing and stick them on
and secondly it wastes quite a lot of the tape which is in fact rather
expensive.
Janet G

That's that I thought janet. Must look for the other types to compare.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

HDRA Competition; printing error Pam Moore United Kingdom 6 30-06-2011 07:15 PM
young trees, lost label! Victoria Clare United Kingdom 3 25-06-2003 06:56 PM
Thailand enforce GM label from May 11 and bans the use of GM-free labelling Torsten Brinch sci.agriculture 0 25-04-2003 02:32 PM
Label question? Claude Orchids 1 24-03-2003 05:32 PM
Rant--why don't nurseries label things better? Tony Gardening 41 12-03-2003 01:21 AM