Old 03-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Stephen Howard

Default sunday noise

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:54:10 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In general, there is no offence or law breaking in having a bonfire.
Where you 'can' get them is for being a nuisance.

The law tends to kick in under two circumstances - where noxious fumes
are being produced ( which constitutes a health risk ) and where smoke
drifts across a road and obscures the view on the carriageway

Of course in both cases the hard part is getting an official to the
scene quick enough to witness it.

If you're very lucky you might see them use their smoke density colour
cards!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim W

Gilbert wrote:

Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...
:O)

And we live behind the local open air public pool!-)

Aren;t we lucky!
//
Jim
Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim W

bnd777 wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Gilbert" wrote in message
Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...
:O)
Cheers!
Gilbert

It's not just Sunday.

But today, as often, we have the boom boom boom of an Event happening in a
large park about four miles away. Why does the bass part of 'music' have

be put out so loud?

We can't say anything because this is from the Leeds Mela - the Asian
festival - and if we complained we could be labelled racist.

Incidentally, we went to the Mela last year and it was loud music of all
kinds, a funfair, tacky and unrelated to Asican culture sales pitches and
fast food outlets. We weren't enticed to go again so we have to suffer the
noise even from this distance.

Interestingly, a son and family are with us this weekend and daughter in

law
commented that no-one was allowed to make any noise (mowers etc.) on
Saturday afternoons or Sunday all day in Germany, where they were posted

for
a while.

I'm warming to Germany ...

Mary

Yes and shops are closed from Sat lunchtime to Monday AM
You have to clear the snow from your frontages by a certain time
and they have height versus species controls on trees and hedges around
houses

Ja,.. Alles in ordnung;-)

's gut, Ja?!-)
//
Jim
Old 03-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Jim W

Mike wrote:

In article , Jim
Paterson writes

"Gilbert" wrote in message
Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...
:O)
Cheers!
Gilbert

We are inundated with various noise problems from neighbouring gardens also
the local pyromaniac lives a few doors away and his greatest joy (it would
seem) is to have a cloud of noxious fumes drifting in our direction usually
on a beautiful day after a period of wet when his combustible material is
thoroughly saturated.
Now I'm afraid I have developed the, 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
attitude and do what I need to do with as little regard for the neighbours
as I get from them.
I do wish Councils would use the clout that they possess instead of
pussyfooting around with 'Warning letters' which do absolutely nothing.
I better stop before I really get started. Sore point here.

In general, there is no offence or law breaking in having a bonfire.
Where you 'can' get them is for being a nuisance.

Indeed, no laws only 'bye laws' in some places.. Or rules on
allotments.. In Mancs for example they are only allowed bonfires on the
plots from I think Nov - March..

Generally I try and follow the 'bye laws' and a modicum of common sense.
Burn dry material and only on a day with adequate wind. Do not burn in
the evening. You are aiming for a quick, hot, efficient burn.. Not a
prolonged smouldering

HOWEVER, be warned. Once you make a complaint against/about a neighbour,
then this pops up on the questions when you come to sell. :-((

A friendly word works wonders :-))

Been there, done that, got the peace and friendliness :-))

Mike

Friends you chose, neighbours your lumbered with.

------ GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE, THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED: Don't
sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.

Old 03-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:20:41 +0100, "Gilbert"
wrote:

Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler their
around their grassy acres?

Nope, but as soon as can afford one I will.

It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...

I rather think I'd very much enjoy my garden a whole lot more if it
didn't take 4 or so hours to mow the lawn ( which is why its rather
long at the moment.... it's, er, a wildlife garden, guv ).
I'm rather hoping it's possible to steer a ride-on mower AND wield a
tinny at the same time!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 03-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I'm warming to Germany ...

Gott mit Uns.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Mike contains these words:

/snip/
A friendly word works wonders :-))

Been there, done that, got the peace and friendliness :-))

I can't complain about any of my neighbours, unless the effort of being
equally thoughtful of their interests counts?

Old 04-08-2003, 02:48 AM
anne

10am approx... rap music... 10.15am approx... booming bass possibly to drown
out rap. 11am, ice cream van. 11.30am approx rap stops. 12 noon approx,
child on recorder... contant toot toot for one hour approx. And I can still
hear that bass. 1pm ice cream van. 1.30pm approx all kids seem to converge
on grass area below (I'm in a flat) - sounds like 10 school playgrounds. 2pm
approx, a number of adult residents approx 10 of, converge on grassed area
and complain to somone in one of their flats that they can't hear the
music - rap from 2pm until 4pm approx - I close all windows and doors. 4pm
ice cream van. 5pm until 7pm approx ... peace - I can actually hear the
traffic. 7pm ice cream van - 7.15pm (approx) until dark (approx 10pm) adults
re-converge on grassed area - rap during convergence.

I think I will move - and this isn't sunday noice, this is everyday noise,
and if anyone complains of a lawn mower again I will shoot them. God bless
the middle class. You wouldn't know you were born unless I shot you.

Jim W wrote in message
news:1fz4yin.ec2tzxg17jteN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...

Old 04-08-2003, 02:48 AM
anne

and I TOP POSTED just to annoy the petty, moaning, boring, unbelievably
tedious midddle class shites who complain about top posting - find a *real*
problem to complain about please and get a life while you're at it.

Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Annabel

Yes and shops are closed from Sat lunchtime to Monday AM
You have to clear the snow from your frontages by a certain time
and they have height versus species controls on trees and hedges

around
houses

Is it one of those places where the children go to schule on Saturday
am.

Bel

Old 04-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Annabel

"Gilbert" wrote in message
Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers

as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler

their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...
:O)
Cheers!
Gilbert

Spare a thought for those that live in Notting Hill.

Bel

Old 04-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Mich

"Annabel" wrote in message

"Gilbert" wrote in message
Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers

as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler

their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...

I've just read through the whole of this thread.

So, you cant mow your lawn because its too noisy. And for some you cant mow
it anytime!
It doesn't matter whether its Sunday or not - it has to be done sometime.
Sunday is the only day I get! ( and I am bl**dy lucky to get that these days
with 24/7 working practices in commerce.

You cant have a bonfire. its creates smoke. so how should I get rid of the
tree branches etc. from my grassy acres / large garden? Chop 'um up and
stick 'um in the white "recycling" bags that the council provide? How long
do you think that takes?
And it costs me an arm and a leg in those bl**dy bags now, let alone how
much it would cost to bag up everything.
No doubt if I attempt to shred anything , that would also be offensive to
someone too ( noise again).

And of course simply cutting them down is noisy ( motor driven chain saw and
hedge trimmers. My acres have serious hedges and needs serious equipment to
deal with them.

Of course if I let the trees grow someone will complain about my oversized
hedges and their loss of light etc.

You cant have a "party" or enjoy your garden as a recreational feature ( not
as its actually possible to do so unless you cut the grass occasionally -
because the young 'uns are hollering and people make a noise when enjoying
themselves ( well in my experience they do)

Just what exactly are you allowed to do and when?

And I would just like to bet that all of those complaining here are the very
b*ggers who wanted shops to open on Sunday so that they could get their
DIY/Garden bits and make a noise botching it themselves.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Pickle

"Mich" wrote in message

So, you cant mow your lawn because its too noisy. And for some you cant

mow
it anytime!
It doesn't matter whether its Sunday or not - it has to be done sometime.
Sunday is the only day I get! ( and I am bl**dy lucky to get that these

days
with 24/7 working practices in commerce.

Hear hear!

Go placidly amid the noise and haste. Simon Gardening 0 07-02-2004 05:02 AM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM
noise Tumbleweed United Kingdom 14 08-05-2003 07:56 AM
Accoustic landscaping for neighbor noise bentcajungirl Lawns 7 29-04-2003 06:56 PM
Waterfall Noise and Koi Carl Beyer Ponds 2 22-04-2003 03:20 PM