Old 04-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Franz Heymann

Default sunday noise

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Charlie" wrote in message
I am afraid that the absorption coefficient for sound under normal
atmospheric conditions is not very wavelength-dependent and does not

explain
why brass instruments sound so loud. They sound loud because they

really
can produce a hefty sound intensity.

I wasn't talking about Brass, I was talking about bass frequencies.

Please substitute bass for brass and my statement would be even more nearly
correct. Bass instruments generally produce orders of magnitude more sound
intensity than instruments whose gamuts occupy smaller wavelengths...... But
this is far removed from gardening.......

[Franz Heymann]

Charlie.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Franz Heymann

"anne" wrote in message
and I TOP POSTED just to annoy the petty, moaning, boring, unbelievably
tedious midddle class shites who complain about top posting - find a

*real*
problem to complain about please and get a life while you're at it.

Does your vocabularly define you as being a member of the snotnosed toffs or
the great unwashed?

If you were to think for a moment, you might actually gain some
understanding of why in-line commenting is recommended by the newsgroup
community.

[Franz Heymann]

anne wrote in message
10am approx... rap music... 10.15am approx... booming bass possibly to

drown
out rap. 11am, ice cream van. 11.30am approx rap stops. 12 noon approx,
child on recorder... contant toot toot for one hour approx. And I can

still
hear that bass. 1pm ice cream van. 1.30pm approx all kids seem to

converge
on grass area below (I'm in a flat) - sounds like 10 school playgrounds.

2pm
approx, a number of adult residents approx 10 of, converge on grassed

area
and complain to somone in one of their flats that they can't hear the
music - rap from 2pm until 4pm approx - I close all windows and doors.

4pm
ice cream van. 5pm until 7pm approx ... peace - I can actually hear the
traffic. 7pm ice cream van - 7.15pm (approx) until dark (approx 10pm)

adults
re-converge on grassed area - rap during convergence.

I think I will move - and this isn't sunday noice, this is everyday

noise,
and if anyone complains of a lawn mower again I will shoot them. God

bless
the middle class. You wouldn't know you were born unless I shot you.

Jim W wrote in message
news:1fz4yin.ec2tzxg17jteN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Gilbert wrote:

Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers

as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler

their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying

it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...
:O)

And we live behind the local open air public pool!-)

Aren;t we lucky!
//
Jim

Old 04-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Mike

In article , Mich
writes

"Annabel" wrote in message

"Gilbert" wrote in message
Does anyone else have to suffer the constant noise of ride-on mowers

as
the landed gentry, their offspring and friends, whoop and a-holler

their
around their grassy acres? It always strikes me as rather odd that
people spend Sundays working in their garden rather than enjoying it -
preferably with a suitable drink to hand, of course...

I've just read through the whole of this thread.

So, you cant mow your lawn because its too noisy. And for some you cant mow
it anytime!
It doesn't matter whether its Sunday or not - it has to be done sometime.
Sunday is the only day I get! ( and I am bl**dy lucky to get that these days
with 24/7 working practices in commerce.

You cant have a bonfire. its creates smoke. so how should I get rid of the
tree branches etc. from my grassy acres / large garden? Chop 'um up and
stick 'um in the white "recycling" bags that the council provide? How long
do you think that takes?
And it costs me an arm and a leg in those bl**dy bags now, let alone how
much it would cost to bag up everything.
No doubt if I attempt to shred anything , that would also be offensive to
someone too ( noise again).

And of course simply cutting them down is noisy ( motor driven chain saw and
hedge trimmers. My acres have serious hedges and needs serious equipment to
deal with them.

Of course if I let the trees grow someone will complain about my oversized
hedges and their loss of light etc.

You cant have a "party" or enjoy your garden as a recreational feature ( not
as its actually possible to do so unless you cut the grass occasionally -
because the young 'uns are hollering and people make a noise when enjoying
themselves ( well in my experience they do)

Just what exactly are you allowed to do and when?

And I would just like to bet that all of those complaining here are the very
b*ggers who wanted shops to open on Sunday so that they could get their
DIY/Garden bits and make a noise botching it themselves.

You didn't add the things 'I' have to put with when living near the
seaside. ie at the top of the cliffs overlooking the beach and sea shore
of one of the most popular seaside places about.

Jet Ski boats zapping about from morning till night when it is sunny.

Children on the beach yelling and shouting.

Planes taking off from the nearby airfield doing 'Pleasure Flights'
around the bay.

Planes taking off towing a glider ready to release when out over the sea
and then going back for another one.

The stunt plane doing his practice for exhibitions over our house and
local area.

Helicopters, both private and military sweeping over the bay at eye
level to us.

The visiting motorists not reading the notice at the end of the road "No
access to Beach or Cliff" and then asking how to get to the Beach or
Cliff.

People parking their cars outside and on Double Yellow lines, locking
them up, complete with alarm, and then going down the steps to the beach
for the day.

And then in the Evening we have the smells from the Take Aways and/or
BBQ's either on the beach or the nearby hotels.

And I wouldn't change any of it :-))

I dropped 5 ranks on the GPO in Leicester to return to the Isle of Wight
in 1971

:-))

Needing someone is like needing a parachute.
If they aren't there the first time, chances are you won't be needing them
again.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Gilbert

"Mich" wrote...

I've just read through the whole of this thread.
So, you can't mow your lawn because its too noisy.
And for some you can't mow it anytime!

Er, not so. The point was made about making a lot of noise on Sundays in
particular -
with reference to the Germans and their laws - not about lawnmowing
itself.

It doesn't matter whether it's Sunday or not - it has to be done

sometime.
Sunday is the only day I get! ( and I am bl**dy lucky to get that

these days
with 24/7 working practices in commerce.

How you organise your life, what job you choose, hours you work, etc. is
not a matter of luck. Much more likely to be related to your social
aspirations (but let's not have a debate on the class-ridden British
rat-race, eh?)

You can't have a bonfire. it creates smoke - so how should I get rid

[...]

Have a bonfire, if local bye-laws permit, but do it at a sensible time,
i.e. not when the wind blows the smoke all over your neighbours washing,
etc., etc. And again, if you accept the responsibility of owning trees,
etc, then *be* responsible. If Sunday really is the only time you get,
then a polite word with your neighbour to explain the situation before
you whazz away with a chain saw wouldn't go amiss...

You cant have a "party" or enjoy your garden as a recreational feature

( not
as its actually possible to do so unless you cut the grass

occasionally -
because the young 'uns are hollering and people make a noise when

enjoying
themselves ( well in my experience they do)

Parties now and then are fine, it's constant loud music that is
offensive to some.
When I'm having a party I either let my neighbours know in advance or,
better still, invite them along.

Just what exactly are you allowed to do and when?

Anything, so long as you allow consideration for your neighbours.
It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

And I would just like to bet that all of those complaining here are

the very
b*ggers who wanted shops to open on Sunday so that they could get

their
DIY/Garden bits and make a noise botching it themselves.

Perhaps you're right, people do seem to live in states of contradiction.
But my argument is not with noise or bonfires or rusty old washing
machines in front gardens... it's about the lack of consideration people
show for each other.

Don't work too hard
#:O)

Gilbert

Old 04-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Charlie

"Charlie" wrote in message

Please substitute bass for brass and my statement would be even more

nearly
correct. Bass instruments generally produce orders of magnitude more

sound
intensity than instruments whose gamuts occupy smaller wavelengths......

But
this is far removed from gardening.......

Thanks for the info. Just finished Physics and Music Technology A levels
and this wasn't what we were taught. Ah well, it wouldn't be the first time
the education system had lied.

Charlie.

Old 04-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Mich

"Gilbert" wrote in message

"Mich" wrote...

with reference to the Germans and their laws - not about lawnmowing
itself.

Well mores the pity they didnt keep the same laws here.... but they didnt

And before you make comments about aspirations and occupatioins, you should
be careful not to make assumptions.

How you organise your life, what job you choose, hours you work, etc. is
not a matter of luck. Much more likely to be related to your social
aspirations (but let's not have a debate on the class-ridden British
rat-race, eh?)

I have no CHOICE . I have a job - the only one I can get . But since
unemployment is pretty high in rual areas, then I guess I am *posh* just
being able to find one.
I do not CHOOSE my hours of work. My employer chooses them for me.
Sunaday is the only day I get to do anything at home. They rest is working
just to make ends meet.
And I dont earn a high wage.

Have a bonfire, if local bye-laws permit,

The by lawas here do permit and I do have bonfires regularly. I am careful
about my fires. The same cannot be said for the local farmers here though.
Most of my *neighbours* dont have washing lines, let alone put washing
"out". I am the only one who does that! They have tumble dryers and decking
on the patio.

I have a lawn and vegitable beds and greenhouses and fruit trees.

If Sunday really is the only time you get,
then a polite word with your neighbour to explain the situation before
you whazz away with a chain saw wouldn't go amiss...

No one is polite enough to tell me their plans so why should I tell them
mine?
In to do so would be considered intrusive in these parts.
I therefore whazz away as the needs must.
Again my local farmer runs up the lane 24/7/365 , with heavy mahines,
cutting, ploughing etc. He doesnt consider my needs either. he has 150
acres. I only have 5.

And by the way - I dont have parties. They dont invite me, so I would I want
to invite them to anything here?

I cant afford parties.
Only the bl**dy incomers who have sold up in London and bought cheap here
and living the life of riley do that.

I work to keep the land I have. The land is essential to feed me on my low
wages. It supliments my income.

The landed gentry dont do their own dirty work. They contract people in (
and pay b*gger all wages too!)

Old 04-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Mich

"Gilbert" wrote in message

"Mich" wrote...

Just what exactly are you allowed to do and when?

Anything, so long as you allow consideration for your neighbours.
It's not exactly rocket science, is it?

So , let me get this straight.
If I want to mow my lawn , I have to ask permission first - and if they say
no, I cant do it.

If I want a bonfire, I have to aske permissiopn first - and if refused , I
cant do it.

If I want to cut my hedges - which I have to do as a responsible person, I
have to ask permission as to time and place, and accommodate the wishes of
others.

If I want a party, I not only have to ask permission of my neighbours, I
have to invite them too.

Perhaps you're right, people do seem to live in states of contradiction.
But my argument is not with noise or bonfires or rusty old washing
machines in front gardens... it's about the lack of consideration people
show for each other.

And who considers my situation?

Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Essjay001

Here we go again!

--
Steve R

Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Essjay001

Mich wrote:
I've just read through the whole of this thread.

So, you cant mow your lawn because its too noisy. And for some you
cant mow it anytime!
It doesn't matter whether its Sunday or not - it has to be done
sometime. Sunday is the only day I get! ( and I am bl**dy lucky to
get that these days with 24/7 working practices in commerce.

Change your job!

[...]

I dare say that those who complain would suggest that your problems are your
problems as long as you don't interfere with their p&q.

It would however be ideal if we had laws as they do in Germany they do
actually work very well in giving people quiet weekends. I am sure you will
agree that the very limited time that you get to chill out would be better
spent doing just that. If as you say you are working 24/7 you are heading
for a heart attack, is that what you really want?

Steve R

Old 04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Essjay001

Mich wrote:
So , let me get this straight.
If I want to mow my lawn , I have to ask permission first - and if
they say no, I cant do it.

If I want a bonfire, I have to aske permissiopn first - and if
refused , I cant do it.

If I want to cut my hedges - which I have to do as a responsible
person, I have to ask permission as to time and place, and
accommodate the wishes of others.

If I want a party, I not only have to ask permission of my
neighbours, I have to invite them too.

Perhaps you're right, people do seem to live in states of
contradiction. But my argument is not with noise or bonfires or
rusty old washing machines in front gardens... it's about the lack
of consideration people show for each other.

And who considers my situation?

Chill out Dude you'll live longer

Steve R

Old 04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Mich

"Essjay001" wrote in message
I dare say that those who complain would suggest that your problems are

your
problems as long as you don't interfere with their p&q.

And I would suggest to those who complain that the problems they have are
their problems and I would rather they didnt interfere with my peace and
quiet and my hobby( gardening)

If as you say you are working 24/7 you are heading
for a heart attack, is that what you really want?

If you had read a further posting I made you would know that living where I
do jobs are scarce and having one is a luxury. I cannot change jobs as there
are none to change to.
I am aware of the health risk. are you aware of the benefical effects of
gardening both in reducing stress and in health giving exersise?

if so, then you will understand why I need my garden and my activities
therein.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

and I TOP POSTED just to annoy the petty, moaning, boring, unbelievably
tedious midddle class shites who complain about top posting - find a *real*
problem to complain about please and get a life while you're at it.

And I generally delete top-posted replies unread because they so seldom
have anything intelligent to say, but your shouting grabbed my
attention.

I did though, delete your other one unread.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Mich" contains these words:

And who considers my situation?

Jesus wants you for a sunbeam.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

and I TOP POSTED just to annoy the petty, moaning, boring, unbelievably
tedious midddle class shites who complain about top posting - find a *real*
problem to complain about please and get a life while you're at it.

And I generally delete top-posted replies unread because they so seldom
have anything intelligent to say, but your shouting grabbed my
attention.

I did though, delete your other one unread.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste. Simon Gardening 0 07-02-2004 05:02 AM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM
noise Tumbleweed United Kingdom 14 08-05-2003 07:56 AM
Accoustic landscaping for neighbor noise bentcajungirl Lawns 7 29-04-2003 06:56 PM
Waterfall Noise and Koi Carl Beyer Ponds 2 22-04-2003 03:20 PM