Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Jayne

Default Pumpkins?

I have pumpkins of all sizes on my 3 plants. Several of them are quite big
now, but as this is the first time I've grown them I'm not sure *when* to
harvest them. I've read that they need to be "hardened" before storage, but
when do you know they are ready to be picked?
Any tips appreciated!

Jayne

Old 09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Jayne" wrote in message
I have pumpkins of all sizes on my 3 plants. Several of them are quite big
now, but as this is the first time I've grown them I'm not sure *when* to
harvest them. I've read that they need to be "hardened" before storage,

but
when do you know they are ready to be picked?
Any tips appreciated!

I would have said when they start to go yellow they are becoming ripe, and
when fully yellow with the stem looking a bit dry then they are ready, but
this year because of the tropical heat and total lack of rain they are
growing yellow from the start for me. 2gals of water a day, as usual, hasn't
made a difference.
Just wait until Sept and they will have to be cut off then before the frost
anyway, and unless you have mice about they won't come to any harm outside.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:45:53 +0000 (UTC), "Jayne"
wrote:

I have pumpkins of all sizes on my 3 plants. Several of them are quite big
now, but as this is the first time I've grown them I'm not sure *when* to
harvest them. I've read that they need to be "hardened" before storage, but
when do you know they are ready to be picked?

Before first frosts and before Hallowe'en!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Jayne

Thanks Bob & Pam. They are very orange right now - there are about 3 biggish
ones & lots more smaller ones, so I suppose I'll just leave them until
September.

Pam - I'm near Bristol & this weather is hotter than summers in South Africa
where I used to live! I think we could've all grown tropical crops this
year!!

:-)
Jayne

Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 PM

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:34:18 +0000 (UTC), "Jayne"
wrote:

Pam - I'm near Bristol & this weather is hotter than summers in South Africa
where I used to live! I think we could've all grown tropical crops this
year!!

Considering how early the last frost was this year and how warm it has
been at times, I think I'll take some chances on the allotment next
year - does anyone have any suggestions? I have saved seed from
various types of melon that we have eaten this summer so I'll give
some of them a try (especially the small Galia melons).
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk

Old 10-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Bob Hobden

Stuart wrote in message :

Pam - I'm near Bristol & this weather is hotter than summers in South

Africa
where I used to live! I think we could've all grown tropical crops this
year!!

Considering how early the last frost was this year and how warm it has
been at times, I think I'll take some chances on the allotment next
year - does anyone have any suggestions? I have saved seed from
various types of melon that we have eaten this summer so I'll give
some of them a try (especially the small Galia melons).
--

Well we have grown our chillies outside for years and they grow good and hot
that way, plants tend to grow short and compact but loads of fruit when it's

Old 10-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

wrote:

Pam - I'm near Bristol & this weather is hotter than summers in South Africa
where I used to live! I think we could've all grown tropical crops this
year!!

Considering how early the last frost was this year and how warm it has
been at times, I think I'll take some chances on the allotment next
year - does anyone have any suggestions? I have saved seed from
various types of melon that we have eaten this summer so I'll give
some of them a try (especially the small Galia melons).

Melons need more warmth than pumpkins, so are even tricker. The
lateness of the frost doesn't help much, as there isn't enough
sunlight after September to be useful for ripening.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM