Old 14-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Pam Morris

Default Horizontal plants - ideas please

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel bed.

TIA.

Pam.

Old 14-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim W

Pam Morris wrote:

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel bed.

Try looking up 'horizontalis' and 'prostata' on the web.. There are
conifers, willows, some of the more 'bushy' ivies (I have one that looks
like box) though strictly thats spreading. Don;t forget the Sedums in
that position either. I'm sure thate are some more appropriate latinate
species that reflect growth habit but those are the first 2 that spring
to mind.
//
Jim
Old 14-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:38:07 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel bed.

What about a prostrate yew such as Taxus baccata 'Summer Gold' or one
of the prostrate junipers, such as juniperus communis 'Green Carpet'
or juniperus squamata 'Blue Carpet'? Not quite sure how fast they
grow, though.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply
Old 14-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think

of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one

of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel

bed.

What about a prostrate yew such as Taxus baccata 'Summer Gold' or one
of the prostrate junipers, such as juniperus communis 'Green Carpet'
or juniperus squamata 'Blue Carpet'? Not quite sure how fast they
grow, though.

The last one you mention is in fact quite fast. I had to start controlling
mine after 2 years.

Franz

Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel bed.

How about some of the vinca minor (periwinkle). There are white and
blue flowered varieties. It spreads beautifully even under other
shrubs.

Pam in Bristol

Old 15-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Pam Morris" contains these words:

Can anyone suggest/recommend horizonal growing plants - preferably
evergreen, low maintenance & fast(ish) growing. The only one I can think of
is the prostrate cotoneaster and that's only because I already have one of
them! Planting position will be a south facing, slightly sloped gravel bed.

TIA.

There are some horizontal junipers such as Juniperus horizontalis
'Prince of Wales' or J. horizontalis 'Youngstown'. They're probably not
as fast growing as Cotoneaster but they're certainly low maintenance.
There are also different horizontal cotoneasters in addition to C.
horizontalis - for example, C. x suecicus 'Coral Beauty' - but that may
be the one you have already.
Janet G