Old 17-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Mick

Default Cuttings advice needed

Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Thanks Mike.

Old 17-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Bob Hobden

"Mick" wrote in message
Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Certainly it's the time to take cuttings for overwintering, Pelargonium and
lots of other similar half hardy plants. Never worth trying to keep your old
large Zonal Pels (wrongly called Geraniums) overwinter, just take cuttings
now which will root before winter and you can keep lots of those little
plants ready for next season. Never overwater Pel cuttings, water once at
the start and leave until dry before watering again.
N.A.Kays can supply all the watering system bits you would need and at a lot
less that I've seen in the GCs. Order their catalogues (and marvel at the
way they list things).

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Jim Paterson

(
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Certainly it's the time to take cuttings for overwintering, Pelargonium

and
lots of other similar half hardy plants. Never worth trying to keep your

old large Zonal Pels (wrongly called Geraniums) overwinter, just take
cuttings

While not disputing the wisdom of taking cuttingd I have had a couple of
zonals which I grew from seed survive outdoors (albeit by a south wall) for
at least 4 maybe 5 years now. Jim

now which will root before winter and you can keep lots of those little
plants ready for next season. Never overwater Pel cuttings, water once at
the start and leave until dry before watering again.
N.A.Kays can supply all the watering system bits you would need and at a

lot
less that I've seen in the GCs. Order their catalogues (and marvel at the
way they list things).
Bob

Yes I'll definitely drink to that, maybe that's what Kays catalogue compiler
was doing too as it does have a wierd arrangement. Some of the spelling
could be better too but the contents are worth searching for. Jim
Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 17-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Rod

"Mick" wrote in message
Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Thanks Mike.

Bob has mentioned Pelargonium cuttings - it really isn't worth overwintering
your big old plants so do get on with taking the cuttings - rooting will get
progressively worse as you get nearer to autumn. Quite a few shrub cuttings
(sem-ripe wood) you can take now and in the next few weeks, then in November
you can take hardwood cuttings of many shrubs. Just try a few of whatever
you've got. It's fine to read about propagation (indeed you must) but you
won't *know* it 'til you've done it so have a go.

Rod

Old 17-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim W

Mick wrote:

Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Loads of things.. Beg buy or borrow a copy of the Propagators Handbook
or the Nursery Stock Manual.

Sooo many things can be propagated at this time of year its crazy to
start listing but here's what I have in the GH at the mo rooting.

Several species of Passiflora, some Abutilon megapoticum, several
cultivars and species of Buddlia (outside, though these are better taken
when dormant), a number of houseplants such as Begonia, Tradescantia (5
types). Some Perlagonium tomentosum.

Need to do.Need to do the Plumbago (which is flowering right now). And
some more Fuchsia and Perlagonium (I tend to grow mainly the scented
ones). Basically anything that I want more of thats ripe or semi ripe I
will either look up or give a shot at. You don't say, specifically, what
you have. Try looking up the plants latin name (Genus species) and
propagate with google. THis is what I do when general listings (such as
in the RHS books) are no help.
//
Jim

Old 18-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome ,

Here's what I'm rooting cuttings of atm; all easy. The pelargonium
ones are in a pot because they will have to be taken in during winter;
but everything else I've done both in pots (in gritty compost)and just
sticking them in the garden soil where I want the plants to grow.

Fuchsias, hardy and tender
Pelargonium with intense purply black large flower
Hebes
Myrtus Glangleam Gold
Escallonia

Janet

Old 19-08-2003, 02:05 AM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

Hi, this is not so much as an answer to your question, but rather a "happy
accident", last year (December) while tending a friends garden I cut down to
the ground 2 fuchsia shrubs. Rather than going to the bother of disposing of
them, I noticed there was a lot of bare soil in the borders which seemed to
attract the attention of all the neighbourhood cats, full of c**p, so I
stuck all the fuchsia cuttings in the spare ground to make it awkward for
the cats to do there stuff. And as a bonus many had actually rooted by the
spring. In late spring the old wood was cut down to the new growth , and I
have just potted most of them up. My friend as plans to give them away to
other friends and neighbours.

-- Jeff

( remove the troll to reply).

http://uk.profiles.yahoo.com/aquitanium

Winston Churchill in a reply to a nasty letter:
Sir, I am in the smallest room in the house and before me I have your
letter,
soon it'll be behind me.

Old 19-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Mike Lyle

"Rod" wrote in message ...
"Mick" wrote in message
Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Thanks Mike.

Bob has mentioned Pelargonium cuttings - it really isn't worth overwintering
your big old plants [...]

If there's room, you can keep a few flowering on windowsills all the
year round: I find it's very cheering in the depth of winter to have a
blaze of pelargoniums going. These will be a bit leggy and
weak-flowering the following year, so should then be replaced with
ones you've raised from cuttings.
Forget Christmas cactus!

Mike.
Old 19-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Mike Lyle

"Rod" wrote in message ...
"Mick" wrote in message
Hi, Any advice on cuttings to be taken around the garden at this time if
year would be welcome , also advice on
propogation methods as well , and automated waterering on a small scale (
very forgetful )
Are there any web sites with info of this available worth looking up .

Thanks Mike.

Bob has mentioned Pelargonium cuttings - it really isn't worth overwintering
your big old plants [...]

If there's room, you can keep a few flowering on windowsills all the
year round: I find it's very cheering in the depth of winter to have a
blaze of pelargoniums going. These will be a bit leggy and
weak-flowering the following year, so should then be replaced with
ones you've raised from cuttings.
Forget Christmas cactus!

Mike.

Cuttings for Fruit trees/grapes needed Chaudhry Nijjhar United Kingdom 5 26-09-2010 11:44 AM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
clematis armandii cuttings advice dave United Kingdom 0 24-08-2004 09:42 AM
Cuttings advice Mike United Kingdom 19 31-07-2004 07:04 AM
Grape vine cuttings advice wanted Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 22-09-2003 03:55 AM