Old 28-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Mike

Default Cuttings advice

Hi , I annually take cuttings from around my garden : Lavender Convolvulus
Escallonia almost anything ,the cuttings strike readily in sharp sand and
peat , potted and bagged up with elastic bands , but I seam to fail the
plants at the next step , I need to know about timing and growing medium ,
unfortunately I am lapse with watering and would like sugestions on a basic
capillary system .

Mike .

Old 29-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Emrys Davies

'Mike',

As the cuttings take root you need to harden them off gradually by
making a hole in the top of the bag and enlarging it bit by bit until
all is exposed.

When the roots of the cuttings are protruding through the base of the
container pot them on individually into a 3" pot in a good compost (I
use Levington Premium Blend) and keep them moist and in the shade until
well established.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Franz Heymann

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
'Mike',

As the cuttings take root you need to harden them off gradually by
making a hole in the top of the bag and enlarging it bit by bit

until
all is exposed.

This is unnecessary and simply delays the time before the newly rooted
cuttings have access to nutrients.
How could this "hardening off" be done when the cuttings are enclosed
in a glass or solid plastic cloche rather than a poly bag?

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

[snip]

Franz

Old 29-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Doug.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi , I annually take cuttings from around my garden : Lavender

Convolvulus
Escallonia almost anything ,the cuttings strike readily in sharp sand

and
peat , potted and bagged up with elastic bands , but I seam to fail

the
plants at the next step , I need to know about timing and growing

medium ,
unfortunately I am lapse with watering and would like sugestions on a

basic
capillary system .

Mike .

************
All my small plants, rooted or not, I sit in a plastic bowl. which is
kept wet. The method is a good survival regime..
I ask Her Indoors to buy those thin clear deepish plastic "bowls" which
contain jelly and custard. I scoff the contents, - not all at once, -
natch!.
I carefully drill about five small holes around and about a quarter of
an inch from the top rim.
I fill the bowls to just below the height of the holes with peat, sit
the plantpot on the peat, and water top and bottom, -i.e., the plantpot
and the bowl. There are all sorts of small containers you can use,
It works well but if they're left in the greenhouse don't fly off to
Lanzarote for a fortnight.
(In fact, don't fly off to that place at all, go to the moon instead.)
LOL!.
Doug.
***********

Old 29-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 29-07-2004, 05:38 PM
Kay

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted up in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

I usually start my cuttings in a pot (about a dozen to a pot) and wait
till I have roots through the bottom before gently separating and
potting up. I wouldn't say I had a good rate in striking cuttings, but I
have no problems at all in keeping them going once they have rooted.

--
Kay

Old 30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The newly rooted cuttings would fare better if they were potted

up in
a good potting compost as soon as roots are detected.

If by "good", you mean "rich", I'm not so sure that's good
advice. Too rich a compost may give the tender young roots
indigestion, so to speak. I root my fuchsias in perlite and wait
until they have a rootball about an inch or so through before
potting them on into something vaguely resembling JIP1.

I usually start my cuttings in a pot (about a dozen to a pot) and

wait
till I have roots through the bottom before gently separating and
potting up. I wouldn't say I had a good rate in striking cuttings,

but I
have no problems at all in keeping them going once they have rooted.

Do you use sand, sand/peat, sand/potting compost or potting compost
for rooting them in the first place?

Franz

Old 30-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann