Old 19-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Kate Morgan

Default Hysteria over Ragwort

snip
Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
action.

So what is wrong with that, it was a request.People dont have to do it
if they dont want to and I did not shout.
kate
Old 19-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kate Morgan writes:
| snip
| Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
| everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
| people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.
|
| It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
| action.
|
| So what is wrong with that, it was a request.People dont have to do it
| if they dont want to and I did not shout.

You have just said in the section you have just snipped that it was
"just a simple comment about ragwort". I was pointing out the
error in that statement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2003, 10:48 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Franz,

as has already been mentioned.

'Me too' posts with the entire original article are the bane of newsgroups.

It doesn't take much effort to edit.

Cheers
Dave R

Old 19-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message

It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
action.

.....M'Lud.

--
Rusty
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 19-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Thanks for injecting a little realism into the picture.

May I offer you a free pair of scissors too, Franz?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
Old 19-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from billy_bunter contains these words:

Nice post - I think that should shut them up....

It won't. How about a bit of snipping?

Old 19-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:26:14 +0100, Rusty Hinge wrote:

But who believes Government press releases, especially about weeds of
mass destruction?

Kate, obviously.
Old 19-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Tom Warner

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
snip
Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

It wasn't a simple comment - you were asking people to take
action.

So what is wrong with that, it was a request.People dont have to do it
if they dont want to and I did not shout.
kate

Well I for one will not be removing it from the (very small) area of my
garden where it grows.
Its a native plant and supports a lot of native species.
If you keep livestock then get rid of it by all means, but I don't see why
the average garden should pose any risk to you.
If you are worried about it seeding over your land then look no further than
the embankment of your nearest motorway!
Tom

Old 19-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Tom Warner wrote:

[...]

.... and anyway the way to *keep* ragwort off pasture is to manage the
pasture properly, it won't colonise good pasture to any significant
extent, it thrives on bare (or nearly bare) land. (which is why we're
having more trouble than usual at the moment because our fields are
much barer than they should be at this time of year, hot weather)

--
Chris Green )

Old 19-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Kate Morgan
writes
snip
being referred to was OTT in any particular way. (Maybe the original
post was but it soon developed into quite a sesible discussion)

There was no hysteria in the original post - mine - nor was it OTT,just
a simple comment about ragwort.

Well, you did ask me to get any ragwort out of my lawn. And I've no
intention of letting your horses or anyone else's anywhere near my lawn.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-08-2003, 02:12 PM
billy_bunter

spluttered almost incoherently...:

billy_bunter wrote:
[big snip]

To see more of the myths debunked you can visit :-
http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Nice post - I think that should shut them up....

While having considerable sympathy with the OPs comments, I don't
really understand what you mean by "I think that should shut them up".
The original Ragwort thread was actually quite wide ranging and
interesting and I really didn't see much 'hysteria' in it. There
*are* places where you will find what might be called hysteria about
the effects of ragwort but I don't really believe that the thread
being referred to was OTT in any particular way. (Maybe the original
post was but it soon developed into quite a sesible discussion)

(... and please snip when you add a one line comment in response to a
multi-line post)

I will post how and where I like, thank you very much.
Old 19-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , billy_bunter
writes

I will post how and where I like, thank you very much.

Of course you will.

And I now know that any post from you is likely to be a one-liner of
minimal content and not worth the scrolling down.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Edwin Spector

billy_bunter wrote:
snippetty
I will post how and where I like, thank you very much.

Well don't expect people to be arsed to scroll down two pages to find your
one-liner.

Edwin.
Old 19-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Thanks for injecting a little realism into the picture.

May I offer you a free pair of scissors too, Franz?

Hello Rusty,
It was *all* in context and was distinctly worth repeating in order to calm
down the hysteria generated by this tpopic.
By the way, you forgot to indicate that you had snipped. {:-((

Franz

Avian flu - Defra must resist hysteria-led bird massacre Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-04-2006 11:28 AM
Avian flu - Defra must resist hysteria-led bird massacre Christopher Norton United Kingdom 0 07-04-2006 09:38 PM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 121 26-08-2003 11:02 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM