Old 19-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Hysteria over Ragwort

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Franz,

as has already been mentioned.

'Me too' posts with the entire original article are the bane of

newsgroups.

It doesn't take much effort to edit.

In this instance it was a positive decision on my part not to snip, for the
reasons I gave in another post.

By the way, you forgot to indicate that you snipped.

Franz

Old 19-08-2003, 04:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:26:14 +0100, Rusty Hinge wrote:

[snip all]

Is there anyone left who thinks there is still some meat to be had in this
thread, or can we all just let it die a death by now?

Franz

Old 19-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Thanks for injecting a little realism into the picture.

May I offer you a free pair of scissors too, Franz?

Hello Rusty,
It was *all* in context and was distinctly worth repeating in order to calm
down the hysteria generated by this tpopic.
By the way, you forgot to indicate that you had snipped. {:-((

Franz

Old 19-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Kate Morgan

Is there anyone left who thinks there is still some meat to be had in this
thread, or can we all just let it die a death by now?

Franz

Hear Hear, I wish I had never started it :-)

kate
Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

Well, firstly, any ragweed in mown lawns isn't likely to seed.

We don't have a lawn - or any grass (the hens have made sure of that) but I
was surprised to see a healthy and beautiful specimen of ragwort among the
few of our plants which aren't vegetables. I waited until it had finished
flowering - it's really stunning - and then pulled it up.

But I don't really know why ...

Secondly, you refer to it as a "nasty weed" and say "check
everywhere". That contains a STRONG implication that you want
people to ELIMINATE it from their gardens.

I didn't uproot it as a response to that post and I still can't explain why
I pulled it up. Having grown once I assume it will do so again, among the
feverfew, brambles and other things considered undesirable. I promise not to
eliminate it from our garden.

I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it.

Mary

Old 19-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Mary Fisher

Well, you did ask me to get any ragwort out of my lawn. And I've no
intention of letting your horses or anyone else's anywhere near my lawn.

You see, Kay, that's the sort of selfish attitude which prevails among
gardeners.

But perhaps you meant that they could graze anywhere else in your lovely
garden ;-)

Mary

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 19-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Cerumen

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Yet the story has spread. It has appeared in at least two _Government_
press releases and as even been copied by the BBC.

But who believes Government press releases, especially about weeds of
mass destruction?

Or even about the mass destruction of weeds? Anyway somebody leaves a
horse run free and it breaks into my land and eats the ragwort or indeed
nibbles on the Yew, foxgloves, belladonna or any other toxic plants and
trees they get what they deserve?
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 19-08-2003, 07:24 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I think Neil Jones email was altered before it was posted to make it sound
more scientific

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 19-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Tumbleweed

wrote in message
billy_bunter wrote:
[big snip]

To see more of the myths debunked you can visit :-
http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Nice post - I think that should shut them up....

While having considerable sympathy with the OPs comments, I don't
really understand what you mean by "I think that should shut them up".
The original Ragwort thread was actually quite wide ranging and
interesting and I really didn't see much 'hysteria' in it. There
*are* places where you will find what might be called hysteria about
the effects of ragwort but I don't really believe that the thread
being referred to was OTT in any particular way. (Maybe the original
post was but it soon developed into quite a sesible discussion)

Was that the post that said I should kill any ragwort on my lawn in case
that person's horse was poisoned?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 20-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Well, you did ask me to get any ragwort out of my lawn. And I've no
intention of letting your horses or anyone else's anywhere near my lawn.

You see, Kay, that's the sort of selfish attitude which prevails among
gardeners.

But perhaps you meant that they could graze anywhere else in your lovely
garden ;-)

:-)

I most certainly did not ;-)
But if they did, I would not meet out to them the kind of treatment
other urglers are wishing upon cats, thus demonstrating my unselfish
nature.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

Is there anyone left who thinks there is still some meat to be had in

this
thread, or can we all just let it die a death by now?

Franz

Hear Hear, I wish I had never started it :-)

Oh, I don't know: while the subject has generated some heat, it has also
produced a fair amount of light.

It started out all right. I learnt from it. However, it became boringly
repetitive as time went on.

Franz

Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"billy_bunter" wrote in message
news
spluttered almost incoherently...:

billy_bunter wrote:
[big snip]

To see more of the myths debunked you can visit :-
http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Nice post - I think that should shut them up....

While having considerable sympathy with the OPs comments, I don't
really understand what you mean by "I think that should shut them up".
The original Ragwort thread was actually quite wide ranging and
interesting and I really didn't see much 'hysteria' in it. There
*are* places where you will find what might be called hysteria about
the effects of ragwort but I don't really believe that the thread
being referred to was OTT in any particular way. (Maybe the original
post was but it soon developed into quite a sesible discussion)

(... and please snip when you add a one line comment in response to a
multi-line post)

I will post how and where I like, thank you very much.

If that's tour considered attitude, your posts won't reach me. Goodbye,.

Franz

Old 20-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Cerumen

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Cerumen wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Yet the story has spread. It has appeared in at least two _Government_
press releases and as even been copied by the BBC.

But who believes Government press releases, especially about weeds of
mass destruction?

Or even about the mass destruction of weeds? Anyway somebody leaves a
horse run free and it breaks into my land and eats the ragwort or

indeed
nibbles on the Yew, foxgloves, belladonna or any other toxic plants and
trees they get what they deserve?

I have some Brugmansia and Gloriosa as well :-)

My real point was just that really, any garden or land in general will
contain a large number of plants which are toxic to animals and/or humans
but we are not encouraged to destroy them. Brugmansia and Gloriosa are not
native however whereas those examples I gave are.
:-)
When I lived in Wales many years ago I had a friend who kept horses and
his land was well known for wild growing psylocibin? (magic mushrooms) and
I often wondered what his horses made of the effects of those along with
their grazing?
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Avian flu - Defra must resist hysteria-led bird massacre Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 08-04-2006 11:28 AM
Avian flu - Defra must resist hysteria-led bird massacre Christopher Norton United Kingdom 0 07-04-2006 09:38 PM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 121 26-08-2003 11:02 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM