Old 24-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Sacha

Default Collapsing lupins

We have just returned from Jersey and somebody there was telling us that her
Lupins grow, flower and then keel over halfway up the stem. Neither of us
has any idea why - possibly because Lupins won't grow well here at all! The
only possibility that occurred to all of us is that they're plagued with
moles but then we'd expect the whole plant to look a bit displaced and
dishevelled.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-08-2003, 06:02 PM
bnd777

"Sacha" wrote in message
We have just returned from Jersey and somebody there was telling us that

her
Lupins grow, flower and then keel over halfway up the stem. Neither of us
has any idea why - possibly because Lupins won't grow well here at all!

The
only possibility that occurred to all of us is that they're plagued with
moles but then we'd expect the whole plant to look a bit displaced and
dishevelled.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove the 'x' to email me)

probably got dry sandy soil that does not hold moisture no matter how much
compost is piled in to it

Old 25-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Kate Morgan

snip
Same here. Some plants OK, others just 'fell over'. No idea what caused it.
This soil (unlike my other post today) is good (long story).

I must be lucky, I cut my lupins down after the first flowers died off
and got a second lot of blooms, not so big as the first lot but still
good to have

kate

Old 26-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Tumbleweed

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
snip
Same here. Some plants OK, others just 'fell over'. No idea what caused

it.
This soil (unlike my other post today) is good (long story).

I must be lucky, I cut my lupins down after the first flowers died off
and got a second lot of blooms, not so big as the first lot but still
good to have

kate

I have had a second set of flowers off the lupins that survived. About 20%
of them just died for no apparent reason before they flowered, or while the
spikes were developing, but the others are fine :-)
I wondered if it was likely to be slug or snail damage. Certainly slug
pellets around the base of the lupins killed quitea few.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 26-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Aileen Howard

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Have you checked for aphids. I had some lupins a few years ago and they
were absolutely covered, which caused the lupins to keel over and die.

Aileen

Collapsing Mulberry Tree BCL Australia 3 29-01-2005 10:29 AM
sorrel seedlings collapsing Deborah P. United Kingdom 7 31-05-2004 06:19 PM
Collapsing poppy? Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 5 17-06-2003 12:32 PM
Cold outdoor vanda culture (Was: Cym leaves collapsing) Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 1 22-04-2003 11:32 PM
Cym leaves collapsing Liam Orchids 6 21-04-2003 10:20 PM