Old 28-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Stewart Devereux

Default First year Wisteria

I,ve managed, after last years failure to grow a wisteria up a sunny wall
supported by wire. I read lots about pruning but nothing about what to do in
years one and two. After being away for most of the Summer my neighbour has
watered my starting one foot wisteria. On my return it is over six feet and
growing beautifully up the wire. It has a single stem winding up the wire.
The books tell me what to do with side shoots etc, but what should I do with
this yearling and when ? Thanks.

--
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

Old 28-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Bob Hobden

"Stewart wrote in message ...
I,ve managed, after last years failure to grow a wisteria up a sunny wall
supported by wire. I read lots about pruning but nothing about what to do

in
years one and two. After being away for most of the Summer my neighbour

has
watered my starting one foot wisteria. On my return it is over six feet

and
growing beautifully up the wire. It has a single stem winding up the wire.
The books tell me what to do with side shoots etc, but what should I do

with
this yearling and when ? Thanks.

The first thing is to unwind it from the wire. If you don't it will be badly
damaged, cut, by the wire as the shoot expands and thickens and eventually
the wire will break too. When the shoots are still green they are pliable,
it's much more difficult when they mature and turn brown.
Tie it to the wire with jute string (it will break under pressure not cut
like garden wire) and allow plenty of space between the shoots and any
permanent structure, i.e. give it plenty of room going over or around
corners. They get to be quite large heavy trunks eventually.

No doubt you have already decided where this plant is to go eventually so
ensure you have the vine eyes and wires already in place and simply tie the
shoot and next years leading shoot/s into your framework. Dealing with any
side shoots as you must to produce the flowering spurs.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday dealing with a neighbours that had been
growing for a few years without pruning. It was in their loft, around pipes,
electric and telephone wires, gutters, in the neighbours garage. I think
these plants are best grown by control freaks. :-) You can't leave them
for a moment.

They are hard work but worth it.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 29-08-2003, 09:22 AM
MLL

I found an old wisteria at the bottom of My garden.
The old branches are rotten but it has tons of new shoots and is invading
ever nook and cranny of an old shed.
Can I move it, and if I can what do I do to it so that it will bloom?
No worries on the control freak end

MLL

Old 29-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Mike Lyle

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
"Stewart wrote in message ...
I,ve managed, after last years failure to grow a wisteria up a sunny wall
supported by wire. [...]

I spent a couple of hours yesterday dealing with a neighbours that had been
growing for a few years without pruning. It was in their loft, around pipes,
electric and telephone wires, gutters, in the neighbours garage. I think
these plants are best grown by control freaks. :-) You can't leave them
for a moment.

They are hard work but worth it.

A good case of "Don't blame the plant"! We don't always think far
enough ahead when planting, and forget to consider what a plant is
going to look like in its maturity. I've got some fine examples in my
own from-scratch garden, where I used shrubs and trees to get areas
looking cultivated early on, meaning to "edit some out" as they got
too big, and found that in some cases the proportions and views were
still all wrong even after I'd hardened my heart and performed the
extractions. "Garden as though you're going to live for ever", as they
say.

I managed to resist the almost overwhelming temptation to have a
wistaria, as even I could see that the design of my house -- too low,
too many windows -- just wasn't going to be compatible.

Mike.
Old 29-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"MLL"wrote in message ...
I found an old wisteria at the bottom of My garden.
The old branches are rotten but it has tons of new shoots and is invading
ever nook and cranny of an old shed.
Can I move it, and if I can what do I do to it so that it will bloom?
No worries on the control freak end

I doubt you could move it successfully when it's so mature, I understand the
roots are deep. However, as with any plant, if you can't let it stay where
it is then try, it's got two chances. (might take a couple of years to
recover)

Prune out all but a couple of strong shoots and use these to train into a
framework over the next couple of years. (Of course you need something to
make the framework on like a pergola, house, etc) Do not let it make any
other shoots from the roots, yes, it will try over the years.
This main shoot/s will then start to send out other shoots along it's length
and these you cut back to 2 buds either as they extend or just after leaf
fall when you do the major annual tidyup (usually you have to prune off
these wayward shoots to keep the plant under control anyway and to stop it
strangling the family). :-)
This will encourage flowering buds to grow over the winter on these spurs.

It's not difficult, just that it seems so brutal some times.

Old 31-08-2003, 12:22 AM
keith

if you have no room train a wisteria as a standard in a pot, they look
fantastic.i got one off a friend who has trained it from a cutting it is now
5 foot high tied to a cane when it has reached 6 foot pinch out the tip,then
pinch out other growing tips.They are expensive to buy already as a standard
so its worth giving it a go.my friend has done this for a couple of years &
his is flowering.his is now a good sized standard.i also have one growing
over a copper pergola made of tubbing which is yet to flower.patients is
the key to growing wisteria if its not already flowering when you bought it.
keith
Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...