Old 05-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Dan Keeley

Default ripening tomato's?

Hi All,

It was with fear i saw the fog this morning!

For my tomatos most have been planted late - they're nice and juicy and
round, but very very green.

Will they still ripen? ( They're just outside in the garden ) or will i have
to pick them and put them on the windowsill or something?

Never done them before, so please bear with me!

Thanks!
Dan

Old 05-09-2003, 06:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Dan Keeley wrote:
: Hi All,
:
: It was with fear i saw the fog this morning!
:
: For my tomatos most have been planted late - they're nice and juicy
: and round, but very very green.
:
: Will they still ripen? ( They're just outside in the garden ) or will
: i have to pick them and put them on the windowsill or something?
:
: Never done them before, so please bear with me!
:
: Thanks!
: Dan

If you put a ripe tomato or a banana next to them in a warm closet or window
sill they will usually ripen. They do not need light necessarily but warmth

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Dan Keeley" wrote in message
Hi All,

It was with fear i saw the fog this morning!

For my tomatos most have been planted late - they're nice and juicy and
round, but very very green.

Will they still ripen? ( They're just outside in the garden ) or will i

have
to pick them and put them on the windowsill or something?

Never done them before, so please bear with me!

Thanks!
Dan

Fog isn't a problem - tomatoes can go on cropping until the first frost,
which wipes them out.
It depends where you are, but near the sea in Suffolk I have had outdoor
tomatoes still cropping in November (albeit not very enthusiastically).
Dammit - it is only the start of September!
Once one tomato starts to ripen then the rest will follow.
I force ripening by putting the tomatoes in a lunch box or old ice cream
carton (clear one) with at least one ripe tomato and leaving them on a
windowsill.
The 'ripening magic' spreads around and they all ripen quite quickly.
They will not be as sweet as those ripened on the plant - more like
supermarket tomatoes.
As stated elsewhere bannanas are the king for ripening other vegetables and
fruit - close proximity to a ripe bannana does wonders.

HTH
Dave R