Old 10-09-2003, 09:13 PM
trevor.appleton

Default Back to the garden at last- Is it me?

Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the house.

How anyone can think of moving to France I'll never know.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

BTW we have superb sea breezes here in the late afternoon, and I think some
previous recent summers have had hotter evenings here

---

Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Kay Easton

In article ,
trevor.appleton writes
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

No, not just you. I can't work in the heat either. And my neighbour has
been getting up at 6 to do a couple of hours in the garden.

Thnkfully our house has 22 in thick stone walls, and the north facing
rooms stay delightfully cool.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Troy

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:05:51 +0100, trevor.appleton wrote:

Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the house.

That could be me talking - my feelings *exactly* !!
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article ,
trevor.appleton writes
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

No, not just you. I can't work in the heat either. And my neighbour has
been getting up at 6 to do a couple of hours in the garden.

Thnkfully our house has 22 in thick stone walls, and the north facing
rooms stay delightfully cool.

Whereas I am now getting miserable because winter is coming and I
need to put on lots of clothes to work in the garden :-(

My womenfolk are more like you ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 PM
ned

Troy wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:05:51 +0100, trevor.appleton wrote:

Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some
work done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between
June and late Auigust?

This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to

get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the
house.

That could be me talking - my feelings *exactly* !!

LOL. That's the dog in you talking.
You don't need a 'good' excuse for doing nothing.
'Any' excuse will do.
;-)

--
ned

Old 11-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article ,
trevor.appleton writes
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

It's not just you!!
I am exactly the same.
Work like . . . during spring because I know that in summer I will have
to stay inside with the fan on!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"trevor.appleton" wrote in
message ...
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some

work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between

June and
late Auigust?

This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the

house.

How anyone can think of moving to France I'll never know.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

BTW we have superb sea breezes here in the late afternoon, and I

think some
previous recent summers have had hotter evenings here

Hi Trevor,

Me exactly. We couldn't have worked outside during the heatwave
anyway. We did move to France and have never regretted it. Our
climate in Normandie is usually like that of Southern England and this
year was a big shock to everyone and not remotely enjoyable. The
garden has suffered very badly as we couldn't water much and certainly
no hoses. Now though I feel fired up to start again as we had our
first heavy rainfall this week, one day solid, and things are
beginning to green up again.

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Kay Easton wrote in
:

In article ,
trevor.appleton writes
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some
work done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June
and late Auigust?

No, not just you. I can't work in the heat either. And my neighbour
has been getting up at 6 to do a couple of hours in the garden.

I don't like working in the heat of the sun, but I love the summer :
sitting outside in the shade with a book and a drink, and pottering about
later in the evenings without having to put a coat on.

Now the mist has descended once again for the autumn: brrrr. If I want to
spend any time in the garden I will have to work to keep warm...

Mind you, my sister and her partner worked 12 hours solid in the height of
the heatwave, building their new garage. Now that is mad!

Victoria
Old 11-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Jim W

trevor.appleton wrote:

Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?
This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the house.

How anyone can think of moving to France I'll never know.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

BTW we have superb sea breezes here in the late afternoon, and I think some
previous recent summers have had hotter evenings here

Try copying the people of the Med and Canaries etc.. Spanish style,
early work, siesta during the hottest period, then a little more work
and play in the evenings.. It works well in the extremes of summer;-)

Ya know what they say, only Mad dogs etc..
//
Jim
Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
pottering about
later in the evenings without having to put a coat on.

You are lucky - we have to cover up to make sure we don't make dinner
for the midges - occasionally with one of those net hats to boot ((

Old 11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Victoria
Clare writes
pottering about
later in the evenings without having to put a coat on.

You are lucky - we have to cover up to make sure we don't make dinner
for the midges - occasionally with one of those net hats to boot ((

They are a pest in our part of the world, however, they detest citronella
oil.

Franz

Old 11-09-2003, 06:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

trevor.appleton wrote:
: Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some
: work done. Hedges not cut yet.
:
: Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between
: June and late Auigust?
:
: This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
: through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the house.
:
: How anyone can think of moving to France I'll never know.
:
: Trevor
: East Yorkshire
:
: BTW we have superb sea breezes here in the late afternoon, and I
: think some previous recent summers have had hotter evenings here
:
:
: ---

I'm with you, it was far too hot and i am lapping up the cooler days and
evenings. It was a bit muggy today but we have a cool night forecast. I
don't not garden, it's a case of picking, watering and weeding/hoeing when
it's too hot. Autumn is the time to sort things out and I love it

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 09:40 PM
trevor.appleton

Well thats a relief. From talking to everyone at work it seemed it was just
me. Today was case in point - far too warm for me around the middle part of
the day. This weekend looks awful again (25C).

Trevor

Old 11-09-2003, 11:50 PM
A Troll aka Jeff Coles

"trevor.appleton" wrote in message
Finally getting back in the garden now its cooled down to get some work
done. Hedges not cut yet.

Is it just me that finds it too hot to work in the garden between June and
late Auigust?

This 'glorious summer' as many describe it was just something to get
through, with days on end spent cowering in the shade or in the house.

How anyone can think of moving to France I'll never know.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

BTW we have superb sea breezes here in the late afternoon, and I think

some
previous recent summers have had hotter evenings here

---

Oh! what a load of old whingers! The first decent summer we have had in a
few years and what does everybody do? moan : (
Get up early and get out in the garden while it is still cooler, but before
starting work have breakfast, alfresco style, a nice glass of fresh orange
juice and a big bowl of sunny cornflakes : )
Start with the quiet jobs (weeding, dead-heading bug splatting) I don't
suppose the neighbours would appreciate the noise of a chainsaw and what
have you until a little later on. Through the week I would then have to
leave for work at 7.00 am : ( But weekends, lovely continue on until it
gets too warm to work efficiently, sit down have a snack, read the papers
then prepare yourself to go window shopping at Sainsbury's freezer counter
for a few hours. Hopefully by then the fierce heat of the day is past, and
one can continue pottering. COME ON people we have ENOUGH boring weather!
Think sunshine, colour, ice-cream, children splashing in the pool that made
you go dizzy inflating it. We'll soon be back to the miserable weather you
all seem to enjoys so much.

Jeff