Old 17-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Annabel

Default Wine veevil drowning

Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

Old 17-09-2003, 06:32 PM
JennyC

"Annabel" wrote in message
Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has

already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants

in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

Here's what the GTQ experts have to say :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt/fshe...sheetsq8.shtml
Jenny "~(

Old 17-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Pickle

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Annabel" wrote in message
Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has

already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants

in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

Didn't work when I tried it.

Old 17-09-2003, 08:51 PM
cpemma

Annabel wrote:
Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants
in immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Dropping the weevils in a fish pond works well. ;-)

Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "cpemma" contains these words:
Annabel wrote:

Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants
in immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Dropping the weevils in a fish pond works well. ;-)

On a hook?

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.

Old 18-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Drakanthus

Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

No. I had a number of containers with annuals that had lots of vine weevils.
I threw away the plants but tried re-cycling the soil by drowning it
completely in water (to the consistency of thin mud) for over a week. It
didn't work - after drying out the mud there were weevils wriggling in it.
However, as someone else mentioned, throwing individual weevils into a pond
with fish is a satisfying way of disposing of them. The problem is finding
them all. No matter how carefully you look through the soil of an infected
plant it seems impossible to find them all. Perhaps there are still eggs
there or larvae which are too small to see. You can buy vine weevil killer -
but I find this expensive and often more cost effective just to throw the
plant away!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 18-09-2003, 09:32 AM
David Hill

"........ threw away the plants but tried re-cycling the soil by drowning it
completely in water (to the consistency of thin mud) for over a week ....."

A burst of Microwave and they don't make a come back

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"........ threw away the plants but tried re-cycling the soil by drowning it
completely in water (to the consistency of thin mud) for over a week ....."

A burst of Microwave and they don't make a come back

But don't overcook them as they dry out very quickly.

Old 19-09-2003, 01:57 AM
David Hill

"........ threw away the plants but tried re-cycling the soil by drowning
it
completely in water (to the consistency of thin mud) for over a week

......"

A burst of Microwave and they don't make a come back

"But don't overcook them as they dry out very quickly"

Why? does it spoil the flavour?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-09-2003, 02:32 PM
DaveDay34

Hi All,

I had an idea a while ago, but have never tried it, so don't know if it would
work. Here it is. Tell me what you think.

There is at least one product on the market that'll kill off vine weevils, but
being systemic, it's not something you can water in to the soil round
fruit/vegetable crops. The other problem is that it's not suitable for some
plants, from what I can recall, so cannot be used on everything in the garden.
Thirdly, I suppose, it's very expensive, so would be prohibitively expensive
for most people to use on a whole garden.

Taking this all into account, I wondered if it would be possible to
'booby-trap' the garden with the occasional plant that had been treated. This
wouldn't protect any plants in the garden from grubs/larvae, but any adults
wandering around snacking on the 'booby-trap' plants wouldn't last long enough
to lay their eggs. In theory, it should be possible to dot around the odd
treated plant amongst the untreated ones, and at least have some success in
killing off the weevils as they roam around snacking on your prize plants.

Not sure as I've explained the concept very well, but I wonder what anyone
thinks. As far as I'm aware, the little blighters roam and snack over a wide
area, so wouldn't spend their whole lives on a single (untreated) plant, so
there's a good chance of knocking off the majority of adult weevils.

Dave.
Old 20-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Rod Craddock

DaveDay34 wrote:
[...]

That's a very efficient way of breeding a resistant population of the
little blighters.

Rod

Old 20-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Rod Craddock

Annabel wrote:
Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

No. In fact one of the first manifestations of a VW problem is plants
wilting slightly even though they look wet enough. I have often
suspected but never verified in any way acceptable to a scientist that
overwatering encourages the weevils.

Rod

Drowning houseplant - Thank you! Helene Gardening 16 03-07-2004 10:47 PM
Drowning houseplant And Herbs Skirmishd Gardening 1 03-07-2004 04:02 AM
Drowning houseplant bob Gardening 15 03-07-2004 01:02 AM
Help! My dogwood is drowning! Earl Buchan Gardening 0 10-06-2004 06:02 PM
Drowning owls David Hartley United Kingdom 13 03-06-2003 12:32 AM