Old 28-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Philip

Default Roundup - Ssfe or not ?

In a previous thread (Docks around and young apple tree) it was stated that
Roundup was safe to use for a number of reasons. But basically the feeling
was "its been around for a long time and nothing has been proven yet".

Well here is a recent report showing that Roundup cannot be considered
totally safe.

http://www.newfarm.org/news/0803/082903/gm_fungus.shtml

Old 28-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Robert

:
: Well here is a recent report showing that Roundup cannot be considered
: totally safe.
:
: http://www.newfarm.org/news/0803/082903/gm_fungus.shtml

Best thing is to try and avoid chemicals then I think. I never used
weedkillers and have, years ago, stopped all other sprays and the balance of
nature seems to look after the pests to a certain extent

Old 28-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Philip" contains these words:

Well here is a recent report showing that Roundup cannot be considered
totally safe.

What GM food crops are you treating with Roundup, then?

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 28-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Rod

"Philip" wrote in message ...
In a previous thread (Docks around and young apple tree) it was stated that
Roundup was safe to use for a number of reasons. But basically the feeling
was "its been around for a long time and nothing has been proven yet".

Given the huge quantities used worldwide in agriculture, forestry and horticulture over many years and with so many
folks out there gunning for Monsanto, don't you think any credible evidence of serious problems would have surfaced
by now?
I'm much more concerned about folks using this and other products without bothering to read the label - or if they
do they go ahead and ignore the instructions or think they know better.

Rod
Rod

Old 28-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Philip" wrote in message
In a previous thread (Docks around and young apple tree) it was stated

that
Roundup was safe to use for a number of reasons. But basically the

feeling
was "its been around for a long time and nothing has been proven yet".

Well here is a recent report showing that Roundup cannot be considered
totally safe.

http://www.newfarm.org/news/0803/082903/gm_fungus.shtml

If that is the totality of the negative results which have been published in
the couple of decades of intensive anti-glyphosate research, then my belief
in the efficacy and safety of glyphosate has now been strengthened
immeasurably.
Thank you for this URL.

Franz

Old 28-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Tumbleweed

"Philip" wrote in message
In a previous thread (Docks around and young apple tree) it was stated

that
Roundup was safe to use for a number of reasons. But basically the

feeling
was "its been around for a long time and nothing has been proven yet".

Well here is a recent report showing that Roundup cannot be considered
totally safe.

http://www.newfarm.org/news/0803/082903/gm_fungus.shtml

NOne of which applies to spraying near the roots of a tree, rather than the
entire actual crop (which is what this is about, thats the way these
particular GMO's are engineered, that you spray them with roundup and they
live but nothing else does). FWIW i've also read that tests of organic
products bought in shops show more toxic fungi on them than non-organic. But
strangely, that wouldnt have the greenpeace weenies out rushing to ban
organic crops.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 29-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Philip

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message ...
"Philip" wrote in message
[...]

Its interesting to see the feeling that this topic arouses. I have to
admit that I own a pot of weedkiller based on Glyphosate, and futher
admit to having used it this year.

In my original post, I wanted to call into question the bland
statement that these substances were safe because no-one had stated
otherwise. This is not the case.

Here is an extract from a paper concerning water table polution. EPA
in this case are the US Environmental Protection Agency.

**Quote**

What are the Health Effects?
Short-term: EPA has found glyphosate to potentially cause the
following health effects when people are exposed to it at levels above
the MCL for relatively short periods of time: congestion of the lungs;
increased breathing rate.

Long-term: Glyphosate has the potential to cause the following effects
from a lifetime exposure at levels above the MCL: kidney damage,
reproductive effects.

**End Quote**

Now I am sure that none of you people intend to bath daily in a
mixture containing 50% Glyphosate, but the assertion that it is safe
is clearly not proven.

I recognise I am ploughing a lonely furrow here, but someone has to
counter the statements put forward by the companies with a vested
interest in making money out of these products.
Old 30-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Philip
writes
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
k...
"Philip" wrote in message
[...]

It is relatively safe. Nothing in the world is completely safe. Even
digging weeds out you could cut yourself and then die of blood
poisoning, tetanus or anthrax.

Here is an extract from a paper concerning water table polution. EPA
in this case are the US Environmental Protection Agency.

**Quote**

What are the Health Effects?
Short-term: EPA has found glyphosate to potentially cause the
following health effects when people are exposed to it at levels above
the MCL for relatively short periods of time: congestion of the lungs;
increased breathing rate.

Long-term: Glyphosate has the potential to cause the following effects
from a lifetime exposure at levels above the MCL: kidney damage,
reproductive effects.

**End Quote**

Now I am sure that none of you people intend to bath daily in a
mixture containing 50% Glyphosate, but the assertion that it is safe
is clearly not proven.

The dose makes the poison. Nothing is truly "safe". You can easily kill
yourself by drinking enough vodka, beer or even tapwater for that
matter.

I recognise I am ploughing a lonely furrow here, but someone has to
counter the statements put forward by the companies with a vested
interest in making money out of these products.

Glyphosate is roughly in the same toxicity category as caffeine in
coffee. The wetting agents used in commercial formulations of the
weedkiller are far more noxious than the active ingredient. Most damage
to humans has been due to ludicrous mishandling of the weedkiller
concentrate by idiots, and attempted suicides by folk who chose the
wrong weedkiller entirely.

I am no fan of Monsanto, but glyphosate is as close to an
enviro-friendly weedkiller as we are ever likely to get. It is extremely
specific to green plants that are conducting photosynthesis. Use some
own brand glyphosate containing weedkiller and not Roundup though unless
you really want to actively support Monsanto and its GM hegemony.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 30-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Tumbleweed

m...

"Philip" wrote in message
[...]

Those findings could apply to just about any chemical you name, including
most of the ones found in plants (of which there are thousands). Plants are
full of natural 'organic' pesticides and hormone mimics which evolved to
kill and damage grazers, from insects to mammals. The same comments about
safety would apply to these chemicals, only more so, since they are much
more carcinogenic than many man made pesticides, as an example lettuce and
coffee being particularily bad, far far worse than glyphosphate.
Unsurprising since the man made ones were tested and the really dangerous
ones removed during that process, whilst the organic ones evolved without
concern for that, indeed the very opposite applied.
Tests of the chemicals in plants show that 50% would be banned were they to
follow the same standards as for their artificial equivalents. Lettuce would
certainly be removed from sale immediately.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Old 30-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[snip]

It is relatively safe. Nothing in the world is completely safe. Even
digging weeds out you could cut yourself and then die of blood
poisoning, tetanus or anthrax.

I know of a man who died from playing chess. He leaned over backwards after
a move, the chair toppled and he broke his neck.

[snip]

Franz

Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[snip]

It is relatively safe. Nothing in the world is completely safe. Even
digging weeds out you could cut yourself and then die of blood
poisoning, tetanus or anthrax.

I know of a man who died from playing chess. He leaned over backwards after
a move, the chair toppled and he broke his neck.

Worse still, I used to know someone who just went to bed, and died in
the night.

I don't know if it was the bed or the darkness, but............

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 30-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Tumbleweed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

[snip]

It is relatively safe. Nothing in the world is completely safe. Even
digging weeds out you could cut yourself and then die of blood
poisoning, tetanus or anthrax.

I know of a man who died from playing chess. He leaned over backwards

after
a move, the chair toppled and he broke his neck.

Did he have to forfeit the game?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)