Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2003, 11:43 AM
hedgehog

Default The Summer of doom

Thanks for the support - I was just having a bit of a bad garden day.
Despite the weevils and flatworms there seems no obvious damage (yet).
Thanks also for the tip about the eggs - I chucked the remains in the bin
today. It was obviously a very stupid flatworm because I only noticed it
when moving an outside plastic doormat on the patio. It had trapped itself
in one of the small holes. I have very dry soil so maybe it was alone.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "hedgehog" contains these words:

and NOW what I'm 90% sure is the second New
Zealand flatworm of the year. I snipped it in half yesterday and it

still
curls up in a most revolting manner - yuk.

You need to do more than that, to destroy their quite-large eggs
inside. I grind them underfoot on concrete until it's just a smear :-(.
Next, you need to hunt down its friends and family, under pots, plastic
sacks, stacked turves etc..anywhere cool and dark on the soil surface.

I discovered NZF here last spring and during The Purge killed dozens
more. I haven't seen any at all for several months and the earthworm
population is booming.

Don't worry about a few setbacks, all gardening is full of them, and
has taught me to be the patient calm and equable person I am

(ducks and runs)

Janet