Old 16-10-2003, 11:32 PM
LizR

Default OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:48:40 +0200, martin wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:46:19 GMT, LizR wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think you should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

not if you wear pink lycra.

They have special hells for those who wear pink lycra. Full of weight machines and
bikes with no wheels. They should get a garden instead!!

Liz

Old 17-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from LizR contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier
on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing
round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think you
should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

Liz :-)

Not really, I used to race and the real trick is to use the gear which
you turn to a constant level. Your legs then are used to the revolution
and you suffer less fatigue. However, I do agree with the mountain
bikers who round here seem to want to ride on the smallest gear they
can. Legs going like a tazmanian devil.

I now have a mountain bike (in Lincs? what the hell was I eating that
day) with 27 gears (3 front and 9 back) I do tend to ride a large gear
but thats my preference. I still dont match the crumblys tho.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 17-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

The message
from Jaques d'Altrades contains these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

Probably would but could someone explain in Lincs terms what
"post nasel
drip" is? Are we talking about dewdrops?

Pass. But I had a vision of a skeletal crumbly in a long brown macintosh
(endemic to Lincs, and unknown elsewhere) and sporting a glittering drip
under his nose, pedalling a vast old bike slower than walking pace.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

On that description, it is the locally known "dewdrop". And yes we have
plenty of old crumbly`s in the dirty man mac.

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes.

Have you ever seen gravity defying Dutch cyclists?

There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

We have a fine example on our Allotment site called unsurprisingly "Harry".

"Old" Harry?
--
Martin

Apart from a certain Prince then ar`nt they always?

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 17-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:46:19 GMT, LizR wrote:

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton

It`s a mystery to me how they manage to keep upright on the bikes. There
is also another type that manage to pedal really slowly but go like the
clappers. Make Lance Armstrong look slow!!!!!!

Oh, that's the lost art of cycling in the right gear! How much easier
on the eye it
is than those mountain bikers with their little-fat-legs flailing
round and round and
the bike scarcely moving up a slight incline. I don't really think
you should have
more gears than IQ points, do you?

not if you wear pink lycra.
--
Martin

Theres a very valid reason for the pink lycra but it escapes me at the moment.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

Old 17-10-2003, 10:32 AM
martin

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:22:09 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

[...]

It's a warning for the normal to keep out of the way.

Overheard conversation...

"Why do you wear pink lycra to cycle to work on your light weight
bike?"
"to keep fit"
"Wouldn't you keep fitter wearing normal clothes and cycling to work
on a normal bike?"

Behind cyclist's back "Any normal person turning up for work dressed
in pink lycra would be sectioned"
--
Martin
Old 17-10-2003, 08:22 PM

wrote:

[...]

Is that a euphemism for hung, drawn and quartered?

Geoff
Old 18-10-2003, 12:03 AM
LizR

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:21:32 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

[...]

That makes sense:-) The finer points of cycling were never as important to me as
speed and accuracy and expenditure of as little effort to that end as I could. Lazy
b*gger, me:-)

However, I do agree with the mountain
bikers who round here seem to want to ride on the smallest gear they
can. Legs going like a tazmanian devil.

I now have a mountain bike (in Lincs? what the hell was I eating that
day) with 27 gears (3 front and 9 back)

LOL!

I do tend to ride a large gear but thats my preference. I still dont match the crumblys tho.

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but, though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Liz

Old 18-10-2003, 09:22 AM
martin

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:47:20 GMT, LizR wrote:

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but, though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Photo please :-)
--
Martin
Old 19-10-2003, 01:43 AM
LizR

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:59:12 +0200, martin wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:47:20 GMT, LizR wrote:

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but, though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Photo please :-)

No. Not a pretty sight!

Liz

Old 19-10-2003, 10:22 AM
martin

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:38:33 GMT, LizR wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:59:12 +0200, martin wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:47:20 GMT, LizR wrote:

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but, though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Photo please :-)

No. Not a pretty sight!

Spoil sport!
--
Martin
Old 20-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from LizR contains these words:

LOL!

I do tend to ride a large gear but thats my preference. I still dont
match the crumblys tho.

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I
just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but,
though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Liz

So many poorly set up bikes. You see kids having their knees hit their
chests and barely getting any extension to the knees when pedaling.
SWMBO`s bike was really badly set up in that manner and see was
complaining about it hurting her knees. However, when you looked at her
riding position she was getting nowhere near a straight leg at the
bottom of the leg extension. So up the saddle went (you`d be surprised
how little you need to do this) and bingo, happy to go riding on it
again.

If you feel "cramped" on a bike then up the saddle a little.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 20-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Ron Clark

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:17:57 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

If you feel "cramped" on a bike then up the saddle a little.

Don't overdo it. At work years ago a friend rode his bike to work
every day. Every day we sneaked out and raised his saddle by about
1mm, It was quite some time before he came limping in one day
swearing that his legs were getting shorter, Oh how we larfed,

Same chap came in some time later and said his wheel was rubbing
against the forks. I went out and kicked the bugger straight and
forever after he had me down as a mechanical genius.

--
®óñ© © ²°°³
Old 20-10-2003, 11:03 PM
LizR

wrote:

The message
from LizR contains these words:

LOL!

I do tend to ride a large gear but thats my preference. I still dont
match the crumblys tho.

I have a real dog of a cheapo mountain bike, theresult of which is I
just don't ride.
I'd love to ride the kid's bike (with suspension at the back) but,
though it looks
big enough, when I get on I've got my knees round my ears.

Liz

So many poorly set up bikes.

The bike is fine. After all those years living in the Netherlands, I can tell the
difference between a bike shop and toys r us! :-)

You see kids having their knees hit their
chests and barely getting any extension to the knees when pedaling.

That doesn't happen to the kid (our kid, that is) but I'm a good foot taller than him
so it happens to me on his bike.

SWMBO`s bike

Is SWMBO a name? I guess not:-)

was really badly set up in that manner and see was
complaining about it hurting her knees. However, when you looked at her
riding position she was getting nowhere near a straight leg at the
bottom of the leg extension. So up the saddle went (you`d be surprised
how little you need to do this) and bingo, happy to go riding on it
again.

If you feel "cramped" on a bike then up the saddle a little.

I would if it was my bike! But I'd only have to put it down again for the child to
ride.

Ta for the advice, anyway:-)

Liz
Old 21-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from LizR contains these words:

SWMBO`s bike

Is SWMBO a name? I guess not:-)

She Who Must Be Obeyed - © Rumpole IIRC

HTH

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

What sort of gravel to use for landscaping my mother's yard? seanspotatobiz United Kingdom 3 25-03-2011 11:25 PM
To start, sort through your children's closest to find any clothesthat they are no longer wearing. You can use these clothes to sell to theresale shop for extra money, or allow your children to swap the clothes fortheir own selections on their own. B [email protected] Lawns 0 22-04-2008 06:52 PM
Lobelia Polar Gardening 0 30-04-2003 09:20 PM
lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
lobelia cardinalis rotting roots..help! Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 09:21 AM