Old 30-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Glass mulch

In article , keith
writes
is this a record for the longest thread! can I ask what is OP,URG without
getting slaughtered by Franz .

OP = original poster
URG = uk.rec.gardening
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 30-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:10:42 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:16:39 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

So Franz should just agree and say how nice etc.?

No. He has no need to say anything. He wasn't being asked his opinion.
But if he does want to give his opinion he can say it's not to his
taste, or what he feels about it, without condemning the taste of the
OP.

Real life isn't like that.

Is it not? No-one has ever told me to my face that I have bad taste. Or
that I have no fashion sense, or that I need a new hairstyle, or a
myriad other things that I am sure are probably true. I think it's known
as good manners.

Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.

When you'd asked what they thought, maybe .. but if you were to ask me,
for example, where you could buy insert some garden ornament in poor
taste, do you really want to hear my opinions of your abilities in
garden design, good taste, or whatever?

And while you may be confident enough to stand by your own opinions in
the face of criticism, not everyone is. It is difficult in usenet to
know how people feel, especially on a first posting, and they may be
deeply upset by what you regard as honest opinion. In RL, you have some
chance to judge this, and you get instant feedback on the effect of your
remarks, and can do something to mitigate the damage.
--

This miserable part of the thread has now hurt so many people, and has
awakeded the baser instincts of at least one of the urglers to such an

Please, may we now draw a line under it?

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"keith" wrote in message
is this a record for the longest thread! can I ask what is OP,URG without
getting slaughtered by Franz .

Franz does not slaughter at random.
OP is an abbreviation for the Original Poster, i,e, the one who started a
thread.
URG is an abbreviation for uk.rec.gardening, the newsgroup which you are now
reading. An urgler is one who participates in this ng.

[snip]

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"keith" wrote in message
Thanx, Franz.
What is [snip]

"[snip]" Is the symbol used to indicate where the current writer has deleted
a part of the old text which is considered to be irrelevant to what the
writer is saying. It enables a subsequent reader to look back to an earlier
version of the thread in order to refresh his/her memory of what has gone
before, just in case it actually was relevant after all.

[snip]

Franz

Old 30-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "K" contains these words:

That reminds me, what has become of a certain gentleman from the armed
forces who used to advertise regularly on this group?
It's all gone very quiet in that quarter - unless he's been reincarnated?

Last August, his isp was about to terminate his account due to
complaints from usenet.

Janet.
Old 31-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Bob Hobden

"kelsa" wrote in message ...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.
Many thanks!
--

Well I though I might just answer the question. :-)

Try...

www.pavingexpert.com/aggs01.html#glass

Are you sure on this though, there is a garden near here on a "T" junction I
get stopped at that has used it in their front garden, very nice garden BUT
in my opinion (and others) it would look much better with normal gravel or
one of the crushed coloured rock gravels. It makes it look just a touch too
OTT and detracts from the nice planting.
Each to his own though, as I often say when I watch that Deirmot chap. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 31-10-2003, 10:44 AM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
: The message
: from "K" contains these words:
:
: That reminds me, what has become of a certain gentleman from the armed
: forces who used to advertise regularly on this group?
: It's all gone very quiet in that quarter - unless he's been
reincarnated?
:
: Last August, his isp was about to terminate his account due to
: complaints from usenet.
:
: Janet.

Yes, that's what I remember, but I thought he would have appeared under
another persona with another ISP, or isn't it as easy as that?

Old 31-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Sacha
writes
in article , JennyC at
wrote on 28/10/03 4:15 pm:

"kelsa" wrote in message
s.com...
Have just been to Chaumony in France where one of the show gardens had
coloured glass mulches - very striking. Can anyone please tell me where
in UK I can get these mulches? I'm in Derbyshire, so if not near here,
I need someone who does mail order.

If you are going to do it you probably want glass that has been tumbled
to remove all sharp edges. Glass mulches on soil are very unpleasant to
handle. They might look striking in show gardens when new and fresh.

I acquired a spontaneous large glass mulch where my 20x10 greenhouse
used to stand and am still picking bits out of the veg patch years
later.

Windmill Aggregates for providing us with the blue glass mulch used in the
noughts and crosses board: 01279 876987

http://www.gardenzone.co.uk/magazine/magazine_out.html

Personally, it would remind me of municipal cemeteries where all-too-many
graves are covered in glass.
One source of clear glass could be the people who replace windscreens. I'd
hate to do the weeding in that garden, though - ouch!

Toughened glass is probably slightly better than smashed windows and old
jam jars. But I'd caution anyone thinking of adding glass to their
garden to consider the welfare of future gardeners. It will mix into the
soil.

Several local garden centres round here (North Yorks) have clear, blue,
green broken glass for sale among the natural gravels and pebbles. I
wouldn't touch them with a barge pole YMMV.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM
JennyC

"martin" wrote
Kay Easton wrote:
martin writes
Kay Easton wrote:

3) you may be wrong ;-)

It's still interesting to hear Franz's opinion.

I place the OP's feelings as having higher importance than your
interest.

So Franz should just agree and say how nice etc.?
Real life isn't like that.
Just as I would not approve of an uncalled for insult to you, no matter
how interestingly it was phrased.

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.
Martin

You've been in Holland too long Martin :~)
You'll be asking URGlers the size of their salary before long :~)
Jenny

Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM
JennyC

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
In article , Kay Easton
writes
1) if the OP feels taste is important, they may be unaware they have bad
taste, and it is something that is difficult for them to change. Telling
them bluntly that their taste is bad serves no useful purpose for them
and may distress them.

2) if they don't feel taste is important, then your comment is at best
irrelevant and at worst impertinent

3) you may be wrong ;-)

Kay what is happening to urg these days, I rarely post now and also I
hardly ever read the postings as I would have to scroll down too much.
Has urg changed or is it me getting older and less tolerant?
Judith Lea

Don't worry Judith, it's probably a temporary lapse - normal service will be
resumed soon :~)
Jenny

Old 02-11-2003, 02:22 PM
martin

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:14:58 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

I'd rather that somebody said what he honestly thought.
Martin

You've been in Holland too long Martin :~)

probably true.

You'll be asking URGlers the size of their salary before long :~)

I wouldn't dare.
BTW how much .... ? :-)

I must learn to be tactful :-)
--
Martin
Old 02-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:14:58 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

You'll be asking URGlers the size of their salary before long :~)

I wouldn't dare.
BTW how much .... ? :-)

Mine is a matter of public record.

Regards,