Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Pepino Dulce

A while ago I posted about a blue-flowered 'melon tree' which I'd seen
advertised - later discovered to be 'pepino dulce', an edible solanum.

Well, I ordered one. Unfortunately the suppliers did not answer the
questions I sent with my order about what variety it was, or where I could
find out more.

I was expecting something tomato-esque, but this is more of a classic
solanum, with dark, faintly shiny leaves with paler ribs. It's been very
happy in a warm outside spot, brightly lit but out of direct sunlight this
summer, and I've now brought it inside.

It's now about 10 inches tall, and needs re-potting. When previously
discussed, we thought it might grow to 5 feet, but I am hoping to keep it
to 3 so I can wheel it about more easily.

As it was quite happy outside till very recently, I suspect it is less
tender than I had feared, and hope to get it to fruit next year: it can
apparently be grown as an annual.

I've found a chapter of a book on this plant which is available online:
http://books.nap.edu/books/030904264...5.html#pagetop .

This site is rather hard to print, so I stripped the text and graphics and
made a Word doc for my own reference: if you would like a copy, email me.

Victoria Clare

Aji dulce 2 chillis John Dickson Australia 4 16-11-2007 02:27 AM
Pepino dulce Sacha United Kingdom 6 18-03-2007 10:23 AM
growing aji dulce nina Edible Gardening 0 18-04-2005 05:12 AM
growing aji dulce nina Gardening 0 18-04-2005 05:10 AM
Pepino Melons MrsFrog Edible Gardening 0 09-01-2004 10:22 PM