Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Sanitising greenhouse soil.

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

I don't really want to cart all the soil out of the main bed and replace it
though.

Can anyone recommend a fungicidal drench or something that might stop the
problem recurring?

Victoria
Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Victoria Clare wrote in
. 205:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

sorry, meant this as a separate thread. Apologies...
Old 30-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Chris Stewart

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.205...
Victoria Clare wrote in
. 205:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

sorry, meant this as a separate thread. Apologies...

hi Victoria - are you sure the spores stay in the soil?? Will it not improve
with good cleaning up and plenty water next year when things are growing
again??

Chris S

Old 30-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Victoria Clare

"Chris Stewart" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.205...

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

hi Victoria - are you sure the spores stay in the soil?? Will it not
improve with good cleaning up and plenty water next year when things
are growing again??

I don't know - will it? I've never had a greenhouse before! (only many
pots...)

I'd assumed the problem would recur, as it's in a confined space. I am not
sure how it got started this year, as I thought I was watering pretty
carefully.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 30-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim W

Victoria Clare wrote:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

I don't really want to cart all the soil out of the main bed and replace it
though.

Can anyone recommend a fungicidal drench or something that might stop the
problem recurring?

Victoria

Jeyes or if you don't like that then Citrox. You might also want to
consider a good general clean of surfaces with water/detergent as a
primary clean.

Both the above are available from good suppliers. Citrox is supplied by
Agralan.

//
Jim

Old 30-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message 5
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

I don't really want to cart all the soil out of the main bed and replace it
though.

Can anyone recommend a fungicidal drench or something that might stop the
problem recurring?

Empty the GH, scrub it out, leave the door and vents wide open to let
frost in.

Janet.

Old 31-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message 5
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

Empty the GH, scrub it out, leave the door and vents wide open to
let
frost in.

I have a number of things I overwinter in there, so I don't really want to
leave it standing open. Is there another way?

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Jim W

Victoria Clare wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message 5
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

I had a bad mildew problem in my greenhouse this year :-(

Empty the GH, scrub it out, leave the door and vents wide open to
let
frost in.

I have a number of things I overwinter in there, so I don't really want to
leave it standing open. Is there another way?

Victoria

Frost 'isn't' necessary, IMO. a good clean out on a dry and preferably
windy day is and DO let things dry out afterwards..

If you leave it over night (and plants out) and it looks a bit chilly
then fleece is always an option against very light frosts. You don;t
give a locaion so its hard to say if this would work.

Citrox is also suitable for use on plants (not seedlings IIRC) so you
can have no worries about accidentally spilling it whereas Jeyes will
kill plants. (Not sure of dilution of Jeyes.. Long time since I used
any!-) Prolly about 5 - 10% or something. Certainly not more.

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

http://www.agrobiologicals.com/products/P1576.htm

//
Jim
Old 31-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ow39.570hvv1e52og6N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

Not to be used by the organic gardeners?

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 12:02 PM
martin

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:31:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ow39.570hvv1e52og6N%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...

[snip]

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

Not to be used by the organic gardeners?

What is organic?

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/s...isorganic.html
--
Martin
Old 31-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ow39.570hvv1e52og6N%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...

[snip]

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

Not to be used by the organic gardeners?

What is organic?

I have not seen a rigorous definition yet. However, I understand, possibly
wrongly, that an organic chemical is a chemical which is produced
"artificially", whatever that may mean. If it means that an organic
chemical is one which is produced by a plant or an animal, then Sodium
Bicarbonate has to be excluded from the "organic" category.

Old 31-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ow39.570hvv1e52og6N%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...

[snip]

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

Not to be used by the organic gardeners?

What is organic?

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/s...isorganic.html

That URL says that the word "organic" is a legally protected word, but I
have not found a definition of that word in that URL.

Franz

Old 31-10-2003, 05:02 PM
martin

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:30:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g3ow39.570hvv1e52og6N%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...

[snip]

There's some evidence that Sodium bicarb inhibhits mildew groth on
plants so might be useful for cleaning as well.

Not to be used by the organic gardeners?

What is organic?

http://www.soilassociation.org/web/s...isorganic.html

That URL says that the word "organic" is a legally protected word, but I
have not found a definition of that word in that URL.

Nor me. Why did they ask the question if they had no intention of
answering it?
It reminds me of catechism.

Try finding out what organic standards are on the same site. It goes
around in a loop without ever answering. Perhaps it's just a poor
website.

How do you describe what my wife does, which is to grow vegetables
without using any form of pesticide?

Allowed Pesticides...
http://www.soilassociation.org/web/s...256db10038e3df!OpenDocument

--