Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 PM
martin

Default Remind me why I wanted rain?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:50:45 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

It only needs a disaffected spammer to report that mail is being deleted
by a named ISP, and the police *MUST* investigate. How thoroughly they
do so is another matter. Remember, this is a criminal matter, not a
civil one.

Go away and read the law you quoted very carefully!

The offence you quoted applies to unauthorised interception of mail
and phone tapping.

And of course, e-mail is not covered by this?

let's try again
a) an anonymous sender sends spam to me
b) I AUTHORISE my ISP to tag it

of course it's not covered by it.

Then, if the police do investigate, and are of the opinion that there is
a pima facie case, they must pass the matter to the DPP.

You watch too much Inspector Morse :-)

I haven't got a haunted fishtank. I prefer RL.

almost back on topic there :-)
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:52:23 GMT, Ian Wolfe
wrote:

In message
martin wrote:

[snip]

Virus means dirt, filth.

Latin for poison actually

Actually its basic meaning was a slimy liquid, eg animal sperm.
By extension, a poisonous liquid, or poison.
Further, an offensive odour or stench.
And finally, a sharp saline taste.

I was quoting Oxford Dictionary of Current English.
I forgot most of the Latin I learnt 50 years ago.
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:52:01 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Virus means dirt, filth.

Latin for poison actually

And that. If you look in a good Latin dictionary you'll find most nouns
cover a very wide area. FYI it also means 'slime'.

Take it up with the compilers of OED.
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:45:00 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

4th declension noun would be virii. I can't remember what viri
translates as (and I've lost my huge Latin dictionary) but it isn't the
plural of virus.

I *COULD* bother one of Zetnet's directors and ask him for a(nother)
full explanation,

Of what virii translates as? {:-))

but he's rather busy ATM with a (presumably)
intermittent fault on one of the servers.

You don't get faults on *real* ISP servers :-)

.... and the idea of the director fixing one is laughable.
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:45:44 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:30:01 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these
words:

My mistake. I was thinking of both virii and spammed email.

pedant

Virus is a collective noun.

One solitary influenza virus may be inspected under the electron
microscope.microscope.
Granted, I don't know whether an influenza and a legionnaire'd disease

virus
lying side by side should be referred to as a pair of viruses or a pair

of
virii. (On the assumption that the legionnaire's disease thingy is

indeed a
virus at all)

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

Thanks for helping me to discover that an OED CD made for Win95 won't
run with WinXP :-(((

If you will let me have it at a sensible secondhand price, I will take it
off you. Payment will result ASAP *after* I have veruified that it will run
on my Windows 98. {:-))
(All on the assumption that it is an OED and not a Concise Oxford.)

Send me an address and it's yours free, but be quick as we leave for
UK and Yorkshire tomorrow evening.

--
Martin

Old 11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:40:28 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

And the whole exercise ends up by being a big footshooting. Soon after the
first case of this kind comes to court, there will be anti-spamming
legislation. Then the spammer has really become irrelevant.

Antispam legislation has already been enacted and comes into force this
year, on or about the 10th of December.

However - it might not be easy to enforce............

.... for messages originating from outside the EU.
Have you got a link to the relevant UK legislation?
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:48:48 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

I can tell just from the headers and senders.....

I think I told you that 4 weeks ago. I even provided you with
examples.
Incidentally to get spam that slipped through down to 2 or 3 messages
a week it took more than 300 filters with Lotus Notes and I had to
regularly add new filters.

Bloody hell! You think that was news?

It appeared to be to you, you denied it was possible.

I've been on the net just about as
long as e-spam has been around. I've had one in my mailbox this week. I
haven't counted the filters, but *@msn.* would kill around a quarter of
them.

--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

4th declension noun would be virii.

Can't remember what the 4th declension is. But isn't -us ending normally
1st declension?

I can't remember what viri
translates as

men?

(and I've lost my huge Latin dictionary) but it isn't the
plural of virus.

It wouldn't be unusual for the same latin word to mean several things -
remember the haunting refrain in Britten's Turn of the Screw? -

Malo - I would rather be
Malo - in an apple tree
Malo - than a naughty boy
Malo - in adversity

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I *COULD* bother one of Zetnet's directors and ask him for a(nother)
full explanation,

Of what virii translates as? {:-))

Yes. He sometimes chips in to a thread in a Zetgroup and gives someone a
lecture on the word.......

OED "virus pl viruses"
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-11-2003, 06:22 PM
JennyC

"martin" wrote
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

And the whole exercise ends up by being a big footshooting. Soon after the
first case of this kind comes to court, there will be anti-spamming
legislation. Then the spammer has really become irrelevant.

Antispam legislation has already been enacted and comes into force this
year, on or about the 10th of December.

However - it might not be easy to enforce............

... for messages originating from outside the EU.
Have you got a link to the relevant UK legislation?
--
Martin

My provider chello has made a start by banning ALL email from blueyonder !!!!!!
This is maybe a tad overenthusiastic. I'd also like to hear about pending
legislation.
Jenny

Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
martin

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:56:00 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I *COULD* bother one of Zetnet's directors and ask him for a(nother)
full explanation,

Of what virii translates as? {:-))

Yes. He sometimes chips in to a thread in a Zetgroup and gives someone a
lecture on the word.......

OED "virus pl viruses"

If I hadn't got Win XP I could check that :-((
--
Martin
Old 11-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Ian Wolfe

In message
Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

It wouldn't be virii anyway, would it? That'd be the plural of virius.

4th declension noun would be virii.

Can't remember what the 4th declension is. But isn't -us ending normally
1st declension?

I can't remember what viri
translates as

men?

(and I've lost my huge Latin dictionary) but it isn't the
plural of virus.

It wouldn't be unusual for the same latin word to mean several things

I've just read the above. If this helps...

vir (2nd Declension) = man (as opposed to woman). Plural = viri.

virus (2nd Declension, but Neuter gender) was probably never used in
the plural. Certainly was not virii.

I would strongly encourage the Anglicised plural ie viruses.

--
Ian Wolfe.
Linlithgow. Birthplace of Mary, Queen of Scots.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Can't remember what the 4th declension is. But isn't -us ending normally
1st declension?

Yes, and the fourth.

--
Rusty Hinge
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

OED "virus pl viruses"

Yes - anglicised, and in the context of virus the living organism and by
association, virus the destructive self-replicating computer program.

However, the OED is not an authority to consult on matters of Latin
grammar. (Nor, as certain Urglers have pointed out, on botanic
accuracy.)

Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Ian Wolfe contains these words:

I would strongly encourage the Anglicised plural ie viruses.

Seconded. As would our Latin scholar within Zetnet. Innit.