Old 26-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

Default Is it too late to plant bulbs?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
better year after year?

Yes it was on the TV last week/week before. Cannot remember what
programme though.

Looked hard work said she was growing them for cut flowers.
Sorry to be vague put it down to age. ((
Jennifer
Old 26-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Martin Sykes

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
better year after year?

Yes it was on the TV last week/week before. Cannot remember what
programme though.

Looked hard work said she was growing them for cut flowers.
Sorry to be vague put it down to age. ((
Jennifer

It was Sarah Raven on Gardener's World. It was something to do with
preventing them from forming bulblets at the base so they put all their
energy into the main flower.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 26-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
better year after year?

Yes, but having tried it, I don't believe it :-) Whatever I do, my
tulips never last more than a few years in wet acid soils. Might be
different in drier areas, or limey soils perhaps.

Janet.
Old 26-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Sacha

jane26/11/03 2:24

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:59:23 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~Tony Bull24/11/03 5:23
.
~com
~
~
ojunk (GoldDustRhiannon) wrote in message
~ ...
~ Both my garden centre and B&Q have replaced their bulb sections with Xmas
~ junk.
~ I guess this means I've left it too late to put in some bulbs for spring
~ flowers? Grrrr.
~
~ Lorraine
~
~ It's probably too late for daffodils but most others should be o.k.
~ But as one writer said you may not get many flowers in the first season.
~ Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
~
~We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW, has anyone
~else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them display
~better year after year?

You mean like Sarah Raven said on GW the other week?

I hadn't heard it until then.

No. I didn't hear it there. I think I read it in a book by someone making a
garden in France or Italy, perhaps?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 26-11-2003, 10:05 PM
David Hill

"............We're just getting round to putting in tulip bulbs now. BTW,
has anyone else heard/read/known that burying them about 8" deep makes them
display better year after year....."

So you saw that prog as well and wondered..
I was always under the impression that tulip bulbs needed to cook to ripen
them to get flowers the following year.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-11-2003, 06:43 AM
PK

Janet Baraclough wrote:
I think I've read since that Prince Charles
"naturalised" meadow tulips at Highgrove are replanted regularly.

Janet.

Every year according to the guide who took us round.

pk

Old 27-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Sacha

Janet Baraclough26/11/03 11:16

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
So do you lift them every year?

I have in the past before I tried the deep-planting wheeze; and I've
tried planting them in containers, and in raised beds in the veg garden
just for cutting for the house. Now I've just resigned myself to their
short lifespan with me. At least they are pretty cheap, and it's an
excuse to try somethng new each time. This autumn I've planted Estella
Rijnfeld.

At our last place I tried to have red tulips naturalised in grass
among the white narcissi in the wildflower meadow, but that was a total
failure because they were in the deer zone and got scoffed as soon as
they appeared. I think I've read since that Prince Charles "naturalised"
meadow tulips at Highgrove are replanted regularly.

Cheating! But I wonder if we *can* naturalise them in this country. There
are masses that flower every spring in Crete but while it's very wet there
in winter, they are also in sharply drained places, steep places.

Thanks, Janet. I'm intrigued by this because not only did I read this deep
planting thing in some book or other about living in France (I think) but I
have just remembered that I was told the same thing by an old gardener
several years ago. The ones that seem to have performed best for us over 3
years are Angelique but planted in pots. Given the amount of rain we get
here, I'll be interested to see how those planted in beds do. We order all
ours through Van Tubergen who have a wide range. I'm a push over for the
very exotic, parrot type but also love the rather cool looking lily
varieties. It's now pitch dark and I'm not going out to the Nursery to look
at the ones we've got but will have a look tomorrow and post the list. Then
next year, I'll have to report on whether or not they come up again! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk