Old 05-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Colin Malsingh

Default Greenfly....and a solution

I know this shouldn't be an issue at this time of year, but plants in
my conservatory are covered in greenfly:
- Some perennial chilli peppers
- A hibiscus
- Some aubergines from the greenhouse
that I'm trying to overwinter inside
- Some Culantro
(Caribbean version of coriander, but very different)

I had tried "gentle" sprays (since I want to eat some of the produce)
but they did no good and the plants were getting absolutely covered
with greenfly

Then I saw "Derris" at http://www.organiccatalog.co.uk. I have tried
one blast of this so far, and the bugs are dropping (like flies...).
However, even this product warns that it cant help if the aphids are a
resistant strain.

If you have a similar problem, you could do worse than try it.

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 05-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Robert

:
: I had tried "gentle" sprays (since I want to eat some of the produce)
: but they did no good and the plants were getting absolutely covered
: with greenfly
:
: Then I saw "Derris" at http://www.organiccatalog.co.uk. I have tried
: one blast of this so far, and the bugs are dropping (like flies...).
: However, even this product warns that it cant help if the aphids are a
: resistant strain.
:
: If you have a similar problem, you could do worse than try it.
:
: Colin
: -----
: (Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

I know Derris is suggested for organic growers but it is more deadly than some of the chemicals you can use and is not selective, i.e. it kills all insects, friends and foes. I wouldn't use it
Old 05-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Jason Pope

Colin Malsingh wrote:
[...]

I always use a weak solution of washing up liquid, seems to do the trick!
Maybe the aphids on my plants are weaklings!

Jason

--
Check out my ebay auctions for Passifora caerulea and edulis seeds and
Morning Glory (Star of Yelta) seeds.

Old 05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
David Hill

This looks to me to be blatant advertising so I am not quoting any of it.
A can of household Fly Spray with Pymetheron is very good for spot treating the odd plant.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:17:56 +0000, Colin Malsingh
wrote:

I know this shouldn't be an issue at this time of year, but plants in
my conservatory are covered in greenfly:
- Some perennial chilli peppers
- A hibiscus
- Some aubergines from the greenhouse
that I'm trying to overwinter inside
- Some Culantro
(Caribbean version of coriander, but very different)

I had tried "gentle" sprays (since I want to eat some of the produce)
but they did no good and the plants were getting absolutely covered
with greenfly

Then I saw "Derris" at http://www.organiccatalog.co.uk. I have tried
one blast of this so far, and the bugs are dropping (like flies...).
However, even this product warns that it cant help if the aphids are a
resistant strain.

If you have a similar problem, you could do worse than try it.

Doesn't sound like you have that many plants on the go at the moment -
wouldn't it have been just as effective to get busy with your finger
and thumb?

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 06-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
This looks to me to be*blatant advertising

Since it's the only posting he has made - I agree!!!!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:12 AM
JennyC

My three pronged attack on greenfly :
1) Rub them into another dimension with finger and thumb
2a) Big tough shrubby plants can be hosed down with a strong jet of water
2b) Smaller plants can be tipped upside down and held under the tap to wash the
beasties of (put the pot in a tightly sealed plastic bag to keep the soil in
place)
3) Spray with a solution of water / washingup liquid / methelated spirits

Jenny

Old 06-12-2003, 02:43 PM
JennyC

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(JennyC) wrote:

3) Spray with a solution of water / washingup liquid / methelated
spirits

Organically produced of course? :-)
Steve Harris

Greenfly usually are :~)
Jenny

Old 06-12-2003, 02:44 PM
martin

(JennyC) wrote:

3) Spray with a solution of water / washingup liquid / methelated
spirits

Organically produced of course? :-)
Steve Harris

Greenfly usually are :~)

A truly green solution :-)
--
Martin
Old 06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Colin Malsingh

Thanks for the warning about Derris. Since I have tried several times
and failed with Pyrethium-based sprays, I guess I should have taken
note when my aphid infestation was wiped out with a single spray of
Derris.

I am not specifically looking for an organic treatment (though the
warnings of other posters are noted) mainly something that worked. In
the past, putting several basil plants around affected plants did the
trick, but even these got infested this time.

David Hill writes
This looks to me to be*blatant advertising

Jane Ransom writes
Since it's the only posting he has made - I agree!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guy's, but it isn't advertising. I garden on a personal basis
and have no connection with the product, or the supplier. I was just
pleased to find something that works. If you already have a solution,
that's great.

Have I posted before? Yes, plenty of times earlier in the year, though
this group seems pretty quiet at the moment.

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 06-12-2003, 04:42 PM
David Hill

If I am wrong I apologise, but how often have we seen this sort of posting
"I have this problem and have finally found the perfect solution from
www.xxxacmeinc.com who have this fab. product "
Then there is no valid personal address to reply to, or sometimes they don't
think and their reply address is the same as the company they recommend.

Old 06-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:33:06 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

If I am wrong I apologise, but how often have we seen this sort of posting
"I have this problem and have finally found the perfect solution from
www.xxxacmeinc.com who have this fab. product "
Then there is no valid personal address to reply to, or sometimes they don't
think and their reply address is the same as the company they recommend.

Best bet is to do a search on Google groups using the author's name or
'email' address.

In Colin's case about 45 posts come up - which is rather more than
"the only posting he has made".

Someone owes someone a pint!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk