Old 10-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Clarissa

Default Newbie question

Can someone advise please?

This year I grew veg for the first time. On the whole it's been very
successful, but I'm puzzled by my cauliflower and my broccoli.

To be honest, I can't recall when I planted them, but they were grown from
healthy seedlings purchased from the local garden centre. Must have been 6
months ago.

Anyway, the cauli and broccoli have all grown into sturdy plants but there's
no sign of anything that I'd recognise as a cauliflower or a head of
broccoli. Have I missed the boat? We're now coming up to mid-winter, and
despite the cold and the frost, the plants are still proudly green and
determined, and have been for weeks (if not months). But that's it. Nothing
more has happened.

Do I still have a chance of seeing a cauli or some broccoli popping up?

Thanks!

Clarissa

Old 11-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Clarissa" contains these words:

Anyway, the cauli and broccoli have all grown into sturdy plants but there's
no sign of anything that I'd recognise as a cauliflower or a head of
broccoli. Have I missed the boat? We're now coming up to mid-winter, and
despite the cold and the frost, the plants are still proudly green and
determined, and have been for weeks (if not months). But that's it. Nothing
more has happened.

Do I still have a chance of seeing a cauli or some broccoli popping up?

I don't expect you will see a cauli. Any setback to a cauli is likely to
result in a tiny flower. Transplanting a seedling amounts to a setback.

Cauliflower seeds should (ideally) be planted in the position they are
to be grown, though you can plant them in pots and (carefully) knock
them out of the pots and plant them, complete with undisturbed potting
compost.

Caulis like a very rich soil, and will tolerate, enjoy even, their feet
in fresh muck.

I can't comment on the broccoli - I've grown it, but I treated it as for
cauliflowers, and the rabbits had them before they were half grown.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 11-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Clarissa

Sigh.

How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just no
damn edible bit.

They were ravaged by cabbage whites in the summer. Perhaps that's what did
for them?

Old 11-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Clarissa
writes
Sigh.

How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just no
damn edible bit.

The green bits are edible! Leave them for the time being, and if come
spring they're not doing anything, use the green bits as cabbage.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:
| In article , Clarissa
| writes
| Sigh.
|
| How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just no
| damn edible bit.
|
| The green bits are edible! Leave them for the time being, and if come
| spring they're not doing anything, use the green bits as cabbage.

Also remember that traditional broccoli doesn't produce shoots until
spring, anyway. It is particularly valued because it produces at a
time there is precious little else in the garden - depending on area
and year, from January to May.

But don't despair about cauliflower, either. It won't head, but
there is no reason not to use any flower shoots as broccoli. And,
as Kay says, young leaves as kale/cabbage - they are more nutritious
than the heads, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:36 AM
Clarissa

But don't despair about cauliflower, either. It won't head, but
there is no reason not to use any flower shoots as broccoli. And,
as Kay says, young leaves as kale/cabbage - they are more nutritious
than the heads, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll hang on in there, and see what
happens.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Cerumen

"Clarissa" wrote in message
Can someone advise please?

This year I grew veg for the first time. On the whole it's been very
successful, but I'm puzzled by my cauliflower and my broccoli.

To be honest, I can't recall when I planted them, but they were grown

from
healthy seedlings purchased from the local garden centre. Must have been

6
months ago.

I doubt you will see anything much from the cauliflower but the broccoli
might sprout in spring, buying seedlings is not the best way to
grow either as for one thing they are stressed by being transplanted but
also because of the possibility of importing clubroot. Much better to grow
from seed.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 11-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Clarissa" contains these words:

Sigh.

How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just no
damn edible bit.

They were ravaged by cabbage whites in the summer. Perhaps that's what did
for them?

I tried Cauli`s this year with no joy at all. I`m not even going to
bother next year. Supposed to be one of the hardest things to grow
successfully.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Hobden

[...]

It depends on what variety they are.
My summer/autumn cauliflowers have only just finished producing heads (ate
the last yesterday), as due to the very long hot/dry summer they were at
least two months late starting cropping. My spring caulies, planted at about
the same time, are beginning to twist their top leaves, which is a good
sign, but haven't produced any heads yet and shouldn't until about
March/April. Yours could be the same.
So if they look healthy, keep them tidy but otherwise leave well alone, you
may yet get a good crop.The late autumn/spring Caulies are the best, no
pests around so you get perfect clean curds like a supermarket but without
the sprays.

As for the broccoli, we have had it do all sorts of things over the years
but it invariably produces something worthwhile, so as with the caulies,
leave them and see, you can always pull them up later.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
346 data units completed.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Hobden

"Christopher wrote in message Sigh.

How very disappointing. The plants are strong and leafy and green; just

no
damn edible bit.

They were ravaged by cabbage whites in the summer. Perhaps that's what

did
for them?

I tried Cauli`s this year with no joy at all. I`m not even going to
bother next year. Supposed to be one of the hardest things to grow
successfully.

Yes, I've heard that said but not found it myself. Swedes are very much
harder to grow here, some say impossible.
Try growing the early spring cropping ones like Walcheren Winter Armardo
April or similar and see what you get.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Bob Hobden

"Cerumen" wrote in message
This year I grew veg for the first time. On the whole it's been very
successful, but I'm puzzled by my cauliflower and my broccoli.

To be honest, I can't recall when I planted them, but they were grown

from
healthy seedlings purchased from the local garden centre. Must have been

6
months ago.

I doubt you will see anything much from the cauliflower but the broccoli
might sprout in spring, buying seedlings is not the best way to
grow either as for one thing they are stressed by being transplanted but
also because of the possibility of importing clubroot. Much better to grow
from seed.
--

I grow all our brassicas from seed but all in rootrainers for transplanting
as if I planted in situ or seed bed we wouldn't get anything after the Flea

Old 11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I tried Cauli`s this year with no joy at all. I`m not even going to
bother next year. Supposed to be one of the hardest things to grow
successfully.

Dead easy, I found them. I cleared a patch of grass, dug in several bags
of (fresh) stable manure, raked the top and planted the seeds.

Kept them well watered, and a lovely crop of caulis resulted.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Clarissa

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Bob, that's reassuring. I'll sit on them for a few months....

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 01:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 11:02 AM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 07:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM