Old 11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Sacha

Default Buddleia ID, please

A friend of ours has a Buddleia and has promised us cuttings of it but he
was given it and doesn't know (or perhaps, remember) its name. It and has
very large ovate leaves - much bigger than the 'usual' Buddleias. The
flowers are, apparently, a bluey-grey. It was given to him by a now dead
gardener called Esther Merton - trouble is Ray can't remember the name of
her garden!! Where is Tim Longville when I need him?! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Martin Sykes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
A friend of ours has a Buddleia and has promised us cuttings of it but he
was given it and doesn't know (or perhaps, remember) its name. It and has
very large ovate leaves - much bigger than the 'usual' Buddleias. The
flowers are, apparently, a bluey-grey. It was given to him by a now dead
gardener called Esther Merton - trouble is Ray can't remember the name of
her garden!! Where is Tim Longville when I need him?! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Alta Vista turned up one match in an article about hellibores

Amongst the more curious individuals which have turned up in recent years,
Strangman had a running form which originated in Ireland and came to her
from Esther Merton. This spreads rather than forms clumps and was always the
first to flower in her garden at The Old Rectory, Burghfield.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Sacha

Martin Sykes11/12/03 5:23
om

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks, Martin. That's the only reference I could find, too.
I like the sound of that Hellebore, too!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
A friend of ours has a Buddleia and has promised us cuttings of it but he
was given it and doesn't know (or perhaps, remember) its name. It and has
very large ovate leaves - much bigger than the 'usual' Buddleias. The
flowers are, apparently, a bluey-grey. It was given to him by a now dead
gardener called Esther Merton - trouble is Ray can't remember the name of
her garden!! Where is Tim Longville when I need him?! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the 'x' to email me)

When does it flower? and are the leaves green or grey blue, smooth or
crinkly? Habit upright or weeping? If you can manage a good description I
may have a contact who can help (it may even be one I have - but there are
dozens of species)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Sacha

Sacha11/12/03 5:37

Martin Sykes11/12/03 5:23
om

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Just a tiny bit more on this Buddleia - apparently it was brought back from
China!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 12-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Gea Jones

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Sacha11/12/03 5:37

Martin Sykes11/12/03 5:23

om

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All buddleia comes from China, I have been growing it for years[for
butterflies], it is very strong , and hardy,
and if I had a choice,
I would rather not have the one you describe, which I have a lot of , trees
of, but the very dark purple one which is a stunning colour,
I do like the white as well,
best I like the round orange one , but it doesn't like outdoors !
Gea

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 19-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Martin Sykes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
No answer from Gea? Can anyone put me in touch with her, please? Anyone
else familiar with this poster who has 'trees' of this Buddleia which she
hasn't identified? An emailed reply bounced back.......
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

try btopenworld in place of btinternet in Gea's email adress...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 19-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Martin Sykes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
No answer from Gea? Can anyone put me in touch with her, please? Anyone
else familiar with this poster who has 'trees' of this Buddleia which she
hasn't identified? An emailed reply bounced back.......
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

try btopenworld in place of btinternet in Gea's email adress...

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Buddleia Advice wanted please Ben United Kingdom 3 16-07-2003 02:24 AM
Buddleia Advice wanted please Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 08:17 PM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM