Old 20-12-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Pots up North - Pictures

After the humungous thread in response to the question about growing
veg in pots in the north some might be interested in seeing some
examples. I grow entirely in containers, and in East Yorkshire -
which has to count as the north!

Pots are cheap - bought multi-purpose compost is expensive, pretty
well everything I've tried has worked.

http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/sbswdr/about_me.htm

Wendy

Old 20-12-2003, 05:34 PM
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
news
After the humungous thread in response to the question about growing
veg in pots in the north some might be interested in seeing some
examples. I grow entirely in containers, and in East Yorkshire -
which has to count as the north!

That's impressive! It also looks to be exactly like a daughter's house/yard
when she lived in York - and grew everything in pots very successfully. The
figure in the chair even looks like her ... it's uncanny.

I'd forgotten about that, she now farms in Wales and has a huge vegetable
garden, which is what inspired me to grow in my little Leeds garden!

Thanks, Wendy.

Mary

Old 20-12-2003, 05:45 PM
martin

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:18:38 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
After the humungous thread in response to the question about growing
veg in pots in the north some might be interested in seeing some
examples. I grow entirely in containers, and in East Yorkshire -
which has to count as the north!

That's impressive! It also looks to be exactly like a daughter's house/yard
when she lived in York - and grew everything in pots very successfully. The
figure in the chair even looks like her ... it's uncanny.

Not at all the Hull that features in "Crap Towns" and that we drive
through with the car doors locked, when we use the Hull ferry :-)
--
Martin
Old 21-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Andy Hunt

Wowwwww!!!! Looks niiiice :-)

I'll have to get some photies of my humble end terrace "walled garden" in
the spring, once everything's going. But your lush backyard shows it can be
done even up here in the icy wastes!

Your house looks lovely. Plenty of roof space . . . every thought of getting
a solar thermal system, or solar p.v. roof tiles? I'm saving my beans (!)
for something similar at the moment. And a domestic wind turbine. Power
blackouts coming up . . .

Andrew

news

Old 29-12-2003, 12:42 PM

Doubt anything changing the roof would be allowed - this is a heavy
conservation area so it was a hassle to be allowed to do anything to
the house. They liked the coach house renovation though.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:37:22 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Wowwwww!!!! Looks niiiice :-)

I'll have to get some photies of my humble end terrace "walled garden" in
the spring, once everything's going. But your lush backyard shows it can be
done even up here in the icy wastes!

Your house looks lovely. Plenty of roof space . . . every thought of getting
a solar thermal system, or solar p.v. roof tiles? I'm saving my beans (!)
for something similar at the moment. And a domestic wind turbine. Power
blackouts coming up . . .

Andrew

news

Old 30-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Andy Hunt

Ah, yes, I can see why it is a conservation area!

It looks lovely - I bet it is a real sun-trap! Ever tried anything "exotic"
like coconuts or anything . . . ?!

Andrew

news

wrote:

Wowwwww!!!! Looks niiiice :-)

I'll have to get some photies of my humble end terrace "walled garden" in
the spring, once everything's going. But your lush backyard shows it can

be
done even up here in the icy wastes!

Your house looks lovely. Plenty of roof space . . . every thought of

getting
a solar thermal system, or solar p.v. roof tiles? I'm saving my beans (!)
for something similar at the moment. And a domestic wind turbine. Power
blackouts coming up . . .

Andrew

news

Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 PM

Nothing really exotic, it's sheltered from the wind but don't really
get the hours of sun for the real exotics. Pretty successful with
figs, which ripen to really sweet - that's the most off beat. I like
the tomatoes and chillis best I think.

Wendy

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:42:11 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Ah, yes, I can see why it is a conservation area!

It looks lovely - I bet it is a real sun-trap! Ever tried anything "exotic"
like coconuts or anything . . . ?!

Andrew

news

wrote:

Wowwwww!!!! Looks niiiice :-)

I'll have to get some photies of my humble end terrace "walled garden" in
the spring, once everything's going. But your lush backyard shows it can

be
done even up here in the icy wastes!

Your house looks lovely. Plenty of roof space . . . every thought of

getting
a solar thermal system, or solar p.v. roof tiles? I'm saving my beans (!)
for something similar at the moment. And a domestic wind turbine. Power
blackouts coming up . . .

Andrew

news After the humungous thread in response to the question about growing