Old 11-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Pots in the North

Greetings all!!!!

And what a nice bunch of people seem to be on this forum. Paradise regained!

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some veg
for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire), and
I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the North.
I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do some
root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
lean-to greenhouse. Another thing is, I have a lot of slugs and
(particularly) snails. I'm a vegetarian so I can't eat the snails!!! ;-)

Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Take care all,

Andrew

Old 11-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Sacha

Andy Hunt11/12/03 12:43

Greetings all!!!!

And what a nice bunch of people seem to be on this forum. Paradise regained!

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some veg
for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire), and
I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the North.
I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do some
root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
lean-to greenhouse. Another thing is, I have a lot of slugs and
(particularly) snails. I'm a vegetarian so I can't eat the snails!!! ;-)

With regard to tomatoes, you could probably try growing the variety
'Tumbler' in a pot or hanging basket. They are quite early here (Devon) and
might be later with you but they're very prolific and deliciously sweet and
juicy.
To counter the slugs, it's up to your whether you use a chemical remedy but
on food crops, you might prefer not to. You can try several other things,
stand the pots in rings of small, sharp gravel, sprinkle the slugs with salt
or chuck them in a bucket for heavily salted water. Sink e.g. yoghurt pots
into the ground, leaving them just a millimetre or so above the surface, so
that other good bugs don't fall in. Slugs love beer!
Encourage birds and frogs into your garden. (Start feeding birds now with a
good mixed bird seed offering plenty of variety) Smear a liberally coated,
wide ring of Vaseline round the pots - slugs can't get past it. (Remember
to renew the beer and the Vaseline after heavy rain!)

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 11-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Andy Hunt

Thank Sacha, I think I might give the Tumbler tomatoes a go - I'm lucky, my
back yard is a real sun-trap, and it has a high wall so it's very sheltered
from the wind. It's an end-terrace not far out of the centre of Bury though,
so I don't get that many birds round my way (mostly sparrows and pigeons,
although there are a few seagulls which hang about the scrap yards not far
from my house!). I get a few bats coming round though! There's a park not
far away.

I do actually have a garden as well, but it's full up with herbs, trees,
bulbs and bushes and the like. I've got bags of space for veg though, as
long as I get enough pots.

I'm tempted to use slug pellets on the pathways around the pots, so that the
slugs don't get through the first line of defences. It's either that or
machine-gun emplacements manned by an army of mercenary mice. It's a shame
they can't just kind of "get the message" . . . death seems a rather unjust
price to have to pay for the crime of trying to get a good meal, even for a
slug!

Thanks for the tips - food for thought!

Andrew

Old 11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Bob Hobden

"Andy wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some

veg
for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire), and
I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the

North.
I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do some
root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
lean-to greenhouse. Another thing is, I have a lot of slugs and
(particularly) snails. I'm a vegetarian so I can't eat the snails!!! ;-)

Thinking what I've seen growing in pots at the RHS Wisley "allotment" I
think I remember:- Runner Beans, tall Peas, Onions, Shallots, Carrots,
various Chillies/Peppers, Strawberries, Courgettes, Tomatoes.
Don't remember seeing any brassicas though, but don't see why not. Parsnips
should be good in tall pots 'cause that's the way the exhibitors do it.
Probably anything would do well if cared for enough especially in your
"walled garden" and despite you being a bit up N. :-)

To keep snails and slugs off your veg put a thick and wide layer of Vaseline
around/under the rim or each pot making sure it's continuous. They won't
climb over it.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
346 data units completed.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:42 AM
hort-4

slugs and snails

turtles/tortoises eat them
laying ducks eat scads of them.

copper is an expensive barrier.

the edge of a vertical (window)screening "wall" apparently deters the
slimers.

I've never sufficiently tried any of these methods except the ducks. also
in central calif, restricting water to edible zones is very effective snail
control. our climate resembles Greece's. dry summers.

Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Finance

I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2
Hope this helps
news

Old 12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Andy Hunt

Thinking what I've seen growing in pots at the RHS Wisley "allotment" I
think I remember:- Runner Beans, tall Peas, Onions, Shallots, Carrots,
various Chillies/Peppers, Strawberries, Courgettes, Tomatoes.
Don't remember seeing any brassicas though, but don't see why not.

Parsnips
should be good in tall pots 'cause that's the way the exhibitors do it.
Probably anything would do well if cared for enough especially in your
"walled garden" and despite you being a bit up N. :-)

Thanks - a great list. I'm not sure how chillis would do in the climate we
have here in the People's Republic of Bury, it's a bit "humid" much of the
time, although thanks to global warming (?) we had a great summer this year.
Someone said to me that kiwi fruit are hardy enough to grow outdoors up
here, but I'm slightly sceptical I must admit. I always thought they needed
greenhouses, along with oranges and other citrus etc.

Will try the vaseline for slugs. Apparently it's also good for treating
those who smoke after sex. (sorry crude joke!)

Andrew

Save money and the planet - get a domestic wind turbine! www.windsave.com

Old 12-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Andy Hunt

Thanks - I might have a look for that one.

Top gardening tips from NTL Cable news support eh?!?!? What a service!

Old 12-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "hort-4" contains these words:

slugs and snails

turtles/tortoises eat them (snip) our climate resembles Greece's.

That's irrelevant to UK gardening in general and the OP in particular.

Please read the weekly post called abc for newcomers to this newsgroup.

Janet.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:43:20 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could advise me. I'm planning on growing some veg
for the first time next year, but it's going to have to be in pots in my
back yard. I live in Bury in the Frozen Northern Wastes (Lancashire), and
I'm not really sure which veg would be best a) in pots and b) in the North.
I was thinking of growing some peas up a trellis, but I'd like to do some
root veg too. It's probably a bit cold for tomatoes etc unless I get a
lean-to greenhouse.

Radishes are shallow. Peas sound ideal. There are many short varieties
of carrots (I can never bring mine to maturity. I keep thinning and
eating tiny carrots 'til they're all gone.) Fresh greens are lovely to
have. Many loose-leaf lettuces can be harvested a few leaves at a
time. Some cabbag-y greens, too. 'Bush' type beans don't need to be
trellised and are rewarding.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Andy Hunt

Radishes are shallow. Peas sound ideal. There are many short varieties
of carrots (I can never bring mine to maturity. I keep thinning and
eating tiny carrots 'til they're all gone.) Fresh greens are lovely to
have. Many loose-leaf lettuces can be harvested a few leaves at a
time. Some cabbag-y greens, too. 'Bush' type beans don't need to be
trellised and are rewarding.

Ah! I didn't realise you could get "bush" type beans . . . they sound like
an excellent idea. Just so long as they don't go declaring war on everything
else in the garden . . . ;-) . . . sorry best to keep politics out of
gardening, isn't it. Some things are sacred, after all.

Lettuces did occur to me, but when I think about it I can hear an army of
slugs and snails licking their chops in my mind . . . cabbages yes, but I
have to go careful with them, I was traumatised with cabbages as a child. A
bit of nice crisp white cabbage fried up with garlic, chilli and potatoes
with a dash of salt certainly warms a winter's evening, though.

I even manage sprouts occasionally - cooked 'al dente' with butter and black
pepper. I think it's the sort of liquidised school-dinner sprouts that leave
the psychological scars.

Radishes are delicious. Thankyou - what a great suggestion. I'll certainly
give them a 'go'.

Andrew

'Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to
me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we
know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there
are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the
ones we don't know we don't know. And every year we discover a few more of
those unknown unknowns.' - US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/pressr...hor-Donal-1943

Old 12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Franz Heymann

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

Franz

Old 12-12-2003, 04:35 PM
martin

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:15:53 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Finance" wrote in message
I grow veg and herbs in pots in Scotland. I bought a book v.useful "The
edible container garden" ISBN 1 - 85675-089-2

What are edible containers?

ones made out of folded rice paper.
--
Martin