Old 21-12-2003, 11:43 PM
David Hill

Default Quotation marks

I'm supposed to believe that this sort of header is less confusing:-

~ ~
~ ~ Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard

that
~it
~ ~has
~ ~ effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New
~Year's
~ ~ Day?
~ ~
~ ~ There's a badly constructed subject if ever I saw one. I thought it
~ ~ was spam. :-)
~ ~
~ ~Hell's delight.
~ ~{:-((
~ ~
~ ~I have now corrected the second one as well.
~ ~

Sorry but for me it's just a mess and puts me right of going further.

I do wonder why some in this group are more concerned with top /bottom
posting, spelling , grammar and other things related to how a message is
posted than they seem to be about gardening and plants............

Strange, but if it keeps them happy........so be it

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-12-2003, 10:12 AM
martin

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:40:55 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks David.

Have a nice Christmas!
--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Spider

I couldn't agree more. By the time we read replies, we've all read the post
and quoting it only postpones the interesting responses. I more often give
up reading this gardening site due to post-quote bottom posting, than I ever
do due to lack of time. In a complex thread, repetition of some part of
the originating post may be necessary, but surely this can be incorporated
more usefully in the response.
Well done, David, for saying what I've all too often thought.
Spider

Old 22-12-2003, 02:03 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:43:06 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By the time we read replies, we've all read

wrong!

the post
and quoting it only postpones the interesting responses. I more often give
up reading this gardening site due to post-quote bottom posting, than I ever
do due to lack of time.

use the PAGE DOWN key to go directly to the bottom.

In a complex thread, repetition of some part of
the originating post may be necessary, but surely this can be incorporated
more usefully in the response.
Well done, David, for saying what I've all too often thought.
Spider

So why didn't you snip all the stuff off the bottom of the post?
--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By the time we read replies, we've all read

wrong!

the post
and quoting it only postpones the interesting responses. I more often give
up reading this gardening site due to post-quote bottom posting, than
I ever
do due to lack of time.

use the PAGE DOWN key to go directly to the bottom.

And if I can't immediately see the point of a top-posted reply I delete
it and go on to something more sensibly composed.

In a complex thread, repetition of some part of
the originating post may be necessary, but surely this can be incorporated
more usefully in the response.
Well done, David, for saying what I've all too often thought.
Spider

So why didn't you snip all the stuff off the bottom of the post?

Ah, this is the usual indolence of top-posters: out of sight, out of mind.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 22-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
wrote:

[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Or if that doesn't convince:

In article blah-blah you wrote :

Top poster.

Top who?

Top.

Who's there?

Knock knock!

--
Malcolm Ogilvie
Old 22-12-2003, 05:04 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:30:08 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

So why didn't you snip all the stuff off the bottom of the post?

Ah, this is the usual indolence of top-posters: out of sight, out of mind.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

--
Martin
Old 22-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Philip

Jaques

The merits of Top vs Bottom posting rather depends on how you read
your Usenet.

If you are following through a thread reading post after post (as I
frequently do) then top posting is ideal.

I find that I rarely forget what the theme of the thread is about, and
if I do I only need to nip back to the start of the branch to refresh
my memory.

Do you ever use Google to read the Usenet, maybe if you were to try
that then you may appreciate why people top post.

Phil
Old 22-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Alan Gould

In article , martin
writes

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

As does cream!
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-12-2003, 10:33 PM
martin

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:22:07 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:59:06 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

As does cream!

Well said Alan!

Pam in Bristol

but you bottom posted, Pam :-)
--
Martin
Old 23-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Mr E

wrote:

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines
that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

As does cream!

Well said Alan!

Pam in Bristol

but you bottom posted, Pam :-)

Picky picky picky.... ;-)

Old 23-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mr E" writes:
| martin wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:22:07 +0000, Pam Moore
| wrote:

In bizarre orders.

| On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:59:06 +0000, Alan Gould
| wrote:

Nick Maclaren.

| Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines

Interleaved posting.

| that
| scum prefers to float on the top. :-)
|
| As does cream!
|
| Well said Alan!

Let's start a new trend.

| Pam in Bristol

Regards,

Old 23-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

So why didn't you snip all the stuff off the bottom of the post?

Ah, this is the usual indolence of top-posters: out of sight, out of mind.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

Too easily countered with cream.

Old 23-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article , martin
writes

Somebody on another group recently made a comment along the lines that
scum prefers to float on the top. :-)

As does cream!

There you are! What did I say?