Old 28-12-2003, 05:42 PM
AndWhyNot

Default Artificial Light

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:34:50 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

There is absolutely no other word for it, the OP's friend has been conned.
How much did he pay for this privilege?

About £75.00 UK Pounds Sterling

Lastly, Switzerland is particularly well for known for being infested with
folk selling snake oil.

Franz

Thanks for your input Franz, and to all the other posters replies.

............. My original post was genuine, although a bit 'off
subject' in that I thought that light of a particular quality might
be good for plants as well as the 'human' application.

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

I will then just have to keep on cuddling and talking to my African
Violets, rather than expose them to some Swiss Non light, or having to
put sunglasses on them.

Now then, what about lasers ........................ !!!!

The Day Of The Triffids ? (Showing Age)

Old 28-12-2003, 05:43 PM
martin

wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

There is absolutely no other word for it, the OP's friend has been conned.
How much did he pay for this privilege?

About £75.00 UK Pounds Sterling

Calvin Klein lamps or what? :-)

Lastly, Switzerland is particularly well for known for being infested with
folk selling snake oil.

Thanks for your input Franz, and to all the other posters replies.

............. My original post was genuine, although a bit 'off
subject' in that I thought that light of a particular quality might
be good for plants as well as the 'human' application.

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

I am moderately disabled and steer clear of things like that. Being
disabled shouldn't increase one's gullibility :-)

I don't even trust doctors :-)

I will then just have to keep on cuddling and talking to my African
Violets, rather than expose them to some Swiss Non light, or having to
put sunglasses on them.

Now then, what about lasers ........................ !!!!

What about buying a grow lamp?

It works for the local drug growers.
--
Martin

Old 28-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message m
from AndWhyNot contains these words:

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

I can't fault Franz's assessment.

I will then just have to keep on cuddling and talking to my African
Violets, rather than expose them to some Swiss Non light, or having to
put sunglasses on them.

By putting sunglasses on them you risk undoing all the good the
polarised light won't be providing.

Now then, what about lasers ........................ !!!!

What colour laser were you thinking of, and in which plane would it be
polarised?

The Day Of The Triffids ? (Showing Age)

I like sherry triffid...

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 28-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message m
from AndWhyNot contains these words:

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

I can't fault Franz's assessment.

Thanks, Rusty.

I will then just have to keep on cuddling and talking to my African
Violets, rather than expose them to some Swiss Non light, or having to
put sunglasses on them.

By putting sunglasses on them you risk undoing all the good the
polarised light won't be providing.

Now then, what about lasers ........................ !!!!

The total light output from the sort of laser you will be able to lay your
hands on will be only in the region of milliwatts.
A 1 watt laser will set you back a few (tens of ?) thousands of pounds

What colour laser were you thinking of, and in which plane would it be
polarised?

The direction of polarisation of laser light drifts around aimlessly, unless
you do some clever things with it.

Old 28-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:34:50 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

ah but it's incoherent polarised light! :-)

http://www.disabilityworld.com/co/company.php?ID=303

"BIOPTON - Visible Incoherent Polarised light. The world's top selling
medical light therapy system

snip

There is absolutely no other word for it, the OP's friend has been

conned.
How much did he pay for this privilege?

Lastly, Switzerland is particularly well for known for being infested

with
folk selling snake oil.

Franz

In cells that are unhealthy, the polar heads in the cell membranes are
out of position

The polar heads of cells are a matter of charge polarisation, not optical
polarisation. The same word "polarisation" is unfortunately used to

denote
two physical phenomena which are unconnected, and the quacks have in

their
ignorance thought that they were related..

- bio-stimulation activates cell metabolism to correct
this with natural endogenic healing and a boost to the immune system.

These twomlast lines are pure gobbledegook,m in the same category as

Bernard
Shaw's famous "stimulate the phagocytes"

And how does the patient know when the polarisation of the light received
from the lamp is in the correct orientation to achieve the desired

effect?

We are all made up of 70 trillion tissue and blood cells, so you can
achieve benefits whereever the therapy can be applied. Biotron acts
through our very cell biology and this explains why it is such an
evidently versatile therapy."

More bullshit. And I use the word after careful premeditation.

Do a google search there's pages of similar stuff.

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html

Marvellous.
I wonder if they sell pendula and pyramids as well.

almost certainly :-)

Finally: The OP's friend might test to see if the light really is
significantly polarised. Look at the source through one lens of a pair

of
polarising sunglasses. rotate the lens and see if there is an

orientation
for which the emitted light is totally absorbed.

I thought you would enjoy that :-)

You didn't comment on the "incoherent" bit

That was a gross oversight on my part.
For other readers, coherent light is essentially light of a single
wavelength. The light under discussion was specified to have a wide
wavelength range, so to mention it as being incoherent is a redundant
statement, included simply because it sounded good.
The light from an ordinary light bulb is fully incoherent.

Franz

Old 28-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

"martin" wrote in message

There is absolutely no other word for it, the OP's friend has been

conned.
How much did he pay for this privilege?

About £75.00 UK Pounds Sterling

The bulb is less than £1.00
The structure might be around £4.00
The polaroid window might be around £10 at most.
So there's a neat £60 profit.

Calvin Klein lamps or what? :-)

Lastly, Switzerland is particularly well for known for being infested

with
folk selling snake oil.

Thanks for your input Franz, and to all the other posters replies.

............. My original post was genuine, although a bit 'off
subject' in that I thought that light of a particular quality might
be good for plants as well as the 'human' application.

Franz may well be correct ........... I would be the first to reject
such 'Biotron' claims .......... but my friend is moderately disabled
and would tend to accept such things as genuine ... despite my
personal 'reservations' and recommendations to the contarary. The
psychological effects on my friend of course may be very different
which is the main thing.

My analysis of the physics is correct. If the lamp is benefitting your
friend, it is entirely due to a psychological effect. Such effects can, of
course, produce real results. I would recommend that you say as little as
possible about this thread to your friend, lest he suddenly loses such
benefit as he might at present experience from using it.

I am moderately disabled and steer clear of things like that. Being
disabled shouldn't increase one's gullibility :-)

I don't even trust doctors :-)

I will then just have to keep on cuddling and talking to my African
Violets, rather than expose them to some Swiss Non light, or having to
put sunglasses on them.

Now then, what about lasers ........................ !!!!

What about buying a grow lamp?

It works for the local drug growers.

As an aside:
There is something wonky about this thread. A whole lot of contributions
have not shown up at all in my post, and I am only aware of them insofar as
they appear in the subsequent notes from readers.

Franz

Old 29-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

As an aside:
There is something wonky about this thread. A whole lot of contributions
have not shown up at all in my post, and I am only aware of them insofar as
they appear in the subsequent notes from readers.

I seem to be receiving them all. It's rather down to where BTopenworld
gets its newsfeed.

Old 29-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

As an aside:
There is something wonky about this thread. A whole lot of

contributions
have not shown up at all in my post, and I am only aware of them insofar

as
they appear in the subsequent notes from readers.

I seem to be receiving them all. It's rather down to where BTopenworld
gets its newsfeed.

Thanks, Rusty. I'll contact them when I notice it again.

Franz

Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Camulodonums finest

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:17:35 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

[...]

only thing is this 'bioptron' is being used in most hospitals in the
UK That's some 'con trick' don't you think?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Mike Lyle

Camulodonums finest wrote:
[...]
only thing is this 'bioptron' is being used in most hospitals in

the
UK That's some 'con trick' don't you think?

No idea. But, about that nick: why not go the whole porcus with
"Praeclarissimus [ or 'praeclarissima'] Camuloduni"?

--
Mike.