Old 30-12-2003, 09:42 PM
David Griffiths

Default Balcony plants query

I'm looking for a range of shrubs/ plants that will exist happily in pots to
dress balconies of flats and apartments. We must assume various aspects, out
of direct rainfall but open to the temperature and light changes of the UK
seasons.

Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.

Many thanks

Dave

Old 31-12-2003, 05:03 PM
JennyC

"David Griffiths" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a range of shrubs/ plants that will exist happily in pots to
dress balconies of flats and apartments. We must assume various aspects, out
of direct rainfall but open to the temperature and light changes of the UK
seasons.

Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.
Many thanks
Dave

I have a list of links on my site which may be of interest :
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...ex.welcome.htm

Jenny

Old 31-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Alan Gould

In article , David
Griffiths writes
I'm looking for a range of shrubs/ plants that will exist happily in pots to
dress balconies of flats and apartments. We must assume various aspects, out
of direct rainfall but open to the temperature and light changes of the UK
seasons.

Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.

We have just run the Thompson & Morgan (Young Plants) Ltd. Spring 2004
live plant video - sent by post to us with their Spring 2004 live plant
printed catalogue. We found it surprisingly pleasant and interesting to
watch - about 30/40 mins of colourful chat, advice and tempting offers.
They have made a big play on plants for containers, pots, tubs, patios,
balconies, but not forgetting beds and borders. Well worth a look at:

www.thompson-morgan.com

or from:
T&M Customer Handling Agent
P.O.Box 99
Sudbury
CO10 2YE
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 31-12-2003, 09:48 PM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
: In article , David
: Griffiths writes
:
: Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.
:
: We have just run the Thompson & Morgan (Young Plants) Ltd. Spring 2004
: live plant video - sent by post to us with their Spring 2004 live plant
: printed catalogue. We found it surprisingly pleasant and interesting to
: watch - about 30/40 mins of colourful chat, advice and tempting offers.
: They have made a big play on plants for containers, pots, tubs, patios,
: balconies, but not forgetting beds and borders. Well worth a look at:
:
: www.thompson-morgan.com
:
: or from:
: T&M Customer Handling Agent
: P.O.Box 99
: Sudbury
: CO10 2YE
: --
: Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Yes, I've also got mine but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I
imagine it's probably very similar to last year's.

Old 31-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Rod

David Griffiths wrote:

I'm looking for a range of shrubs/ plants that will exist happily in pots to
dress balconies of flats and apartments. We must assume various aspects, out
of direct rainfall but open to the temperature and light changes of the UK
seasons.

Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.

Many thanks

Dave

Think -hot-dry-windy + cold biting winds at times and choose accordingly. Some
of your places will suit coastal plants. A lot of little bulbs seem to do OK. I
did some of this at one time and I never could convince the owner and the folks
supposed to be looking after the plants to water heavily enough or often
enough.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 01-01-2004, 11:47 AM
JennyC

"Rod" wrote
David Griffiths wrote:

I'm looking for a range of shrubs/ plants that will exist happily in pots to
dress balconies of flats and apartments. We must assume various aspects, out
of direct rainfall but open to the temperature and light changes of the UK
seasons.
Any ideas welcome, with views of upkeep, special needs, etc.
Many thanks Dave

Think -hot-dry-windy + cold biting winds at times and choose accordingly. Some
of your places will suit coastal plants. A lot of little bulbs seem to do OK.

did some of this at one time and I never could convince the owner and the

folks
supposed to be looking after the plants to water heavily enough or often
enough.
Rod

Here's a few more links:

http://www.architecturalplants.com/site_map.html Has various lists of
architectural plants for 'difficult' places

http://www.scenicblue.co.uk/living/s...g_sample_1.pdf Truly
inspirational balcony in Leeds !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_ra.../factsheets/sm
all_plant_garden.shtml#links And another in Plymouth

jenny

Tomatoes... cherry tomato plants, in a pot, on my balcony... HELP PLEASE The Cat Whisperer Gardening 7 01-09-2006 03:09 PM
Balcony plants Margret United Kingdom 3 28-04-2005 04:57 PM
Plants for my balcony Debbie Phillips Australia 5 08-10-2003 05:02 PM
Plants for my balcony Debbie Phillips Gardening 1 06-10-2003 04:43 PM
Advice please for balcony plants. Jim United Kingdom 8 04-04-2003 09:44 AM