Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Rod

Default Classic Roses

Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new book but I
didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. It is now being sold by
http://www.psbooks.co.uk/ at £12.99 (cover price £25.00)

It's a must for anybody who wants more than the 'Rose Expert'.
Because it's Peter Beales writing, Old Roses and shrub roses get a fuller
treatment than modern varieties but they are in there in plenty for most
people. This is probably the most accessible of the 'big Rose Books': no formal
botanical language but he isn't talking down to the reader and the photos are
good enough to use in identification. About 48 pages on history and origins of
garden roses, a similar size section on their use in the garden, about 450
pages of Dictionary with brief descriptions of cultivars and species, their
habits, disease tolerance etc. Top that with brief but lucid accounts of
cultivation, propagation (including commercial nursery practice) and a good
bibilography.

What more can I say?

Mankind has been growing, breeding and writing about roses for at least 5000
years. Peter Beales has distilled all of that and his lifetime experience of
growing and studying roses into a beautiful and readable book that anybody can
buy for £12.99.

BTW I like it:-)

And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.

---
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
My email address needs weeding.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Robert

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

Robert South West England

Old 11-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:
: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

flaunt

Peter Beales is well within walking-distance for me....

/flaunt

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Sacha

Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

I hope you have some very tall trees and a lot of room for *that* one! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

I hope you have some very tall trees and a lot of room for *that* one! ;-)

Yes, it had horrible mention on GQT today - er - yesterday, innit.

Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

I hope you have some very tall trees and a lot of room for *that*
one! ;-)

Yes, it had horrible mention on GQT today - er - yesterday, innit.

Yes indeed it did, unaminous No-No. ((

Thought Bob Flowerdew's experience was a good warning!
Jennifer
Old 12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

I hope you have some very tall trees and a lot of room for *that* one!

;-)

I have often wanted to grow a Kiftsgate, but have never managed to allocate
space for it. However, Sacha's remark prompts me to mention that I have a
singularly ugly tree (crab apple? bla bla paucifolia?), about 15 ft high by
10 ft wide. Is that suitable as a frame for a Kiftsgate?

If not, is there another tough rambler which could inhabit it?

Franz

Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. ..
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

: Peter Beales - 'Classic Roses' ISBN 1 86046 303 7. OK, it's not a new
: book but I didn't buy it first time around and regretted it. : and
readable book that anybody can buy for £12.99.
:
: BTW I like it:-)
:
: And I don't have shares in Postscript or Peter Beales' nursery.
:

I've just ordered a rambler, Kiftsgate from them online

I hope you have some very tall trees and a lot of room for *that* one!

;-)

I have often wanted to grow a Kiftsgate, but have never managed to allocate
space for it. However, Sacha's remark prompts me to mention that I have a
singularly ugly tree (crab apple? bla bla paucifolia?), about 15 ft high by
10 ft wide. Is that suitable as a frame for a Kiftsgate?

It's a bit small!

If not, is there another tough rambler which could inhabit it?

There are plenty. Next door have a Rambling Rector which looks
spectacularly good on our side of the boundary :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-01-2004, 08:12 PM
martin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:19:59 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

[...]

Don't forget Rambling Sid Rumpold. :-)
--
Martin

Old 12-01-2004, 08:41 PM
martin

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:19:59 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
Robert11/1/04 6:36
$kv3

Old 13-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

(Kiftsgate)

Oh, it's a beautiful thing, really lovely. But it's vigorous beyond
imagining. In my last garden, the people next door had two. Both had gone
right to the top of mature walnut trees and had started to 'colonise' other
trees, including some in my garden, which was bordered at that point by a
10' granite wall. I had all the pleasure of it and none of the work. ;-)

Rosa triffida?
Old 13-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I have often wanted to grow a Kiftsgate, but have never managed to allocate
space for it. However, Sacha's remark prompts me to mention that I have a
singularly ugly tree (crab apple? bla bla paucifolia?), about 15 ft high by
10 ft wide. Is that suitable as a frame for a Kiftsgate?

I think you will need something like Sherwood Forest to accommodate it.

If not, is there another tough rambler which could inhabit it?

Rambling perpetuals, Hamburg, New Dawn, Phyllis Bide, Blaze.

I could find a list of other ramblers, but don't forget that a lot of
them are rather subject to mildew.