Old 10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Where do red spider mite come from?

The message
from " Emrys Davies" contains these words:

You started off the site by asking ' Where does the red spider mite
come from?' and nearly everyone who has contributed immediately took off
about glaucoma without apparently giving any thought to the fact that
you are a mature woman with access to all the medical science which is
at your disposal.

Site? What site?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Andy Hunt

Mine got in on a Dragon Tree which had been out in my back garden.

Andrew

"JennyC" wrote in message

" Emrys Davies" wrote .
'Pam',
I am really at a loss here and somewhat annoyed to say the least.

snip
Now, can anyone help to eradicate the red spider problem?
Regards, Emrys Davies.

I agree with you Emrys ! Going OT is OK so long as the thread splits and

the
original post does not become lost.

I too have wondered where pests suddenly appear from - lily beetles for
instance. They seem to home in from miles away!

Back to red spider mite. I don't have a clue where they come from but the
following sites may throw some light on the subject:

http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publication...s/hf401024.htm
http://www.defenders.co.uk/red_spider_mite.htm

It seems they may de distributed by wind or that the eggs are already in

the
soil of a plant brought into the G.H.

They seem to have originated in South America:
http://www.tropentag.de/abstract.php?code=Y3GpnVoI

HTH (but at least it back on topic!)
Jenny

Old 10-01-2004, 06:02 PM
David Hill

People seem to forget that if you use predators as a form of pest control
then you have to have a small amount of the pest permanently resident.
With the move away from chemicals and with more nurseries going over to
predators then the chances of having one or two pests on a bought in plant
are much greater.
Secondly think of the "Invasions" of spiders over the English Channel at
times.......the young spiders climb up plants/trees etc then let out thread
till it is caught by the wind which carries them off to a new area,
sometimes 40 or 50 miles away, No reason why Red spider cant do the same.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-01-2004, 06:04 PM
martin

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:03:27 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from " Emrys Davies" contains these words:

You started off the site by asking ' Where does the red spider mite

snippety dodah

Site? What site?

site... sight ... glaucoma red spiders...
--
Martin
Old 10-01-2004, 06:04 PM
martin

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:20:54 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

snip gripe water

Perhaps a stork brings the little baby red spider mites?

Only the ones found under gooseberry bushes )

Have you scientific evidence for your theory?
--
Martin

Old 10-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Andy Hunt

You started off the site by asking ' Where does the red spider mite

snippety dodah

Site? What site?

site... sight ... glaucoma red spiders...

Mite be. 'Tis a short slip 'twixt site and mite. But then, write is better
than mite any day . . . ;-)

Andrew

Old 10-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

People seem to forget that if you use predators as a form of pest control
then you have to have a small amount of the pest permanently resident.
With the move away from chemicals and with more nurseries going over to
predators then the chances of having one or two pests on a bought in plant
are much greater.
Secondly think of the "Invasions" of spiders over the English Channel at
times.......the young spiders climb up plants/trees etc then let out thread
till it is caught by the wind which carries them off to a new area,
sometimes 40 or 50 miles away, No reason why Red spider cant do the same.

There is - though it is an arachnid, it is not a spider, it's an acarid.

Old 11-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Andy Hunt

Secondly think of the "Invasions" of spiders over the English Channel at
times.......the young spiders climb up plants/trees etc then let out

thread
till it is caught by the wind which carries them off to a new area,
sometimes 40 or 50 miles away, No reason why Red spider cant do the

same.

There is - though it is an arachnid, it is not a spider, it's an acarid.

Emrys made the same mistake. It's a mite, not a spider - but a spider-mite.
Mind you, it does spin a very fine silky 'web', so the point about
paragliding might still be valid, I suppose.

Andrew

Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 PM
burned

I have found out where Red Spider mites come from. They come from HELL. This
is were they get out in Salford and most head for Plat fields allotments in
Manchester. There is probably an exit near you.

http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/page296.html

Old 11-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Andy Hunt

I disagree. Salford is bad but Hulme is worse. The spidermites move faster
'cos they're all digging speed.

Andrew

Old 12-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Spider

Hi Pam,
I don't know where they come from, but I know they don't like a moist
atmosphere. Try misting your plants with tepid water.
Spider
Pam Moore wrote in message
I have been caring for some seedlings of a plant I should not be
growing and it looks as though "someone up there" has decided I should
not grow them, even as a curiosity! (The substance is supposed to be
good for glaucoma which I have!!!)
They were looking OK before Christmas but when I came home after a
week away they looked a bit sad. I thought they were dry or cold or
both. Deterioration continued and then a maginfying glass showed me
it is red spider mite.
I have had this problem on other plants, but not for at least 3 years.
Where have they come from? None of the other plants nearby, in my
living room, are affected. They don't fly like carrot fly do they?

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:29:52 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

I don't know where they come from, but I know they don't like a moist
atmosphere. Try misting your plants with tepid water.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I have had to chuck out my c****bis plants. They just collapsed.
Maybe they didn't like the insecticide spray I used. I did also start
misting them, but they are now beyond revival! They were very badly
affected with the spider mite.
I have a few more seeds so will try again when the weather warms up.
Now I shall be reguarly inspecting my other houseplants with a
magnifier.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Andy Hunt

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
I have had to chuck out my c****bis plants. They just collapsed.
Maybe they didn't like the insecticide spray I used.

I sprayed my dragon tree that the spidermites originally came from with a
fly spray, and I nearly killed it. Besides, you shouldn't really use
insecticides on anything you are later going to burn and breathe in (or
ingest in some way)!

I did also start
misting them, but they are now beyond revival! They were very badly
affected with the spider mite.
I have a few more seeds so will try again when the weather warms up.

The predators I bought for mine seem to have done the trick. Shame about
your plants. They may be "weeds", but I find they are very sensitive to how
they are treated.

I would recommend the predators.

Andrew