Old 26-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default RFD: uk.rec.gardening.allotments

The message
from "Gary Poston" contains these words:

Franz,
Let me get one thing straight with you, I'm NOT a troll OR am I empire
building. Its not like I'm going to get paid for starting a new newsgroup.
What im trying to do is bring Allotment Holders together so we can discuss
Allotments.

I really don't see a problem with that Franz

No problem with getting allotmenteers together, but they seem to be
pretty thick on the ground in urg as it is, and I don't see any
segregation or victimisation - quite the reverse.

FWIW I agree with all Franz's views. Including the empire-building bit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 26-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from I KRUSTOV contains these words:
uk.net.news.config , Gary Poston ,

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:30:33 -0000

I'm NOT a troll

I am - do you require a tutorial to help you become one ? .

He's doing very nicely without any help - with tuition in the art of
terollerollery he'd lose a lot of his disruptive potential.

http://fluffy.port5.com

Hmmm. Must do better. Only three heads on one troll is *NOT* much of a
distinction.

Old 27-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Gary Poston

My impression is quite strongly that the proponent is simply trying to do

modicum of empire building.

Franz

Franz,
Let me get one thing straight with you, I'm NOT a troll OR am I empire
building. Its not like I'm going to get paid for starting a new newsgroup.
What im trying to do is bring Allotment Holders together so we can discuss
Allotments.

I really don't see a problem with that Franz

All the best

Gary Poston

Old 27-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Gary Poston

Old 27-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I really don't see a problem with that Franz

I do.
There will be an unnecessary duplication of posts, since most of the
contributors to the proposed group will double post to urg as well, for the
sake of getting a wider ranging conversation going.

And since urg is one of the targets for crossposting trolls, it is one
of the groups in which a crosspost filter has been added to my killfile.
And I don't expect I'm alone in this.

There are often interesting threads in urg on matters concerning allotments.
So much the worse for the wellbeing of urg if those contributors shift fto a
new group.

And so much the worse for the (proposed) new group if they don't.

There is absolutely no reason for a new group. Everything you wish to be
discussed there can be discussed (and some are,and have been) in urg.

I would say, have been, Franz. I've been collecting urg for about seven
years on and off, and I can't think of any garden-related subject that
hasn't been given a thorough going-over.

Old 27-02-2004, 09:05 AM

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:46:42 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

I would say, have been, Franz. I've been collecting urg for about seven
years on and off, and I can't think of any garden-related subject that
hasn't been given a thorough going-over.

nor many none garden related subjects too :-)
--
Martin

Old 27-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:12:14 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

There will be an unnecessary duplication of posts, since most of the
contributors to the proposed group will double post to urg as well, for the
sake of getting a wider ranging conversation going.

The mostly USAsian groups rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible are a
case in point. Many edible-related posts in the base group, and much
cross-posting to both. OTOH, the .orchid and .rose groups appear to be
quite useful for those specialized interests. .cacti and .bamboo
somewhat less lively. The question seems to me to be one of
specialization and activity. Allotment questions come up and spark
discussion in urg. Not so many that they overwhelm the group, nor so
off-topic that they don't receive interested and informative replies.
If there were 500 posts per day to urg, and 200 on allotment
questions, a sub-group would be a good idea. But there aren't.
Gardening, growing plants, is inclusive, not easily sub-divided. I
have landscape (well, front garden and tree) concerns, and veg and
herb experience. I have a few houseplants, and I used to have a
'community garden' plot, which was sort of a small-scale allotment. I
really don't want to sign up for, um, 5 different groups when a single
one will do.

BTW, one of the features of my 'community' plot was the vast
difference in styles, crops, and attention span. 'Getting along with
others' seems a key point. I sure learned a lot.