Old 30-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Brian Watson

Default RFD: uk.rec.gardening.allotments

"David Hill" wrote in message
Well this proposed group will either take off or end like
england.rec.gardening and free.uk.gardening,

The issue with them is one of which ISPs take the hierarchies or, more
significantly, don't.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 30-01-2004, 09:18 AM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:49:14 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "BigAl" contains these words:

Not that I have an interest in gardening (as anyone who looks at mine will
testify) and wouldn't therefore vote but I thought I'd check some figures
via Google.

uk.rec.gardening turned up an estimated 148,000 posts of which 4,940
(earliest of which appears to be from March 2002)had the word allotment in
them.

And this indicates?

That urg seems to cater adequately for allotments?

That there is sufficient allotment traffic to support a separate group?

That on average there were about 7 posts a day using the word
allotment.
Have I missed something or did all these posts happen a long time ago?
--
Martin
Old 30-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Franz Heymann

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Janet wrote in message
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the following

changes
in the uk.* Usenet hierarchy:

create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.gardening.allotments

Is there a need for one ???? The suggested topics are all discussed in
uk.rec.gardening anyway, (where Gary Poston has never taken part) and
are of equal interest to many gardeners who don't hold an allotment.

As you know, I am an allotment holder, also an allotment site
representative, and I just can't see the need for a separate Ng. Gardening
is gardening, whether it's in a back yard, a huge garden around a house or
on an allotment site. We all learn from each others different experiences.
Just look at some other gardening Ngs, dead in the water.
Suppose it all comes down to, are you a splitter of a lumper, just like

the
botanists. I'm a lumper because I think one learns more about more with
input from diverse sources.

Well put, Bob

Old 30-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
"BigAl" wrote in message
uk.rec.gardening turned up an estimated 148,000 posts of which 4,940
(earliest of which appears to be from March 2002)had the word allotment in
them.

So that's 3.33%.

err.. yes....
But how many of the posters about using old carpets as a muclh were
talking about allotments? (try that trick in a domestic garden and see
what happens!)

How many debates about raised beds were from people whose garden
happens to be remote from thier house?

I detect a class error in the methodology
Old 30-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Well this proposed group will either take off or end like
england.rec.gardening and free.uk.gardening,
Time will tell, but I an certain that it will take nothing away from
uk.rec.gardening

In the end, that's probably true. I just think it's elaboration
without purpose, and anything that confuses newbies (or me) is
detrimental. Oh, and it might be an opening for netnannies (MIss! he
used the A- word in the parent group! Miss!!)
Old 30-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Brian Watson

"jane" wrote in message

Straw Poll question for urglers: if urg.allotments was created, how
many of you would unsub from urg and _just_ take urg. allotments?

I wouldn't. I'd take both.

I'd take both, and expect the content to be different in most cases.

Old 30-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Graham Drabble

On 29 Jan 2004 Kay Easton wrote in
:

I will abstain unless someone can convince me that this concerns
me. If someone wants to create an unnecessary group which isn't
going to harm me, I don't think it's my business to try to stop
them.

Can I just say how refreshing it is to see that view. That's the way the
system was designed to work.

--
Graham Drabble
uk.net.beginners Information/discussion for newcomers to newsgroups