Old 31-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Franz Heymann

Default RFD: uk.rec.gardening.allotments

"Gary Poston" wrote in message
m...
Repeat Post--

You are beginning to be boring.

Franz

Old 31-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Gary Poston

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
So, so far I have seen nobody who says they will go for the new group to the
exclusion of URG. My question then is why bother with the new group, since
URG by itself copes perfectly well with allotment questions.

Franz

Yes, Perhaps, but you don't know who is lurking here.
I really don't see a problem letting us Allotment people get on with
trying to form our own "corner of the room" to talk about all things
Allotments.
As for getting boring, I see you have posted "4" times in the matter
of minutes.

Kind Regards
Gary
Torquay Devon
Old 31-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Franz Heymann

Old 31-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Gary Poston" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

So, so far I have seen nobody who says they will go for the new group to

the
exclusion of URG. My question then is why bother with the new group,

since
URG by itself copes perfectly well with allotment questions.

Yes,

Thanks for agreeing that urg copes perfectly well with allotment questions.

Perhaps, but you don't know who is lurking here.
I really don't see a problem letting us Allotment people get on with
trying to form our own "corner of the room" to talk about all things
Allotments.

Where are these "us allotment people" who wish for your own corner of the
room, except for you?

As for getting boring, I see you have posted "4" times in the matter
of minutes.

I did not copy the same statements "4 times in a matter of minutes". You
repeated yourself verbatim a number of times.

Did you ever post anything about allotments to urg, and if so, did you get
any responses which made you feel unwanted in urg?

Other folk have, and to the best of my knowledge, both they and the folk who
are not allotment gardeners enjoyed the ensuing threads.

Franz

Old 31-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Gary
Poston writes
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
So, so far I have seen nobody who says they will go for the new group to the
exclusion of URG. My question then is why bother with the new group, since
URG by itself copes perfectly well with allotment questions.

Yes, Perhaps, but you don't know who is lurking here.

Well no nor do you, I can't say these threads have been inundated with
allotmenteeer lurkers popping out of the wood work to support this
though. We can only really work on what we know , which is the people
who post. what evidence is there that allotmenteers are a greater
proportion than any other gardening 'element' -for want of a better
word - of those who lurk?

I really don't see a problem letting us Allotment people get on with
trying to form our own "corner of the room" to talk about all things
Allotments.

Well no in principle nothing. There is nothing to stop you going off and
creating another mailing list for example. The question is though, is
there any real demand for this, so far the evidence is that there isn't.

TBh I would have a little more sympathy with this request if you had
some history of posting to urg or at least had raised the issue for
discussion on urg first to 'sound out the waters'. Why do you feel that
urg is not a welcoming place for people to discuss allotments.?

As for getting boring, I see you have posted "4" times in the matter
of minutes.

Childish tit-tat makes no one look clever.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 31-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (Gary Poston) contains these words:

Repeat Post--

Hello Everyone,
I do hope that this message gets out to you all as my ISP seems to be
getting a few problems at the moment.

I've been lurking on urg for sometime and see a need for an Allotment group
forming.

Would you like to enlighten us as to why?

I can't yet see a valid explanation why the RFD uk.rec.gardens.allotments
can't be formed. (Unless for administration purposes)

Which is hardly surprising since by your own admission your ISP is
'getting a few problems', and you haven't entered into any discussion in
urg.

What do you expect?

uk.rec.gardens.allotments is an idea from my good self for Allotment holders
to share in the ideas and plans into what is expected to be planted at
different times of the year, (newbie's) also, allotments are not just a
general "back garden" affair as you all well know.

This is beginning to sound like a lecture from a minor shop steward.

If you had hung around and maybe posted something, you would have found
that allotments are very much on-topic in urg, and the subject often
comes up.

And no, I do not "very well know" that allotments are not a "back garden
affair" - one of my friends had an 'allotment' in my back garden for
years.

Basically it's a "Corner of the room" (as someone already pointed out) so we
can talk just about anything on "Allotments". For example, Local Meetings,
Annual General Meetings and Local Allotment Functions or just a get together
at the local public house. Yes, we will indeed may well talk about "Seeds"
Planting Methods" "Greenhouse's" but this will be our little corner of the
room to do so.

It isn't a 'corner of the room' as you put it, it is a different room
altogether. It is a schism.

What is so secret about your discussions that you can't share them with
people with gardens, window-boxes or potted plants I can't understand.
Do you take a dead black cat down the lottie when the full moon falls on
Friday 13th and all dance round it widdershins or something?

I don't see why you would persist to object to this new group forming. It's
not going to take away people from urg. After all it's a free country

I really don't mind if you do form this group. I just don't see the
necessity for it. It seems like kingdom-building to me.

I'm not sure if I could stop "cross posting" unless I do make amendments to
my charter. However I still won't be able to stop this if people persist in
doing so.

And the smell of kingdom-building is getting so strong it's overpowering.

Thank you to all those that would support such a group and hope that this
group can be formed in the not to distant future.

Having listened to and considered the arguments for and against, I shall
vote against it unless I can be convinced otherwise.

I'm sure we could come to some agreement on this and to iron out any
problems that it may or may not cause.

Such as? I suggest that if you want your own very own little
potting-shed, that you start a mailing list.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/