Old 06-02-2004, 10:35 AM
bigboard

Default Mail order vegetables

martin wrote:
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:21:44 +0000, bigboard
wrote:

martin wrote:

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:05:58 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

martin wrote:

I couldn't get the website to work properly, I tried several browsers
- IE, Mozilla and Opera

Fine in Firebird.

Never heard of it :-)

Off to google!

Mozilla Firebird. I can heartily recommend it.

What's the advantage over Mozilla? I downloaded Firebird and
afterwards wondered why I had troubled.

It's been separated from all the cruft of the newsreader, mail client,
web page designer, etc. It loads quicker and the rendering engine is
faster. I think it looks nicer than Mozilla too!

Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 AM
martin

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:33:21 +0000, bigboard
wrote:

Mozilla Firebird. I can heartily recommend it.

What's the advantage over Mozilla? I downloaded Firebird and
afterwards wondered why I had troubled.

It's been separated from all the cruft of the newsreader, mail client,
web page designer, etc. It loads quicker and the rendering engine is
faster. I think it looks nicer than Mozilla too!

:-) thanks
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 06-02-2004, 04:27 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Still only finding seeds - perhaps you could supply a URL for mail

order
cherry tomato plants?

Dobies:

http://www.dobies.co.uk/cffiles/resu...08&cat_ca_ref=
527

Took me about 5 minutes to find. note it's a framed site, so this breaks
the frames.

But a GBP7 ish for 5 plants (plus postage I guess) it's an expensive way
to get such easily grown plants.

Thanks - this is the kind of service I was looking for.

Unfortunately the site seems to be partially broken at the moment - can't
get the details of individual items.

I found out a way to make it work (as hinted at above "note it's a framed
site, so this breaks the frames.") - presumably the original URL from Google
was from an older version of the web site, and now only partially works?

I have been in touch with the web site support (my contact has a Suttons
email address, interestingly) and told them:

"
further to my last report, I was using a URL such as
http://www.dobies.co.uk/cffiles/sear...cat_ca_ref=527 which seems to
work and navigate around the site until you get to the details button.

If I go right back to the welcome page I get the URL
http://www.dobies.co.uk/frameset.html which does not seem to change as I
navigate the site, and works fine.

It looks as though I have picked up an aberrant form of the URL which works
most of the time - perhaps from before the web site was changed/upgraded?"

So the site is now working, but still.....if the URL is alway shown as
http://www.dobies.co.uk/frameset.html then how do you bookmark parts of the
site? Not user friendly IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM
[...]

No, I went via the Dobies homepage - it was speculative, but I new they
were one of the companies that supplies veg plants

I mentioned that it was a framed site because it would be missing the
all the other Dobies links and may not even (as transpired) have worked
properly if you tired to navigate around from it. You really need to go
bak to the home page and go from there. As you later discovered.

snip

So the site is now working, but still.....if the URL is alway shown as
http://www.dobies.co.uk/frameset.html then how do you bookmark parts of the
site?

That is one of the problems with a framed sites, because you can't just
bookmark page. I got the link by copying it from the button or whatever
on the page that would have sent you to the resulting page (to have
having to give navigation instructions). But this doesn't include the
main frameset and so we end up at the beginning of this little
saga...........

Not user friendly IMHO.

Quite.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
martin

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:08:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

So the site is now working, but still.....if the URL is alway shown as
http://www.dobies.co.uk/frameset.html then how do you bookmark parts of the
site?

That is one of the problems with a framed sites, because you can't just
bookmark page. I got the link by copying it from the button or whatever
on the page that would have sent you to the resulting page (to have
having to give navigation instructions). But this doesn't include the
main frameset and so we end up at the beginning of this little

Not user friendly IMHO.

Quite.

I never got anything to work with it, including Mozilla firebird.
Clicking on vegetable plants just causes the screen to refresh.
As far as I am concerned they may as well close the site down.

Do people with sites like this ever try to access them themselves?