Old 19-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Tom Bennett

Default clematis ahead of itself.

"Chris Boulby" wrote
snip
I'm nuts about clematis though, even though many of the large flowered
hybrids struggle to do well here. The species love my slightly acid,
well drained, sandy soil.

Yes, I fell in love with them many years ago and, at one time, I had
dozens packed into a very small north-eastern garden. That was several
moves ago and I'm now trying to re-establish them (and myself) in SW
Essex, which is a long way, in distance and soil type, from my original
garden.

The one thing that occurs to me is to mention that the montanas, and some
of the other "species clematis", root very well from hardwood cuttings.
It's a bit late bit for this year now, but I used to do quite a few
internodal cuttings, in early January, from my established plants.

The thickness and age of the wood doesn't matter. I'd just snip up a few
stems, strike them in a 50:50 grit/peat mix and leave them in a shady part
of the unheated greenhouse. They had rooted by April and could be potted
up in early May. I could have them in 2 litre pots by the autumn.

C. heracleifolia and its close relative C. x jouiniana 'Praecox' were
equally successful, but getting sufficient wood from the former was
sometimes difficult.

I did experiment with some of the large flowered clematis and C. 'Hagley
Hybrid' was one which I did root, but the strike rate was only 1-2%,
compared to 90%-odd for the "species" I've mentioned, above.

- Tom
Blackmore, SW Essex.

Old 19-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Tom Bennett

"Sacha" wrote Wondering if you and Chris have C.rehederiana - wonderful
clematis, IMO.

I did grow it once, Sacha, but that was quite a few years ago. I'm not
sure I had the best available clone, as there wasn't much scent. It was a
good do-er and flowered well, but I think it needs more space than I had,
then and now.

My favourites are still the viticellas, with C. viticella 'Minuet' and C.
'Mme Julia Correvon' vying for top place. C. campaniflora (a fairly close
relative) has a charm of its own and is rather unsung too.

I'm about to rebuild my collection and I'm fortunate that a local nursery
sells small plants at £2.99 ea. They stock some fairly choice varieties
too (it makes me wonder if they quite know what they are selling) and I
came across C. 'Etoile Rose', one of the texensis tribe, the other day.
Last year I got another one, 'Gravetye Beauty', which is doing very well.

Although the plants are little more than liners, they're only a year
behind the 2 litre specimens which, around here, can retail for £10 or
more.

- Tom.
Blackmore, SW Essex.

Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Sacha
writes
Tom Bennett19/2/04 2:16
$1dbvnq$1 @ID-154146.news.uni-berlin.
de

"Chris Boulby" wrote
snip
I'm nuts about clematis though, even though many of the large flowered
hybrids struggle to do well here. The species love my slightly acid,
well drained, sandy soil.

Yes, I fell in love with them many years ago and, at one time, I had
dozens packed into a very small north-eastern garden.

snip

Wondering if you and Chris have C.rehederiana - wonderful clematis, IMO.

Funny you should ask, Sacha, I got seed from the Clematis Society last
spring at an HPS meeting in Yorkshire and have just sown it. Fingers
crossed. Its one I've always wanted to grow, so now I'm waiting
patiently.

Another species I grow that does well for me again and again, in not
very auspicious surroundings - growing up a poor support next to the
concrete washing line post - is C. x eriostemon 'Hendersonii'. It gets
full blast of our horrid winds each year, but it is prolific and its
flowers never fail to impress. Photos of them against a blue sky look
great! Must try taking cuttings from that one this year.

And as Tom has said in his post, C. viticella varieties are cracking
plants too. I have C. v. alba luxurians growing up a gum tree with good
success. And C. v. 'Minuet' was a spectacular success last year. I
don't bother to trim either of these as I want them to climb tall.
There is hardly any dieback on them here either, so they are starting to
bulk up. If they take over the gum tree and trellis respectively I
shall be very pleased.
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias

Old 19-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Tom Bennett
writes

snip

My favourites are still the viticellas, with C. viticella 'Minuet' and C.
'Mme Julia Correvon' vying for top place. C. campaniflora (a fairly close
relative) has a charm of its own and is rather unsung too.

One of my all time favourites is vit. Betty Corning because it's so
sweetly fragrant - the only perfumed viticella there is (I think).

Lots of new viticella types/late flowering hybrids coming from Estonia
and similarly cold places too. All wilt resistant (I hesitate to say
'proof') and prolific in flower.

I'm about to rebuild my collection and I'm fortunate that a local nursery
sells small plants at £2.99 ea. They stock some fairly choice varieties
too (it makes me wonder if they quite know what they are selling) and I
came across C. 'Etoile Rose', one of the texensis tribe, the other day.
Last year I got another one, 'Gravetye Beauty', which is doing very well.

I see to my dismay that Etoile Rose has now been reclassified out of
texensis and into viticella. So has 'Pagoda'. Campaniflora is now
listed in Victoria Matthews' 'Clematis Register and Checklist' as
viticella subsp. campaniflora, and what I used to call campaniflora
'Lisboa' is now viticella 'Lisboa'. And there's lots more.

I'm re-doing the web-site and getting in a terrible muddle ...

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

Old 19-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Tom Bennett

"Rachel Sullivan" wrote
snip
I see to my dismay that Etoile Rose has now been reclassified out of
texensis and into viticella. So has 'Pagoda'. Campaniflora is now
listed in Victoria Matthews' 'Clematis Register and Checklist' as
viticella subsp. campaniflora, and what I used to call campaniflora
'Lisboa' is now viticella 'Lisboa'. And there's lots more.

Hmmm......... I'd go along with 'Pagoda' being reclassified into the
viticellas but I think 'Etoile Rose' is very much borderline and I can't
imagine how C. campaniflora could be a subsp. of viticella. Still, what's
in a name?

- Tom.