Old 14-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Mick

Default News group problem HELP!

I always subscribe to Uk gardening but from the 26th of jan until 10th of
feb i could not get any downloaded
messages , I tried all the usual thing like settings etc but all was well ,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

Mike
--
..

Old 14-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Bob Hobden

,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but

if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

May I suggest you use another Newsgroup server like the famous free German
one a lot of us use.
http://news.individual.net/ will get you to their site where you register
and then they will send you the details you need to set it all up. Good
instructions on their site for setting up most mail readers to use their
service.
Excellent Ng service and they are also good at cutting out spam etc

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 14-02-2004, 05:39 PM
don v

"Mick" wrote in message
I always subscribe to Uk gardening but from the 26th of jan until 10th of
feb i could not get any downloaded
messages , I tried all the usual thing like settings etc but all was well

,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but

if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

Mike
--
.

Onetel have had ongoing problems with their newserver and I noticed the
absence of new messages for a long time.
Their server is remarkably poor and downloads even on broadband can be slow
and sporadic.
Customer service is fairly useless and half the staff do not understand
newsgroups.

I have just applied to
http://news.individual.net/index.html
although I do not yet know which newsgroups they carry.

Old 14-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mick writes
I always subscribe to Uk gardening but from the 26th of jan until 10th of
feb i could not get any downloaded
messages , I tried all the usual thing like settings etc but all was well ,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

If you can still get access to the net, you can get and post to groups
through Google.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 14-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mick" contains these words:

I always subscribe to Uk gardening but from the 26th of jan until 10th of
feb i could not get any downloaded
messages , I tried all the usual thing like settings etc but all was well ,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

Can you use a different news server? You won't be able to influence
Onetel's newsfeed by fiddling with your own settings.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 16-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Nick Wagg

Mick wrote:

I always subscribe to Uk gardening but from the 26th of jan until 10th of
feb i could not get any downloaded
messages , I tried all the usual thing like settings etc but all was well ,
my news server is onetel , it has happened in the past , a couple of years
ago with bt .
My usual route to solve problems with my pc is through news groups , but if
you can not post , you can not solve , so any help appreciated.

I had a similar problem and assumed that one of the spammers had posted
a file that my news browser can't read in revenge for some of the
comments we had recently been making about their unwelcome
contributions.

The problem went away when I unsubscribed from the newsgroup and then
resubscribed but only choosing to load the last few posts. The few
posts I missed I picked up from Google newsgroups.
--
Nick Wagg

Well there's good news and bad news.... Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 32 26-06-2004 11:48 AM
Good news/bad news Mike Patterson Ponds 2 19-05-2004 08:09 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM