Old 29-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Dr Jack Hammer

Default Slightly different approach to deterring foxes?

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:29:31 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades who could well be
Andy Mabbet, another ginger minge pervert if ever there was one.
wrote:

The message
from "Sharon" contains these words:

What problems are the foxes causing? Where should I start? We can't use
blood, fish and bone to plant perennials, trees, etc, because the foxes
smell it and dig the plants out of the ground to get at it. They dig holes
not just to bury food but seemingly for the pure joy of it.

Maybe after earthworms and grubs, or possibly voles.

There is fox
shit everywhere. The bark chip paths we laid around a new vegetable path
are dug up every night. They dig around the entire perimeter and at spots
where the membrane overlaps. Essentially, we "re-lay" most of these paths
every morning.

Earthworms again.

A temporary reed screen around new hedging has been pretty
well demolished because one entry point through it was not enough for them.
The climbers we want to grow on the wall beside the bedroom window are
continually pulled off their support because that is one of their favoured
spots for coming into the garden. They collect various items from
neighbouring gardens (mostly but not exclusively stuffed toys) and bring
them into our garden. And take stuff from our garden. For example, I left
my favourite leather gloves just inside our patio doors when I came in to
take a telephone call. A few minutes later, I saw the fox running across
the garden with my gloves in its mouth. It had actually come inside the
house to take them. My husband left a pair of gloves outside for a short
time; months later, we dug one of them up in a different part of the garden.
Any rubbish that is not in a covered bin is strewn across the front yard in
the morning. This is a particular problem for us because the top floor flat
is rented, and every time the tenants change it takes a while for them to
understand what will happen if they just leave a bag standing beside the
bins. We have permanent paths across our lawn; efforts to divert them to
other routes have been unsuccessful. I could go on.

Foxgloves - hmmmm.

Then there is the question of whether other wildlife is being deterred. I
can't prove the foxes are the reason for the decline in bird numbers. We
still get lots of tits, but ground-feeding birds are rarely seen in our
garden anymore.

Finally, they make a lot of noise at night. I work particularly odd and
long hours, and sleep is precious. I would have thought by now I would be
desensitised to their screaming, but I'm not.

Well, be consoled that when the vixen has mated, she will shut up.

But:

There will be lots of ickle foxes....

Despite what "Dr. Hammer" says about territories, the number of foxes is
increasing.

We shoot around thirty or forty of them on four farms each year.

Pro hunt arsehole. That explains an awful lot even though you are
bullshitting you yellow prick, no wonder you use a forged name.

Is that the royal we? Bwahahahahaha

'You can't win 'em all.'
Lord Haw Haw.

Since I stopped donating money to CONservation hooligan charities
Like the RSPB, Woodland Trust and all the other fat cat charities
I am in the top 0.217% richest people in the world.
There are 5,986,950,449 people poorer than me

If you're really interested I am the 13,049,551
richest person in the world.

And I'm keeping the bloody lot.

So sue me.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Newsgroup ettiquette

1) Tell everyone the Trolls don't bother you.
2) Say you've killfiled them, yet continue to respond.
3) Tell other people off who repsond despite doing so yourself.
4) Continually talk about Trolls while maintaining
they're having no effect.
5) Publicly post killfile rules so the Trolls know
how to avoid them.
6) Make lame legal threats and other barrel scraping
manoeuvres when your abuse reports are ignored.
7) Eat vast quantities of pies.
8) Forget to brush your teeth for several decades.
9) Help a demon.local poster with their email while
secretly reading it.
10) Pretend you're a hard ******* when in fact you're
as bent as a roundabout.
11) Become the laughing stock of Usenet like Mabbet
12) Die of old age
13) Keep paying Dr Chartham his fees and hope one day you
will have a penis the girls can see.

---------------------------------------

"If you would'nt talk to them in a bar, don't *uckin' vote for them"

"Australia was not *discovered* it was invaded"
The Big Yin.

Need a fake diploma for fun? contact my collegues Malcolm Ogilvie
or Michael Saunby who both bought one and got one free, only $15 each,
have as many as you like www.fakediplomas.com
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Sharon

Thanks for all the responses. I think on reflection I'll hold off on
suggesting this idea to my neighbour. I'm not clear as to whether it is the
dog chasing the fox out of the garden or simply the dog's scent in the
garden that is effective. I had hoped the latter. I've also realised from
reading some of the replies that I could well end up exchanging one set of
problems for another. For example, the yellow spots in the lawn from dog
pee. At least the fox just flattens the grass. (Although the ornamental
grass we had in a large pot was so well flattened it never stood up again
afterwards.)

The references to the peacock and the foxgloves were good. They helped to
counteract some of the less welcome contributions.

Annette asked if we had tried Renardine. That's what we're using at
present, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Possibly it
will last longer in drier weather conditions, but it seems a rather
expensive solution.

I have to admit that I'd consider the llama suggestion if I lived in the
country and had enough land.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
klara King

In message , Sharon
writes
I'm not clear as to whether it is the dog chasing the fox out of the
garden or simply the dog's scent in the garden that is effective. I
had hoped the latter.

Definitely not. We've had two dogs for years, and still have one, and
the foxes are always in the garden. Two of them mated on the back lawn
for an hour last week (even though they have 7 acres of orchard behind
us where they could have canoodled)!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sharon" contains these words:

Thanks for all the responses. I think on reflection I'll hold off on
suggesting this idea to my neighbour. I'm not clear as to whether it is the
dog chasing the fox out of the garden or simply the dog's scent in the
garden that is effective. I had hoped the latter.

Ask your neighbour for some of her dog's poohs, and place them round
the garden. Or, borrow the dog occasionally, and walk it round your
garden on the lead to spread its scent.

Janet.