Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 AM
David Hill

Default seeds

"............Can anyone advise me on when to plant seeds for growing
Tomato's etc, I have a greenhouse but it is not Heated !!!..."
It depends where you are in the world/UK very different Cornwall to N. of
Scotland.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Martin Sykes

"gedge" wrote in message
Hello Gardeners,
Can anyone advise me on when to plant seeds for growing Tomato's ect, I

have
a greenhouse but it is not Heated !!!

Thanks.

Plant some in pots now for planting out later. If they germinate too soon
and the frost gets them, sow some more. You'll have far more seeds in a
packet than you need anyway.
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 03-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:17:39 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"gedge" wrote

Can anyone advise me on when to plant seeds for growing Tomato's ect, I
have
a greenhouse but it is not Heated !!!

The problem with the instructions on packets is they tend to say either
"plant in month x", which may or may not be correct if the weather is
playing up and anyway depends on latitude etc, or things like "plant out
after last frost", Which would suggest that the last frost comes with a
label saying "last one, go for it" sadly life is not like that and when to
plant the seeds is always a bit of a lottery, which is why I always try to
allow for either eventuality. Take packet instructions as a rough guide
only, and keep an eye on the skies.

'Plant seeds' and 'plant out after last frost' are different animals,
of course. I've always read/heard that tomatoe (and pepper and other
seeds) require bottom heat of around 70-75F (21-24C) to germinate
successfully. I grew mine in a propagator arrangement inside an
unheated greenhouse while the weather outside was *definitely*
freezing. By the time they got a good start, it was warm enough to
transplant into small pots, but they stayed in the greenhouse 'til
about 8" tall. 6 to 8 weeks after sowing, depending on whether I paid
attention. I both froze (electrical fault) and broiled (covered,
heated propagator, inside greenhouse, on a warm, sunny day) several
sets of seedlings.

"Last frost date" is an average, not a guarantee (or a personal
observation :-). If you have sturdy plants ready 3 weeks after your
local 'last frost date', they're probably safe to put outdoors.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...y_1_tomato.asp

has good information.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Sarah

I can't believe that any of you wise wise people have not yet given any key
tips from your lengthy experiances.

In my v.short seed growing career i have found two things i would like to
have been told in the beginning.

a. use a seed compost or similar (light and nutrient free)

b. sow extremely thinly - its such a pain when they all come up and go leggy
in the fight for space and are impossible to separate

I have a seed germinating question: I have managed to get a few seedlings to
the 2nd and 3rd set of leaves stage. When can i put them out in my (unheated
greenhouse) so that they dont have to lean over to the window for light?
The seedlings i have are :- linum, eryngium, malva, verbascum, lemongrass
and nicotiana

sarah