Old 03-03-2004, 11:41 PM
shazzbat

Default seeds

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:56:52 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"gedge" wrote in message
Hello Gardeners,
Can anyone advise me on when to plant seeds for growing Tomato's ect, I

have
a greenhouse but it is not Heated !!!

I would start off a few in case they make it and the weather is kind and

you
get off to a good start, but I wouldn't plant many in case they don't.

Then
later you can add to them or replace them, according. A lot depends on

what
the weather is going to do, and neither you nor I methinks has a crystal
ball.

I am sure that the woman with the black cat and the broomstick has
one.

looks in crystal ball

She is going to recommend reading the instructions on the packet.
--

The problem with the instructions on packets is they tend to say either
"plant in month x", which may or may not be correct if the weather is

I've never won the lottery either. :-((

Steve

Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:32:32 -0000, "Sarah" wrote:

I can't believe that any of you wise wise people have not yet given any key
tips from your lengthy experiances.

I have a seed germinating question: I have managed to get a few seedlings to
the 2nd and 3rd set of leaves stage. When can i put them out in my (unheated
greenhouse) so that they dont have to lean over to the window for light?
The seedlings i have are :- linum, eryngium, malva, verbascum, lemongrass
and nicotiana

Since your post follows mine, I assume you read that I raised plants
in an unheated greenhouse with a propagator. The propagator provided
necessary heat; the greenhouse sunlight. I used these (US-bought)
trays:

http://tinyurl.com/2vthj

and a couple of very pricey heating mats:

http://tinyurl.com/2fxsl

I'm sure there are similar arrangements in the UK.

And as to your initial point, there is a continual stream of "key
tips" here in urg. You can use the archive like a library by using
Google groups, or by posting a specific question.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:31 AM
David Hill

".........b. sow extremely thinly - its such a pain when they all come up
and go leggy in the fight for space and are impossible to separate.......3

This can also be caused by lack of strong enough light, the heat too great
for the type of plant...

The best way to learn is by trial and error.
you learn more from making mistakes than you ever learn by doing things
correctly the first time.
Every person finds different problems with gardening and every garden has
it's own peculiarities, just as the weather is always changing and you have
to make your own decisions when to do things, sometimes you will get it
right and other times you will be wrong.
You ask when to move your plants out into a cold greenhouse........Who knows
Depends on the temp. you are growing them in now, the day temp, and the
amount of sunshine you are getting every day, the night temperatures etc
etc.
If you cover them at night with horticultural fleece or a few sheets of news
paper then you will keep them a little warmer on a cold night... but it is
like asking how many lengths can I cut from a ball of string
Good luck.
Have you thought of joining a local gardening club?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries