Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Jan

Default Painting Fence

Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
shazzbat

"Jan" wrote in message
Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres

of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

Thanks

Well, I don't know if there's a formula for this(there probably is), but
given that the can sizes are probably going to be 1ltr, 2.5ltr, or 5ltr, I
would go for the 2.5. You may have some left over to do them again later.

Steve

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Tumbleweed

"Jan" wrote in message
Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres

of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

Thanks

RTFT (where T=Tin)

--
Tumbleweed
Remove my socks for email address

Old 06-03-2004, 09:47 PM
martin

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:53:13 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Jan" wrote in message
Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres

of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

Thanks

RTFT (where T=Tin)

RTT where R = Rin :-)
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 06-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Jan
writes
Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

well it does sort of depend a lot on what you are going to paint with.
Read the tine and then err on the side of caution.

I used a spirit based Cuprinol decorative preservative (rather than the
water based paint type stuff, that does nothing except look nice for a
bit)) This is pretty absorbent.

To do about 11 (IIRC) 6x4 panels + 6xa trellis took about 10 L I think.
Certainly well over 5
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 PM
David Hill

".....Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many
litres of paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is
6 x 6 feet, the overlap type panels? ......."

If you are going to use one of the many types of coloured timber
preservative then read the tin.
They all have different coverage.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 PM
nambucca

"Jan" wrote in message
Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many litres

of
paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel is 6 x 6
feet, the overlap type panels?

Thanks

If you are talking fence paint dont forget it tends to peel /flake off

after a while
Better to use something like Ronseal fence preserver ........comes in many
colours

Old 07-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Sue da Nimm

"David Hill" wrote in message
".....Probably this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me how many
litres of paint I need to paint one side of six fence panels, each panel

is
6 x 6 feet, the overlap type panels? ......."

If you are going to use one of the many types of coloured timber
preservative then read the tin.

then add 25% - it never goes as far as they claim!

I've just done BOTH sides of six 6x6 and four 6x5 panels using "Rollable"
Cuprinol. It took two tubs and there was nowt left.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:

water based paint type stuff, that does nothing except look nice for
a bit))

Stuff does seem to make a pretty good job of shrugging off water.

IME, cheap fence panels with no extra protection will last for several
decades PROVIDED you keep the posts in good order.

Under some conditions. Under others, they will collapse within a
few years. If they are exposed to the wind and sun (when there is
any), they are usually OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
wrote:

water based paint type stuff, that does nothing except look nice for
a bit))

Stuff does seem to make a pretty good job of shrugging off water.

When it's new yes. They seem to contain some waxes or something to do
this, but this property doesn't last long (less than a season) nor is it
that important really. The main purpose is just to give a bit of colour
to woodwork, but IMO it does get to look scruffier than the spirit type
ones, which just tend to fade a bit (going by our shed and some other
wood work in our garden)

IME, cheap fence panels with no extra protection will last for several
decades PROVIDED you keep the posts in good order.

most likley yes, we have one than is probably at least 20 years old
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

fence and shed painting jon simspon United Kingdom 37 10-06-2004 04:15 PM
Best way of painting fence panels ? Andrew United Kingdom 7 09-04-2004 09:35 AM
Painting Fence Jan United Kingdom 3 06-03-2004 09:47 PM
Painting Chain Link Fence AuralFeast Gardening 7 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
painting fence margaret Gardening 1 27-04-2003 05:44 AM