Old 10-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Raspberry bush in a pot?

It is of the nature of raspberry canes to drink quite a lot of water and
spread horizontally putting up lots more canes. I would suggest a soil
surface area of around 0.25 sqm per planted cane. Depth is less of an
issue as raspberries are shallow rooting.

Steve Harris

I am VERY interested in this myself. Raspberries are my absolute favorite

summer
fruit and I don't have ground to plant them in............

A quick google threw up the following (from the gardenweb forum):

Thanks for this, Jenny. It looks fairly promising for mine anyway - I've got
it in quite a big pot, and I've only got one cane in there - plenty of
space. The thing seems to be to keep it well-watered in the summer for lots
of fruit, from what I can gather.

Good job I've ordered my council-subsidised water butt!

Andrew

Old 10-03-2004, 09:32 AM
JennyC

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Andrew,
Would you get back to use later and let us all know how much fruit you get one
cane ? I would not think it would be a huge amount :~(

I spent a few weeks picking them one summer on a farm and there were miles of
plants............Of course not all I picked went into the trays :~))

Jenny

Old 10-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Andy Hunt

[...]

:-))))

Of course . . . I will see how it goes. I was thinking that I might not have
that much fruit to begin with, just a 'taster', but my idea is to make wine
out of a variety of berries and stuff, depending on how much I get in the
end. Of course there might not be enough to make wine, so I might be
'forced' to eat them all . . . with cream, of course . . . ! (Or maybe just
during a stroll around my humble 'grounds'!)

And thanks for the good advice, Pam - I'll take your advice about cutting
them back, I didn't know that at all. I am a little 'green' with this stuff!
My garden isn't really big enough to let them grow wild, so it's probably a
good job they're in a pot. I shall have to pay them lots of attention, and
maybe they will reward me! I just wish I hadn't thrown the box away, which
would have told me if they are autumn or summer fruiting, presumably. You
live and learn. I will just have to 'play it by ear'.

Andrew